Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Please mr bandwagoner, tell us how they are villains.

- - - Updated - - -

Please do tell us how you know they cost more than the money from the land they grant the proceeds to the government makes. please tell us how they cost more than tourism they bring in makes.

Can't wait to hear about it.
    Because it's public knowledge privy to anyone willing to do the research. As are the incomes of every other royalty or politician in European countries. Here in The Netherlands, the kings income is published on the official government website, for instance.

Also, they do not bring tourism. Unlike the pope in Rome, barely anyone gives a rat's ass about your queen. You don't see mass touristic influx when she's about to wave a hand from her balcony. Nobody cares.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2015-09-09 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0R71Z720150907

When will the world be free of these villains?

2015 and we still have a monarchy as head of state of so many countries.

Since the populace of most if not all of those countries actually do want their monarchies to keep being such, why should we be "free" of them? Or I'm just putting unnecessary importance into the whole "democracy-thing"?

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Because it's public knowledge privy to anyone willing to do the research. As are the incomes of every other royalty or politician in European countries. Here in The Netherlands, the kings income is published on the official government website, for instance.
    Waiting on the numbers.

You're telling me that with property values going nowhere but UP the money they give the UK from those very property values is LESS than they cost? As of 2011 the royals were costing what 40 million a year? and the money they directly contributed to the government was what 200 million ish? So even in 2011 you were making 160 million flat profit on them. Not including the tourism bonus.

Hell with the rising land values you probably do make a net 200 million profit now.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Also, they do not bring tourism. Unlike the pope in Rome, barely anyone gives a rat's ass about your queen. You don't see mass touristic influx when she's about to wave a hand from her balcony. Nobody cares.
    Come back when you have ANY clue about London tourism. Like a penny worth of knowledge.

You must have missed all the turmoil when the Prince got married, his wife got pregnant, gave birth etc. Do you know how many tourists came and how much merchandise was sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    Since the populace of most if not all of those countries actually do want their monarchies to keep being such, why should we be "free" of them? Or I'm just putting unnecessary importance into the whole "democracy-thing"?
    And that's what baffles me. Do they actually want this? Polls show that grand part of the Dutch inhabitants would rather have that their tax money went to something other than paying Beatrix' €40.000 monthly salary, William's and Harry's €4500 monthly salary and Maxima's €30000 monthly salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Come back when you have ANY clue about London tourism. Like a penny worth of knowledge.

You must have missed all the turmoil when the Prince got married, his wife got pregnant, gave birth etc. Do you know how many tourists came and how much merchandise was sold?
    You call that turmoil? The BBC dedicates a week worth of news to an insignificant occurrence - big surprise. But if you think that marriage was responsible for any significant tourism, you're delusional.

Anyway, think whatever you want.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2015-09-09 at 10:02 AM.

And that's what baffles me. Do they actually want this? Polls show that grand part of the Dutch inhabitants would rather have that their tax money went to something other than paying Beatrix' €40.000 monthly salary, William's and Harry's €4500 monthly salary and Maxima's €30000 monthly salary.

Naturally, I don't have a vast knowledge about the details of why the dutch or the british (well more so in regards to the british) do want their monarchies to remain as such, but when it comes to my own country, Sweden, there's no discussion whatsoever - yes we do. Only a small percentage doesn't want us to have a royal house, and the appanage is not really a contested thing in any greater sense, whether the existance or the size of it. We realize quite well that it is a net gain in the end (probably wouldn't really be contested even if it wasn't). The political parties wanting to turn us into a republic, keep very quiet about it - they realize that pushing the issue will lead to bad things for them, in the opinion polls.

15+ Year Old Account
    It really is impossible to figure out the true cost/gain of the monarchy, which is why no one has managed to do so. It's their salaries, upkeep of estates, cost of security and other services, accommodating visits, loss of revenue from their bank holidays (and the question of whether or not that should count), and a thousand other ways in which they cost money. Then there's the estates and the question of whether or not that income would remain without them (who would get the land?), the tourism, the media income, sales boosted by their "trademark" and souvenirs, diplomatic gains, etc.

It'd be easier to discuss it on non-monetary grounds. Do you like the idea of a monarchy? What they represent, what they bring to the nation, the ceremonial duties, the diplomatic functions, the grand events (weddings, births), the cultural preservation, the image they project onto the country. Or maybe you hate the idea on principle of paying them or granting power out of birthright, or think the monarchy stands for something oppressive or undemocratic.

Personally, I like the Norwegian monarchy for the cultural value and the ceremonial duties they provide, and whatever cost/gain they might be financially, it's so tiny that it really doesn't figure into to it for me. I also like the idea of a monarch removed from politics that still has the power to intervene if the political elite gravely abuse/misuse their position. In reality it's very unlikely to happen, but it's a nice thought.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-09-09 at 10:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And how exactly does your royal family generate money? Because they don't. On the contrary, they COST money. The ridiculously high income the individually receives, comes from your wallet; a whopping 38 million pound sterling, excluding her personal investment portfolio and privy purse!. Those tourists you mention, don't give two shits about your queen, heck, barely any tourists ever get a glimpse of her royally worthless ass. They come for London's architectural masterpieces, which needn't cease to exist without royalty.

