Poll: What do you call these?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Firespark View Post
    "Scallions" seems to be mostly an american thing. To the rest of the world they're Spring Onions or Green Onions.
    I don't think so lived all over america; never knew what a scallion was until this thread. Green onions forever.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Long onion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are Scallions. Spring Onions have a larger bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    They are onions.

The white part would have grown into a proper onion if it wasn't harvested early.

Harvesting them early turns them into "Green Onions" because the big green edible stalk.
    What? No. A spring onion will never become an onion, they are spring onions. Some do produce bulbs but that is because of the variety and I am not aware of any that get even close to onion like that are still called spring onions.

Related:

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Spring onion

Leeks look similar but are bigger

If you leave spring onions in the ground for a long time they will start to look like leeks, they can get that big, but in most places they will bolt and become "woody" and inedible. Where I live they never bolt, just got done with some that were 2 years old, still amazing tasting but hard to prepare in the normal fashion lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    What? No. A spring onion will never become an onion, they are spring onions. Some do produce bulbs but that is because of the variety and I am not aware of any that get even close to onion like that are still called spring onions.

Related:

If you leave spring onions in the ground for a long time they will start to look like leeks, they can get that big, but in most places they will bolt and become "woody" and inedible. Where I live they never bolt, just got done with some that were 2 years old, still amazing tasting but hard to prepare in the normal fashion lol.
    If you leave them in the ground all summer they are normal onions.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I call them disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    The don patch sword. Or possibly the Don patch hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    Har du aldrig varit i ett jävla kök eller människa?
    Mästerkocken här för fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    If you leave them in the ground all summer they are normal onions.
    I just looked this up and apparently we are in fact talking about 2 different things, "green onions" etc will never form a bulb. I have never seen a "spring onion".

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I call them disgusting.
    Heathen

I just looked this up and apparently we are in fact talking about 2 different things, "green onions" etc will never form a bulb. I have never seen a "spring onion".

Heathen
    Actually looks like some varieties do and some don't form onion bulbs.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Scallions...

Weeds, too. We had wild ones growing in our yard when I lived in VA when I was a kid :P My dad couldn't get rid of them at all.

That's spring onion, it's almost identical to leek however smaller. Looks rather small on the image so I'd go with spring onion. You don't want leek in salad

Chimbonkwa conche, or as it is colloquially known, smelly flutegrass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heathen
    I also sometimes refer to them as "A pestilence upon the land."

When abroad

Scallions/Spring onions/Green onions

in the Netherlands they are also sold under the name "bosuien" which translates into forest/bundle onions (bos can used for forest and for a bundle or bouquet, although the later is generally used that way for flowers)

It's not a leak, those are large and fibrous.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2015-09-08 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    It's not a leak, those are large and fibrous. It's not a scallion, those are thin. This is a green onion. They're all different for the purposes of cooking. If you say otherwise, you don't know much about cooking.
    You say that and don't know that scallions and green onions are the same thing lol.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard both scallion and green onion about equally where I live. Never heard anyone say spring onion

I think "skullion" might just be a different pronunciation of scallion
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    You say that and don't know that scallions and green onions are the same thing lol.
    Actually on taking another look, I was getting chives and scallions mixed up. I stand corrected.

Spring onion, southern England yo.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh