Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Trump signs Loyalty Pledge

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/

Donald Trump on Thursday signed a loyalty pledge to the Republican Party -- and, with that, the renegade candidate became a little less of a renegade and a party establishment unsure of what to do with the bedeviling front-runner brought him more fully into its embrace.

The document the GOP presidential front-runner signed promises that he will support the Republican nominee in next year’s general election, effectively ruling out a third-party or independent run.

“I will be totally pledging my allegiance to the Republican Party and the conservative principles for which it stands,” Trump said at an event at Trump Tower in New York, surrounded by backers holding “TRUMP” posters next to the skyscraper’s steep elevators. He held up the single sheet of paper with his name scribbled in thick black marker. “We will go out and fight hard, and we will win. We will win,” he said.

The bustling scene, attended by a crowd of reporters and television cameras, was more political theater than the marking of a formal pact, since Trump is under no legal obligation to abide by the political document.

But the promise, which Trump has long avoided making, does bring him closer to a party whose rank-and-file activists he has thrilled this summer and whose leadership has at times viewed his rapid ascent with alarm — especially the prospect of an outside bid that could siphon away votes from the eventual Republican standard-bearer.

Thoughts? I think this is a good thing in that one of the few things I disliked about Trump was the unspoken idea that presented after the debate. IE: "Nominate me, or else I screw you and split the vote". It definitely lays to bed the fear among conservatives that Trump might split the vote and allow Hillary to slip in. Race just got a whole lot more interesting and the Republican's just plugged the biggest concern many had.

Discuss, but keep it civil.

Thats what we need, making sure to lock us into a two party system at any cost. Clearly what is best for the people >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Thats what we need, making sure to lock us into a two party system at any cost. Clearly what is best for the people >.>
    I can't argue with you on that count, and agree the current system is flawed. Unfortunately there seems no stomach to change it. I think that's one reason Trump's remained a fixture despite saying some stuff that would of torpedoed any other person. People figure what you do Xeones, that the system is broke but not completely. People still have the ability to oppose X Party by consolidatinh in a loyal opposition, and then pushing a candidate that is different. Trump IS regardless of if you love or hate him "different".

So, I suppose that's better than everyone wanting change and not being able to do anything because:
    "King Koopa (to quote The Mario Bros Movie) never loses. He just de-evolves his rivals".

10+ Year Old Account
    When has he abided by anything when it didn't suite him?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I don't think it means anything of significance. If he thought he had a better chance at winning as an independent, he would run as such and still might.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suspect he'll break the vow if he isn't picked.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'm not sure it means much. Its not a legal document. He can still go independent. Some people might attack him for going back on his word if he does, but maybe breaking away from the GOP turns out to be a net positive at some point.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I like to think this is correct. It is more likely that he is just another sell out I tried to like him, but he is just as weak and wimpy as the rest of the others, just with a more aggressive posture. But it's all a lie

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I like to think this is correct. It is more likely that he is just another sell out I tried to like him, but he is just as weak and wimpy as the rest of the others, just with a more aggressive posture. But it's all a lie
    What specifically makes you think he is weak and wimpy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder what would happen to the GOP if he broke said pledge. I could see he support evaporating if he goes back on his word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

It's awful how Trump went back on his word and caved into this pledge. I was looking forward to seeing the chaos of Trump ruining every election for the GOP for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Wonder what would happen to the GOP if he broke said pledge. I could see he support evaporating if he goes back on his word.
    Not all of his current supporters would vote for him as an independent, but enough of them would to clinch the election for the Democrats, if he did decide to break the pledge. That's why the GOP would be extremely stupid to try to rig the primary against Trump or treat him unfairly in any way. He is absolutely the type of guy who would break a pledge like this if he feels he's been disrespected, just to spite them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    It's awful how Trump went back on his word and caved into this pledge. I was looking forward to seeing the chaos of Trump ruining every election for the GOP for years to come.
    He didn't go back on his word. He didn't say that he would never sign the pledge, he just refused to sign it earlier. And the only reason he signed it is because he wouldn't be allowed on the South Carolina ballot otherwise, so I wouldn't put too much stock into it. I think Trump has every intention of ruining the election for the GOP if he doesn't get the nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    That's what I'm thinking.

He serves only his self interest. What's his self-interest in doing this? What does he get out of it?

I think it's odd that they had to have him SIGN something... I mean, why sign it? What are they going to do - sue him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
    It's a common assumption about those who bully with money and are born with a silver spoon in his mouth... Remember, being a blow hard and wimpy are not mutually exclusive...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
    Never see any of those publicity photos of him like jogging or working out.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    He's no chump, he pays other people to exercise for him!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I'm sure they were referring to his character rather than his physical prowess, you can tell just by looking at the man that he doesn't get enough exercise.

Why is he weak and wimpy? He has had ONE major decision to make... and he backed down without even putting up a fight. If he can't fight the mainstream Republican leadership when he is on top, he would totally fail if he were elected president and the stakes were much higher.

Trump is weak. Trump is wimpy. I am very disappointed in him, and was really hoping he would fight for what he obsessively talks about.

Before: I disagreed with him more than I agreed with him, but I respected him.
    Now: He is just another Rand Paul, another person who just plain sold himself out. When Rand Paul was elected, I read his original National Budget, and although I did not always agrees with his policies, as a whole it made sense and I could see how it could benefit America if enacted in one kind of intact piece. Since then, while he has had moments of glory (like the 11 hours he spent filibustering drones), mostly he has faded away as he has sold himself out to the highest bidder.

Despite his billions, Trump is no better than, and just as weak as, Rand Paul.
    On the one hand - at least they tried for a while. On the other hand - they both were too weak and wimpy to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    That's what I'm thinking.

He serves only his self interest. What's his self-interest in doing this? What does he get out of it?

I think it's odd that they had to have him SIGN something... I mean, why sign it? What are they going to do - sue him?
    The GOP was threatening to exclude any candidates who didn't sign the pledge from further debates. In essence the GOP is in full on nightmare mode and is grasping at any straws they can to prevent two things: 1. Trump winning the nomination 2. Trump not winning and running third party. Either one of those two guarantees the Democrats win the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Why is he weak and wimpy? He has had ONE major decision to make
    If you're referring to him signing the pledge, it all depends on if he intends to follow through with it or not. If he does follow through with it, then I agree he is weak and wimpy. But I think he will break it if he doesn't get the nomination, he will break it and run as an independent. The GOP pretty much forced him to sign it by refusing to let him on the South Carolina ballot otherwise.