Poll: Would you still buy store mounts if we had recolors in game?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would you still buy store mounts if we had recolors in game?

For me, the problem with the store mounts isn't that Blizzard is using them to make extra money, but that they limit the options of what can be available in game.

Some mounts, like the Celestial Steed and Mystic Runesaber, are generally disconnected from the in-game races, factions and environments. They stand out as store mounts and they are fine like that.

But more and more of them seem to be plucked from the world, greatly limiting what could be some very flavorful and cool rewards from factions and other in-game sources. Starting with the Armored Bloodwing, which was the bat mount people have been asking for for ages as a troll or undead flyer, up to the WoD creatures that are found all over Draenor but can only be bought from the store.

I'm wondering if we can find a compromise here that allows Blizzard to make extra cash from selling mounts without actually taking away from the game. So, would you still buy a store mount if you knew that a different version already existed, or would later be made available in game? I'm curious what mount buyers think.
    Last edited by Coconut; 2015-08-24 at 08:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

I would however buy for an example: a mount with extra details/armor/effects, even* if there was one in the game with the same base model.

I don't buy store mount however, because none of them seem worth it. Especially since I really enjoy many ofbthe already existing mounts obtainable ingame.
    Last edited by Krekal; 2015-08-24 at 08:11 AM. Reason: *
    im cool pls respodn

I think it should go like this:

One version of a particular model mount available though normal means in game with a default colour scheme.

Another version of said mount available through store, but with an in game options section to customise the mount (like barbershop).. Say being able to change different coloured skin and highlights/features on the mount - or say the mount has a customisable flag or crest on it, to be able to choose between your guild crest, Alliance/Horde flag or another faction perhaps?

That to me would make store bought mounts worth the buy in.

Deleted
    I have a Battle.net gift card and I've still not brought anything. Mounts aren't that important to me, especially paid for ones (although they look the highest quality) just aren't something i need to have. I'll still try get all the rare ones but as i worgen I just run on all fours

Quote Originally Posted by diarx View Post

One version of a particular model mount available though normal means in game with a default colour scheme.

Another version of said mount available through store, but with an in game options section to customise the mount (like barbershop).. Say being able to change different coloured skin and highlights/features on the mount - or say the mount has a customisable flag or crest on it, to be able to choose between your guild crest, Alliance/Horde flag or another faction perhaps?

But the point is to balance store mounts with in-game rewards to make people interested in playing the game, not making store mounts even more special.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would just rather they have more interesting things to do in game that have the potential to reward a mount. Even something as simple as just adding new mounts to old dungeons/raids like they did with pets.

Why are "Timewalking" dungeons so limited? Add all dungeons to a queue, and have the character scale to the dungeon, add new pets/mounts/toys/tabards/transmogs as a small chance to the loot table, then watch the bitching about "Nothing to do" drop by like 50%.

I wouldn't buy mounts from the store either way, but if there were a more engaging way of getting unique/rare mounts in the game as well as the shop, I think it would help to keep people from focusing so much on it.
    Last edited by Zenotetsuken; 2015-08-24 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    I would just rather they have more interesting things to do in game that have the potential to reward a mount. Even something as simple as just adding new mounts to old dungeons/raids like they did with pets.

Why are "Timewalking" dungeons so limited? Add all dungeons to a queue, and have the character scale to the dungeon, add new pets/mounts/toys/tabards/transmogs as a small chance to the loot table, then watch the bitching about "Nothing to do" drop by like 50%.

I wouldn't buy mounts from the store either way, but if there were a more engaging way of getting unique/rare mounts in the game as well as the shop, I think it would help to keep people from focusing so much on it.
    Pets are easier because they can just scale down existing models. Mounts models & skins are limited, and the older ones are already starting to show their age.

I'm more concerned that the amount of raid & dungeon mounts is decreasing, so there will be less "old content" to farm in future expansions. MoP only had raid mounts, none form dungeons, and WoD only has 2 mythic mounts.

I don't buy mounts or store bullshit anyway because Actiblizzard just uses it to fund shows about Warcraft motorcycles and to further develop useless non Warcraft shit like pokemon. They have enough money from box costs and subs, and they won't even put it to good use.

Mount count is mount count. Would buy them regardless. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diarx View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    But the point is to balance store mounts with in-game rewards to make people interested in playing the game, not making store mounts even more special.
    Dude, that was a good example on how to "balance" something that doesn't really have a way to be "balanced". The store mount should and will always have a little extra special feel than the FREE ingame one that you just need to obtain.

Recolors aren't a good business plan for 25 dollars Vs. your what, 1 dollar mount for camping some spawn point or killing some old content or RNG drop.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only ever received two mounts from the store to begin with. The celestial steed was given to me as a gift years ago, and when the enchanted fey dragon came out, I bought that one myself because I really loved it.

It doesn't bother me that I've since gotten Invincible (same model, different skin). I still use the celestial steed on my random mount button.

That being said, it depends. If I really loved a store mount, and it had a different skin from what I could get in game, I would probably buy it. If it was just simply a different color? Probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You miss the option "Yes for the sake of collection". They give an incentive to collect everything. 2 mounts with same model and different color is still 2 different mounts. But I hate to pay for it.

Deleted
    It depends on how hard it would be to get the ingame mount. I love mounts for soloable achievements or raid achievements such as Glory of the X raider, but I would never farm for TLPD for example. Plus, I might prefer the store-colour version over the ingame one. I would continue to buy storemounts. At least I don't have the double standard of bashing store-mount buyers and at the same time buying game time tokens with ingame gold, tokens which have been paid for by other players with real money for a higher price than subscriptions..

There is always a "right" color for a mount - for example an alliance mount would be blue+gold. If the store has the "right" color and we would only get "wrong" recolors in game (i.e. Alliance mount with green+silver design) I would still buy the store mount. Same with cosmetic sets.

This is the right color for Paladin T2:

Imagine this design only available in the shop and in-game you can get this:

I would still consider getting the "right" one.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2015-08-24 at 12:57 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted
    I don't buy mounts anyway. They are too expensive for my wallet. It costs about as much as I get for 1 day work.... I guess people in richer countries find them not expensive, but some like me do! They are especially expensive if I compare them with the price of a whole new game. 3 mounts costs as much as a whole game? Seroiusly??! 5$ would be a considerable price for me.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I don't buy store mounts. Blergh!

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Dude, that was a good example on how to "balance" something that doesn't really have a way to be "balanced". The store mount should and will always have a little extra special feel than the FREE ingame one that you just need to obtain.

Recolors aren't a good business plan for 25 dollars Vs. your what, 1 dollar mount for camping some spawn point or killing some old content or RNG drop.
    1. In game mounts aren't really "free" since you pay for the expansions and you pay for the sub. Just because store mounts are overpriced by comparison it doesn't mean they are "free". On top of that, they require a time investment from the player, which may very well be worth more than 25$ to them. Stop using that argument, it's a plain and clear fallacy.

2. But that's exactly what I'm trying to find out from this poll... It's not a bad business plan if people would still buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    There is always a "right" color for a mount - for example an alliance mount would be blue+gold. If the store has the "right" color and we would only get "wrong" recolors in game (i.e. Alliance mount with green+silver design) I would still buy the store mount. Same with cosmetic sets.
    In some cases yes. As I said, I wouldn't expect an in-game version of Mystic Runesaber. But other creatures are made to have multiple colors, like the rylaks and the ravagers; either one of the many examples is "right".

For the Grinning Reaver, you can even say that yellow is right, because that's what the Laughing Skull are using and that's what you can find in the wild in Gorgrond... but players can't get a yellow one sadly because there's only a red one in the store.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I prefer a store mount to be unique enough that people can see what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    You miss the option "Yes for the sake of collection". They give an incentive to collect everything. 2 mounts with same model and different color is still 2 different mounts. But I hate to pay for it.
    My mistake, it should have been wanted rather than liked, but it's a minor difference... Feel free to still pick the first option.

Why not implement another Token that can be earned with Gold that can then be redeemed for a Mount.
    - RIP Notorius Thugz - Miss you guys