Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Am I the only person noticing the less than stellar CPU? If he upgraded and OCD I guarantee he'd be sitting pretty at 80+.
    Yeap, but he had some screwed up AA settings and SLI which were causing trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moonstrocity View Post
    Strangely enough, Windowed Mode destroys my performance even further (~20 fps)
    Makes sense. SLI doesn't work for non-fullscreen apps, so you're only running on a single card that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    Makes sense. SLI doesn't work for non-fullscreen apps, so you're only running on a single card that way.
    Running one card is better, that's not the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Am I the only person noticing the less than stellar CPU? If he upgraded and OCD I guarantee he'd be sitting pretty at 80+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Yeap, but he had some screwed up AA settings and SLI which were causing trouble.
    I believe my mainboard supports up to Ivy Bridge, would something like 4930k work better? or what are your suggestions?
    I honestly thought my i7-3930k was a beast? is it not? I guess it definitely was at the time of purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    Yah, I am not a fan of windowed mode anyways. I tend to lose my mouse cursor in the heated moments of arena hah. Talk about tunnel vision.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe my mainboard supports up to Ivy Bridge, would something like 4930k work better? or what are your suggestions?
    I honestly thought my i7-3930k was a beast? is it not? I guess it definitely was at the time of purchase.
    It's great even by today's standards. But WoW is terrible and CPU clock matters a lot. A silly OC from the default 3.8 to ~4.5 would make a good difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    It's great even by today's standards. But WoW is terrible and CPU clock matters a lot. A silly OC from the default 3.8 to ~4.5 would make a good difference.
    I'll see what I can achieve with my Corsair H100i water cooler. My room temperature is around 28C so thats not all that great.

I honestly thought my i7-3930k was a beast? is it not?
    Its still fine if you overclock it. Take the time to research guides on how to overclock your cpu and mainboard. Should be a few on youtube. Take it as far as you can being stable and safe temps.

Calling an 3930k garbage is rubbish. Its old but not that old. Upgrading it for the sake of gaming performance would be a waste imo.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Yes, I agree that a 3930k is still a great cpu and an overclock would go a long way in giving your system some extra breathing room.
    Having a 28c ambient room temperature isn't terrible to start with, and you already have a solid cooler in that H100i, I'm running the H110 myself on my 4670k.

In your position going to a faster single GPU setup would likely be the way I'd go for the next big upgrade.

I'm also running two 680 2gb cards in SLI that I bought for $200 each when the refreshed version(the 770) was still close to $400!
    My next big purchase for this machine will definitely be a faster single GPU card, hoping to be around 100% faster, with 4gb+ of VRAM as games like GTA5 at 2560x1440 can really make use of it.

Thanks guys.

I tried the lazy man approach and used Asus AI Suite II to easily overclock the processor. It successfully overclocked to a stable 4.6GHz and WoW is definitely running much smoother! wow!
    However, it clocked my BCLK to 126 with multiplier of 37. I imagine this is not great since that pushes everything else on the mainboard to limits.
    I also now remember why I left it at stock: the noise! As stock, my machine is silent at 3.2-3.5GHz and once Turbo picks up to 3.8GHz, I hear the fans. I guess I have to make up my mind whether its the performance or the silence I want.

Having said that, and I apologize for going outside the post's topic:
    Is going strictly with just the multiplier to say 100 x 45 is the way to go? without touching BLCK
    Is there a way to have machine throttle down when idle while OCed?

Sorry, shows how incompetent I am at overclocking.

Deleted
    Yes don't touch blck. only multiplier of 100 at cpu speeds. I hope you don't try to overclock with stock fan but by having a decent aftermarket one. If you don't, go with stock speedstill you get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Yes don't touch blck. only multiplier of 100 at cpu speeds. I hope you don't try to overclock with stock fan but by having a decent aftermarket one. If you don't, go with stock speedstill you get one.
    Thanks, my cooler is Corsair H100i, should be fine. I just need to find a good guide so that I touch the correct voltages.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, followed a few overclocking guides.
    I am happy to say I am currently stable at 4.6GHz with 1.384V at full load.
    NOW I get 60FPS in Ashran!!!
    I will see if I can go lower than 1.384V or even attempt 4.7-4.8GHz.

Thank you!
    Last edited by moonstrocity; 2015-09-01 at 05:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn off SLI. I get way less FPS when I SLI my 670's. And doesn't render scale rape FPS? I'd leave it at default.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    Overclock your cpu.

WoW is a cpu bound game. It likes faster cores.
    Almost read GPU there, but yeah, that could work. Don't overclock GPU though.