The royal family is indeed British heritage. Heritage you shouldn't be proud of. Nobility has done you more wrongs than rights, not to mention the way both Scotland and Ireland have been treated throughout the centuries.

Regardless of history, their existence is futile and they are leeches on the hard working average Joe.
    The current Royal family is more Scottish than English, stop getting your history from Mel Gibson movies.

The income from the Crown Estates more than covers what the Royal family cost.

They're popular with the British public, astoundingly so.

They provide a cultural focus for the UK and tie into our history.

An elected head of state wouldn't do a better job, considering the Prime Minister would still have the power, and would likely be divisive - President Thatcher/Blair/Brown...yikes!

It's not a perfect system, but it works for us. Changing it for the sake of change would be utterly pointless.

When you live on an island, its good to own land.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The current Royal family is more Scottish than English, stop getting your history from Mel Gibson movies.
    I have no idea what this has to do with the crimes of nobility in the past, but good job at making a funny, I liked it.

Also, don't mess with Mel! He's the best British actor in Ireland!

They live off their own money, so whats the issue?

Anyway i saw the announcement of various commemorative trinkets/coins about her 2 weeks ago and i was thinking to myself, morbid, how funny would be if she didnt make it, and died 1-2 days before the date and they had spend already so much money on a commemoration that wouldnt happen :P

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    If Liz had popped her clogs before becoming the longest serving(?) monarch, those coins would be worth a small fortune.
    Most likely yeah, probably even have a whole mythos build around them for being "cursed"

I love the Queen.

Sure, she was born into riches but she's given pretty much every minute of her life to this country and its continued promotion. Even now she's nearing 90 she still works tirelessly and does just as many appearances and international meetings.

Considering there are so many people who inherit more and then spend their lives paying 0 tax and doing whatever they fuck they want, I don't know how people can still target the Queen.

The government actually makes all of the money from the Queens land and gives her a fixed salary to live on; This is a VOLUNTARY arrangement that she opts in to. We actually make MILLIONS of profit from this agreement. So all of this increase in prices of her land is benefitting everyone.

Get your facts right before you moan about the royal family.. .

Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2015-09-09 at 11:03 AM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    I love the Queen because she makes millions butt hurt just for existing, the British tax payer pays her 56p per year but I will happily go up to a whole quid if she steps up her trolling game.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2015-09-09 at 11:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0R71Z720150907

When will the world be free of these villains?

2015 and we still have a monarchy as head of state of so many countries.
    Yes because an elected head of state means you can just blame others for voting them in instead. Same problems, different people. Troll thread much ¬¬

They absolutely do, I don't but others really do. You can go down to Buckingham palace on pretty any day of the year and it is filled with tourists, and by filled I mean on a nice day you can't even walk around. Tour directors always stop there, merchandise about them is sold in buckets.

A few years ago, it was reported the Monarchy brought in around half a billion pounds in tourism.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2015-09-09 at 11:10 AM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    the British tax payer pays her 56p per year but I will happily to up to a whole quid if she steps up her trolling game.
    I HATE people quoting that in so many anti-monarchy articles.

Well yes, we pay her 56p per year for her salary.. but the government makes over 280mil on her land... so we're actually all about £2 better off each year becuause of that 56p. You can't JUST show half the story.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2015-09-09 at 11:11 AM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    I HATE people quoting that in so many anti-monarchy articles.

Well yes, we pay her 56p per year for her salary.. but the government makes over 200mil on her land... so we're actually all about £2 better off each year becuause of that 56p. You can't JUST show half the story.
    In that case I demand a free stamp.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    As a Brit I am probably one of us few who actually like the royals
    Actually we're by far in the majority, it's just the whiners are more obvious due to the noise of the whining. You only need to look at the difference between the massive turnout for a royal event and the comical turnout for an anti-monarchy protest to see the truth

It's actually a proven fact that the monarchy makes a net profit for the UK (they bring in more via tourism/etc than they cost the taxpayer) yet dumb people still whine about facism/etc because they don't know what they are talking about and have no desire to learn, it's quite sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Actually we're by far in the majority, it's just the whiners are more obvious due to the noise of the whining. You only need to look at the difference between the massive turnout for a royal event and the comical turnout for an anti-monarchy protest to see the truth

It's actually a proven fact that the monarchy makes a net profit for the UK (they bring in more via tourism/etc than they cost the taxpayer) yet dumb people still whine about facism/etc because they don't know what they are talking about and have no desire to learn, it's quite sad.
    can almost replicate this to wow, it seems like there are more whiners than people who enjoy the game simply because those who are butthurt are more likely to cry their eyes out on forums than those who appreciate the game do, because...they are playing :P