Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    The left expresses a great deal of hatrid towards religion and religious people then has to turn face Hispanics who are strongly religious.
    No, it really doesn't. You're just acting like the only religious expression is right wing. Its a common failing among social conservatives, and its a major part of why they assume that hispanic catholics will naturally flock to them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Democrats are brown people.
    Do you think Republicans are white people?

Sounds like you just like the white vs brown politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    The left expresses a great deal of hatrid towards religion and religious people then has to turn face Hispanics who are strongly religious.
    plenty of people on the left are religious. like, it's pretty fucking crazy I have to point that out. I mean my parents are both devout catholics but are more liberal then I am for fucks sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No, it really doesn't. You're just acting like the only religious expression is right wing. Its a common failing among social conservatives, and its a major part of why they assume that hispanic catholics will naturally flock to them.
    Isn't that Zombergy's argument though? That because large numbers of Hispanics are Catholic, they therefore will vote Republican?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    That's just the cost of doing business though. Every time a president makes a hard choice, he will upset a demographic. This happens to every president.
    Not disagreeing. I only point out that the "cost of doing business" for the GOP is to sacrifice its national aspirations for local primaries. To win local office in conservative districts, a politician basically has to placate a majority of white people. To win a nation-wide election, however, requires a much more diverse coalition.

This isn't 1984 anymore. You can't win 70% of the white vote, neglect or turn off everyone else, and simultaneously win the largest electoral college victory in American history. Ask Not-President Mitt Romney how far 70% of the white vote and no one else got him.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    Isn't that Zombergy's argument though? That because large numbers of Hispanics are Catholic, they therefore will vote Republican?
    Yup, and its left wanting because he can only understand religiosity as expressing itself in GOP values. There's a reason Francis has been so popular. Catholics might trend against the Democrats on abortion and, to an extent, on gay rights, but they're big on a lot of things the GOP hates.

Quote Originally Posted by Firespark View Post
    Why are Americans so obsessed with "liberals" and "conservatives"/republicans and democrats?

It is all our news stations talk about, I shit you not. Regardless of the medium you get your news, creating political strife gets ratings/hits. Sad really but what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    To add to what Timberx said, the vast majority of us are only antagonistic towards religion when they try and inject it where it doesn't belong. Intelligent design in schools, forcing their conception of gay marriage on everyone, etc.
    And yet the left constantly attempts to do the same such as forcing their definition of the confederate flag onto people, saying it represents racism, when a lot of people define it as state's rights. And maybe you disagree with that analogy, but a lot of people think that analogy has a ton of merit, and so when you then force your opinions of flags onto everyone but say we cant force our opinions of marriage on everyone, they start pulling the republican lever in the voting booth because they think you're full of crap. They think you believe its perfectly ok to force your opinions ONLY when you agree with them.

Or to put it another way, people see that the left forces their opinions on:

1. the confederate flag
    2. school lunch menus
    3. christmas
    4. the banning of religion
    5. health care
    6. where parents are allowed to send their kids to school
    7. the maximum allowed size of a soda

and a ton of other things. And then they get told oh NO you can't force your opinion on anything because forcing opinions is wrong, they think you are nuts!
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2015-09-28 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Do you think Republicans are white people?
    An overwhelming majority of them are, yes. When 89% of a party is drawn from one group, that group will easily define the political identity of the party.

Sounds like you just like the white vs brown politics.
    What I like or prefer is immaterial. What concerns me is reality.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2015-09-28 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's called voting against your interests. It's the power of propaganda at work.
    That's a racist oversimplification right there. There's plenty of non-white cultures that engage in hard right religious zealotry and for that they always vote for the right wingers. Not to mention no matter how much the right claims to be against immigration it's just a fucking ruse. More immigration = less competition for jobs = lower wages. Why the fuck would the rich be against that? Hint: They aren't.

3. christmas
    Yes! kill santa and make the Krampus a recurring thing. left wing agenda go!

^ On the topic of liberal censorship, right here in Canada I was driving home from a family potluck and there was a bigass pickup truck parked on the side of the road with a confederate flag flying out of either window. And I was like "Fuck yeah."

I myself lean to the left on pretty much all domestic issues... But people who think they should have the right to censor everything they don't agree with need to go fuck off and die. Hence it made me smile.... it made me grin..

7+ Year Old Account
    An overwhelming majority of them are, yes. When 89% of a party is drawn from one group, that group will easily define the political identity of the party.
    Yes everyone knows that. The point is that Democrats don't actually do anything to help minorities once they get in office. Which is why we will likely see Hillary for 4 years and if the economy is doing good then great, if not that support for Democrats will go down after a decade+ of being in office.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yes everyone knows that. The point is that Democrats don't actually do anything to help minorities once they get in office.
    Millions of actual minority people disagree. I think I'll go with their verdict on how well the Democratic Party represents their interests relative to the GOP, and not someone who thinks they're too dumb to know who to vote for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Millions of actual minority people disagree. I think I'll go with their verdict on how well the Democratic Party represents their interests relative to the GOP, and not someone who thinks they're too dumb to know who to vote for.
    I am glad to hear these minorities are satisfied with their representation. I'm doing great with mine. Win-win, happy society

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Sadly that is true and people generally aren't smart enough to know how to leave the rat's maze they're stuck in.
    That's what happens when society glorifies revolution.

Meanwhile, 23% of nonwhite millennials lean to the right, a record high.
    That's not a record. In 2000, those same nonwhite millennials leaned 32% right. The current 23% right from the same population group is less than 32%.

It will also be interesting to see the effect of the silent generation dying off, with the left losing that nonwhite bulwark.
    The right loses a bigger portion with the silent generation dying. 53% of the white population in the US that's 70+ years old plus 21% of the nonwhite portion is much greater than 70% of the nonwhite portion + 37% of the white portion of the same age.

So why doesn't this show up in the polls?
    Because I'm not sure you understand the math here.

7+ Year Old Account
    You might want to explain that one in detail, because our current generations are tame mice compared to the activism of the post-WW2 generations.
    Why wouldn't we be tame? Society is doing good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firespark View Post
    Why are Americans so obsessed with "liberals" and "conservatives"/republicans and democrats?
    Largely because the constant drumbeat of the mass media, now merely stenographers for gov't press releases, has used polarizing propaganda to keep the population arguing among themselves. Divide and rule strategy.

You might want to explain that one in detail, because our current generations are tame mice compared to the activism of the post-WW2 generations.
    That doesn't mean revolution isn't glorified, but that the outlets for those actions are meaningless to actually destabilizing the order of things, the existence of this outcome itself being a response to the activist behavior of the 1960s.