Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should the FED do rate hikes? (US)

The US has had 0% interest for over 7 years. If we had rate hikes it would give evidence that the economy is doing well. There is some other evidence that things are okay, like low unemployment, but the counter argument is that those are low paying jobs which were added since 2008.

In general, is the US economy doing well or is it healthy enough to start adding interest again?

Quote Originally Posted by The3rdCatalyst View Post
    The US has had 0% interest for over 7 years. If we had rate hikes it would give evidence that the economy is doing well. There is some other evidence that things are okay, like low unemployment, but the counter argument is that those are low paying jobs which were added since 2008.

In general, is the US economy doing well or is it healthy enough to start adding interest again?
    So many people have gotten onto ridiculously low rate mortgages and purchased houses even though they couldn't afford them if interest rates were realistic. I guarantee you any significant increase in the prime interest rate is going to lead to another housing market collapse/foreclosure crisis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    The problem is that the economy isn't doing well, unless you believe the phony numbers put out by the gov't on a regular basis now. The threat that they'll raise interest rates is a ploy to get foreign buyers for U.S. treasuries, which helps prop up the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    So many people have gotten onto ridiculously low rate mortgages and purchased houses even though they couldn't afford them if interest rates were realistic. I guarantee you any significant increase in the prime interest rate is going to lead to another housing market collapse/foreclosure crisis.
    I think that is the idea why the FED will not. If the economy isn't growing but is just being expanded with inflation then by increasing interest will pop the bubble. On the other hand if things are okay then people would theoretically start seeing a country wide growth..

Yes the economy is fine raise the rates.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

5% unemployment rate, more jobs than there are workers to fill them. Times are good. China seems to have settled down.

I bet she raises the rates.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    5% unemployment rate, more jobs than there are workers to fill them. Times are good. China seems to have settled down.

I bet she raises the rates.
    I hope the stock market doesn't dip hard on rates going up I mean going from 0 to even 1% isn't going to have people move their money into banks.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Zirp is like the invasion of Iraq, made people feel good that we were responding to being attacked on 9/11. When we pulled out it was a disaster. Thing is, occupying a country for 100 years isn't a plan. Zirp made a collapsed economy feel good, but when reality sets in everything will crash. The other option is to become Japan, and run zirp and qe for 30 more years and still have no results. Zirp and qe fuck over everyone but the banking elite

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I hope the stock market doesn't dip hard on rates going up I mean going from 0 to even 1% isn't going to have people move their money into banks.
    No but for the people I mentioned 1% turns a 775 dollar a month mortgage payment into an 875 dollar a month mortgage payment and that's make or break for some of them.

No but for the people I mentioned 1% turns a 775 dollar a month mortgage payment into an 875 dollar a month mortgage payment and that's make or break for some of them.
    No sane person has a variable mortgage

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, someone's using the word "Fed" correctly! /applaud

No, they shouldn't, because I want to buy a house soonish and I want good rates.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    No sane person has a variable mortgage
    Yeah. That's my point. The only reason somebody would get a variable mortgage is because they were desperate to get a mortgage, and some shiesty mortgage broker was like "Yeah...don't worry, interest rates haven't gone up in the last 8 years." So the people on variable mortgages are the people who are make or break at an extra 1%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    The stock market can lose their shit all they want. The market has temporary tantrums when they see something they don't like, but they always bounce back up.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    My brain must be broken because that looks like a 10% increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Hey, someone's using the word "Fed" correctly! /applaud

No, they shouldn't, because I want to buy a house soonish and I want good rates.
    Yea they should keep it down longer, they would be crowding people out of purchasing homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    My brain must be broken because that looks like a 10% increase.
    1% interest over decades yielding a 12% increase in total cost of a house. Google has a mortgage calculator, and if you play with the cost of the house and percent to get ~$775 a month, adding 1% pushes the monthly payment to $881/mo

Yep time to do it.

Doing so will also strike another blow against emerging...err I mean submerging markets, so that's always fun.

Deleted
    It`d be a perfect albeit small bitchslap to countries like China.

And who can object to that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Rates wouldn't go up 1% immediately. A quarter or half percent is more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Rates wouldn't go up 1% immediately. A quarter or half percent is more realistic.
    The median personal income in the US is only 26k a year. Even .25% is a lot sucky for a lot of people.