Overclocking the CPU helps ofc

But why you are running with Render Scale: 200%

Most ppl wont notice going from 200% to 100%, your card is pulling more pixels that you probably cant see.

MSAA is enough, get the renderscale to 100% and enjoy more FPS on scenes were the CPU isnt the bottleneck

Thanks, my cooler is Corsair H100i, should be fine. I just need to find a good guide so that I touch the correct voltages.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, followed a few overclocking guides.
    I am happy to say I am currently stable at 4.6GHz with 1.384V at full load.
    NOW I get 60FPS in Ashran!!!

Thank you!
    The cooler is fine, the fans are eh, I'm not a fan (no pun intended).
    "Correct" voltages is not a thing, since every individual chip is different.
    Voltage and clock seems reasonable though.
    The 3930K is great, really don't upgrade.
    Having a BCLK at >100 is fine if it is 100 with a CPU strap multiplier. If I recall correctly, this is present with the X79 chipsets.

Thank you!
    Monitor those CPU temps. Don't want to over heat
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    Turn off SLI. I get way less FPS when I SLI my 670's. And doesn't render scale rape FPS? I'd leave it at default.
    Yup, already did and it definitely runs way better

Quote Originally Posted by ttak82 View Post
    Almost read GPU there, but yeah, that could work. Don't overclock GPU though.
    I wouldn't know how to OC the GPU anyways haha

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Overclocking the CPU helps ofc

But why you are running with Render Scale: 200%

Most ppl wont notice going from 200% to 100%, your card is pulling more pixels that you probably cant see.

MSAA is enough, get the renderscale to 100% and enjoy more FPS on scenes were the CPU isnt the bottleneck
    Yup, got Renderscale to 100% and playing strictly with MSAA as suggested in earlier posts. It definitely was a life changer.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The cooler is fine, the fans are eh, I'm not a fan (no pun intended).
    "Correct" voltages is not a thing, since every individual chip is different.
    Voltage and clock seems reasonable though.
    The 3930K is great, really don't upgrade.
    Having a BCLK at >100 is fine if it is 100 with a CPU strap multiplier. If I recall correctly, this is present with the X79 chipsets.
    I replaced the fans (and all other fans in my system) with Noctua. There is no comparison in quality, so much quieter and so much more efficient when it comes to airflow. Now if I can find a good 200mm fan, that will take the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    Monitor those CPU temps. Don't want to over heat
    Currently the MAX average temperature across all the cores i get is 57C during WoW game play. I tried stressing with Prime95 and that goes to 61C. Is it OK?
    Last edited by moonstrocity; 2015-09-01 at 06:03 PM.

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hi guys,

Can anyone pretty please shed some light or give advice why i get such horrific frame rates with a fairly powerful setup?

CPU: i7 3930k non OC
    SSD: Plextor M3P 256GB
    GPU: 2x EVGA 680 GTX Classified in SLI

This setup should crush WoW! I get great fps in games like Metro Last Light, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite (minimum of 60 fps).
    Yet in WoW, i get measly 30-40ish frames in a heavy zone like Stormshield. I hear people get over 100 fps easy on a single 780. 2x 680 classified cards should be equivalent.

I launch the game via Nvidia GeForce Experience with setting optimized as follows:

Full Screen
    Anti-aliasing: Custom
    Depth Effect: High
    Environment Detail: Ultra
    Graphics API: DirectX 11
    Ground Clutter: Ultra
    Lighting Quality: High
    Liquid Detail: Ultra
    MSAA: Color 8x / Depth 8x
    Multisample Alpha Test: Enabled
    Particle Density: High
    PPAA: None
    Projected Textures: Enabled
    Render Scale: 200%
    Resample Quality: Bicubic
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Shadow Quality: Ultra
    Show new Character Modes: Enabled
    SSAO: Ultra (NVIDIA HBAO+)
    Sunshafts: High
    Texture Filtering: 16x Antisotropic
    Texture Resolution: High
    View Distance: Ultra

I have to drop to "Good" performance in order to gain some 5 frames or so.
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks!
    if someone already mentioned this, then ignore however:
    1. Blizzard WoW tech support explains all you need to know.
    2. WoW is a single GPU game with no support of SLI - (last time I checked).
    3. Your CPU is beast but you will always hit the wall in areas with (high effects and people).
    4. Server / Router communications can crush FPS via lag no matter the machine you boast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedwin View Post
    4. Server / Router communications can crush FPS via lag no matter the machine you boast.
    Nope. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Currently the MAX average temperature across all the cores i get is 57C during WoW game play. I tried stressing with Prime95 and that goes to 61C. Is it OK?
    I dont like going over 80C during a stress test like Prime95 so those temps are good

Technically you can go higher and still be safe I just choose not to.