Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

4 Dead, 52 Wounded in Shootings Across Chicago Since Friday Evening

Okay, this is the second time over 50 people were shot during a weekend in Chicago this year, 2015.

This marks the second weekend in a row where more than 50 people were shot in Chicago. Last weekend, eight people were killed and at least 45 others were wounded, reportedly making it the city's most violent two-day weekend since Father's Day 2013.

So my point is: cops are a reflection of the community they work in. Do you think that's true? If you were a cop and worked in Chicago would you be concerned a little? Worried about losing your life? Compare that to Podunk Iowa were there is one shooting per year and the worst thing that happens is kids illegally drinking alcohol.

Maybe there's a reason cops are so aggressive?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a Canadian. And very proud to at least be a good distance away from Chicago.

OT, though? If I was a Law Enforcement Officer and I worked in Chicago, yes -- I would absolutely be concerned for my safety. Being a cop is already a stressful job, and having to deal with that certainly wouldn't help. Suppose I'd do my best to keep my cool. Be cautious, not paranoid, maybe?

I don't know. Most cops here where I live are really quite tame. I've never been pulled over, and I've only had to speak to them on a couple of occasions. Not much experience to go off of, honestly.

Shit, the politicians better start implementing stricter gun control. It's working amazing wonders right now, better keep doing what is known to work!

Chicago has some of the harshest gun control policies in the country remember http://thefreethoughtproject.com/82-...united-states/ 4th of July weekend strict gun control means nothing. and in terms of police no they are not chicago just notice how the more violent cities are run by democratic mayors and have a higher murder rate Baltimore, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago and yet they have a high murder rate here. its not the police in most of these its the politicians behind the scenes.

control guns by taxing bullets.

-chris rock, a billion years ago

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jon234 View Post
    Chicago has some of the harshest gun control policies in the country remember http://thefreethoughtproject.com/82-...united-states/ 4th of July weekend strict gun control means nothing. and in terms of police no they are not chicago just notice how the more violent cities are run by democratic mayors and have a higher murder rate Baltimore, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago and yet they have a high murder rate here. its not the police in most of these its the politicians behind the scenes.
    The political background of the mayor has very little to do with the behavioral actions of a city. The outcomes of individual towns and cities are based more upon the socioeconomic make-up and race/ethnicity demographic more than anything. Chicago has always been a rough neighborhood, it was kept in check early on by mobsters, without them, it's pretty much a free-for-all right now.

Also, equating gun laws to crime statistics is moot when the people committing the crimes have unregistered guns and don't care about the law.

People on these forums need to stop trying to correlate things as if there are no other confounding variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    The political background of the mayor has very little to do with the behavioral actions of a city. The outcomes of individual towns and cities are based more upon the socioeconomic make-up and race/ethnicity demographic more than anything. Chicago has always been a rough neighborhood, it was kept in check early on by mobsters, without them, it's pretty much a free-for-all right now.

Also, equating gun laws to crime statistics is moot when the people committing the crimes have unregistered guns and don't care about the law.

People on these forums need to stop trying to correlate things as if there are no other confounding variables.
    So I should blame this on the white flight then and not due to the fact that the policies a democratic mayor makes are next to atrocious and allows for exploitation of the system?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurkuris View Post
    Shit, the politicians better start implementing stricter gun control. It's working amazing wonders right now, better keep doing what is known to work!
    Yes, because when you implement something like that in only one small area of an open-borders country, rather than its entirity, it's guaranteed to work. It's also totally a reflection of its potential. Because, you know, it's not like you can't drive for an hour or two to get around it or anything.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    So I should blame this on the white flight then and not due to the fact that the policies a democratic mayor makes are next to atrocious and allows for exploitation of the system?
    If you think that a single politician can effectively control all or even the majority of crime in a city based upon his/her policies you are quite misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    Yes, because when you implement something like that in only one small area of an open-borders country, rather than its entirity, it's guaranteed to work. It's also totally a reflection of its potential. Because, you know, it's not like you can't drive for an hour or two to get around it or anything.
    Just because it works in the UK doesn't mean it would work over here...

Oh noes I'm driving to chiraq this weekend hope I don't get shot.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

If you think that a single politician can effectively control all or even the majority of crime in a city based upon his/her policies you are quite misinformed.
    The people involved in those shootings aren't going to listen to anyone in government. They pay attention to the police but only cause the police are armed, we're talking about very macho groups.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The people involved in those shootings aren't going to listen to anyone in government. They pay attention to the police but only cause the police are armed, we're talking about very macho groups.
    Yeah that was my point pretty much.

"...They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way!..."

Interesting to see that some things never change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chicago isn't even the most violent city in America. They're not even in the top 20.
    Eat yo vegetables

ITT fuck Chicago and fuck gun control and the like.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    "...They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way!..."

Interesting to see that some things never change.
    God, Kevin Costner, is a terrible actor but I enjoy his films anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chicago has some of the harshest gun control policies in the country
    Not anymore. The state supreme court struck down almost all of the gun bans. They are now only disallowed in mass transit and a few other places that are common with other cities.

The violence in Chicago is primarily gang driven and there seems to be an unspoken rule that as long as the gang members are shooting each other the police turn a bit of a blind eye to it. You see a much different reaction when a bystander gets shot then when known gang members are offing each other.

Right or wrong, that is how it works out usually.

There were a few articles that actually brought up that the spike in violence is likely due to the city actually cracking down on gangs. By arresting and throwing the leaders in jail the violence is due to lack of leadership and fights for dominance among the remainder.

Given my lack of gang affiliation I don't know how true that is.

i say we just carpet bomb chicago into oblivion and rebuild on it's ashes.

and I think you misunderstood the entirety of my other post. its not like they have a bunch of TIF districts, mass school closings, pension cuts, extending unemployment by 20 weeks so people who either have no motivation can just game the system or just no care and milk it, mental health funding issues, so tell me exactly how someones policies do not affect the city and or crime. and thats just the tip of the iceberg.