Page 1 of 30
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Healthy Masculinity Week" at Vanderbilt university to help men be more masculine

Explore healthy masculinity through various lenses: American society, the gay and bisexual community, fraternities, and more.
    http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2015/09/h...begin-sept-14/

The Women’s Center worked with campus partners such as the Interfraternity Council, the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex Life, the Office of Religious Life and the Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center to develop a week of programs that would address masculinity from a range of diverse perspectives.

“Because a university is a place dedicated to critical thinking, having a week devoted to an exploration of masculinity will allow the Vanderbilt community to think about how boys and men are pressured to behave, and to consider that what might be considered masculine norms sometimes harm men, who aren’t always taught that emotional vulnerability, cooperation and sensitivity are valuable human traits.”
    Last edited by Tennis; 2015-09-14 at 04:22 PM.

Deleted
    This is awesome. It will probably get alot of shit on these forums but thats because 90% of mmo-champ needs a training like this and they know it. But you know, fuck mirrors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Masculinity is dead. Going by me, my circle of friends and acquaintances.
    And that's a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dig it. I like to think I have a decent enough sense of masculinity, all while being able to express myself emotionally.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Since when is majoring in business masculine? They talk with people and sit at a table.

Oh and Will Smith told me 20 years ago there's no shame in crying, thank you.

Sounds suspiciously like it's "how to be less masculine while calling it the new masculinity".

Masculinity XXL? the portrayal of Manhood in Magic Mike

You walk into the room only to get beaten, because no man watches a movie about male stripers...

Seriously though, what points on Masculinity could be taught?

Healthy masculinity will be modeled by a good father and other positive role models, and this will take place much earlier in life than the college years. If some poor guy really needs the women's center of a university to teach him masculinity, the ship has largely already sailed.

you can learn to be masculine all year round @ da gym
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Dunno about the rest, but The Mask You Live In sounds interesting.

Deleted
    Winter Blossom would love this initiative.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's so many effeminate guys these days who could probably benefit, especially at starbucks for some reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean "to help men be more masculine"?

The whole program looks like discussions of what they think are problems of masculinity.

Deleted
    I'm kind of curious as to the actual content of this program, post up some details if you can find any

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    The whole program looks like discussions of what they think are problems of masculinity.
    You sound jaded, I wonder why!

Just scratch your nutts a lot, maybe other parts of your body. Women don't scratch.

Same with farting.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    If you need or attend training like this, you're already a lost cause.
    If you are what people would describe as a masculine man and are thoroughly unhappy it could be just the thing. We all live in Saturns Shadow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    You sound jaded, I wonder why!
    Jaded? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    If you need or attend training like this, you're already a lost cause.
    You mean they're not man enough?.
    Or maybe it's not training, but debate.
    To be honest, I'm not even surprised this is a thing. Boys are constantly requested to "grow some balls", and then accused of "toxic masculinity". They're reminded of how inadequate they are. Then some (many? all?) grow up to be not adequate. And the attitude is to attack them again with the very same concept: you were a lost cause by definition, now you already are a lost cause for trying to figure out why.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Sounds suspiciously like it's "how to be less masculine while calling it the new masculinity".
    Pretty much. It's less "Healthy Masculinity Week", and more "Learn to be fine with your Immasculinity Week".

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Dunno about the rest, but The Mask You Live In sounds interesting.
    I wonder what's going to happen to a generation of boys who are taught that masculine=bad and feminine=good. Interesting, indeed.