Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What's GlobalCitizen Festival exactly?
    https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I don't know he's pretty damn annoying and doesn't portray Sweeden well, unless most Swedes try to act American and have ridiculous voices
    No. No no no no. Pewdiepie is not "Acting American". Hweugh.

I don't know, I don't really see online celebrities becoming bigger than movie stars. Perhaps on par with reality TV though
    And for you it may remain so, but with younger generations that are raised primarily on these internet celebreties, the power base will build. So a decade or two more at most, and then you'll see the internet celebrity power base just skyrocket, as the purchasing power heavily leans towards those that prefer them over the older celebrity models.
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the celebrity power behind movie stars to start to die off in the coming years. Part of what made them so big was that people wanted to know everything about them, largely because there was nothing else going on. As media is starting to become more easily produced and published, people will have less free time and thus care less about who slept with who. People will again care less about the people in the movie and more just about the movie itself.
    That's still years down the line, but it's a thing that will happen eventually.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually it depends, I could probably get behind a Youtube celebrity because of a talent, but not because they exaggerate a persona for attention

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know he's pretty damn annoying and doesn't portray Sweeden well, unless most Swedes try to act American and have ridiculous voices
    Yes.. I don't follow him, But to actully punish your children if they watch him? That's wrong in my opinion..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    No. No no no no. Pewdiepie is not "Acting American". Hweugh.
    He's certainly coming across that way, he uses words I only ever hear Americans use

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    Yes.. I don't follow him, But to actully punish your children if they watch him? That's wrong in my opinion..
    TBF I think he was just deliberately exaggerating

Some of the silliness might disappear but I think youtube is the wave of the future. People will consume news that never challenges their views, everything will be doled out in 3 minute clips.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

He's certainly coming across that way, he uses words I only ever hear Americans use
    Slang and words doesn't make his behavior "American", especially when it's almost impossible anyway to clarify what "American" behavior is, when each state has it's own unique behaviors and what not. Basically, no one wants to be a Pewdiepie.

I don't really see the appeal of 90% of them, but then again im 29. I just don't really see the appeal, especially when they're just spouting opinions
    Don't forget that we live in a world where Katie Hopkins is considered a celebrity.

Or are they here to stay forever? What's your view?
    Individual ones? Like, will pewdiepie be famous in 40 years? No, of course not. New generations for the most point don't care about the previous generations celebrities.

If you mean will youtube still produce celebrities? For sure, yes. Now more than ever. All these youtube celebrities need to do is start being extremely petty, getting in squabbles with each other and could easily reach a much, much bigger audience. That is 99% of what celebrity attention is these days. Following their dumb squabbles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Some of the silliness might disappear but I think youtube is the wave of the future. People will consume news that never challenges their views, everything will be doled out in 3 minute clips.
    That is right now though..

Especially in America. You guys call a 4 minute segment, where 2-5 people answer a question a 'debate'. You can go to Fox and hear how 1 group of people are the devil, the other are great. Then go to CNN and hear another opinion.

News is not news for the most part in America. Its just people pushing agendas while the bodies in the latest shooting, terrorism act, school massacre or case of cop brutality are still warm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually it depends, I could probably get behind a Youtube celebrity because of a talent, but not because they exaggerate a persona for attention

- - - Updated - - -

Who's to say that he has to portay Sweden in any way? I don't follow him that much, but perhaps he isn't acting "American" and just acting like himself or at least the kind of person that he finds funny.

They will die out as soon as a new outlet for media and entertainment is introduced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or are they here to stay forever? What's your view?
    They will always stay around, the title that is. People will always follow some.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yes but with more limited spans. People who get famous for one thing will burn out unless they spin off into other avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    They will die out as soon as a new outlet for media and entertainment is introduced.
    Like fully immersive virtual reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    People on the internet disliking internet celebrities. Classic.

Anyone remember that time the statues came alive in Simpsons' Treehouse of Horrors?

What's the name of that song again?
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't view them as celebrities now, but will their popularity decline? Yes, but someone else will take their place. YouTube is here to stay.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Nope. I also hope they go away quickly so my retard brother quits watching that EU inbred pewdiepie or whatever he is. What's more annoying is when people you know try to act like these retards let alone thinking they can be as successful as them. I would like for the US to go full dictatorship and turn Youtube and Twitch off for good.

As long as forums like Youtube exist then it will have people who reach celebrity status. Ultimately at this stage it's no different to movie stars or TV stars of past eras, they're famous because they're visible to a certain demographic. Among a younger demographic, likely the same sort of age group that use websites like this for the majority, more people are viewing media via youtube and similar forums than go to the movies or watch the majority of TV channels.

The likelihood however is that most will have a much shorter shelf life than traditional celebrities due to the speed of turnover in the medium and the fact that most of them aren't people who got there from being multi-faceted or anything, they just found a niche, took advantage of it and became internet famous as a result unlike for example an actor who can play a whole variety of roles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Internet celebrities existed before Youtube. Newgrounds got a lot of people their starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Not all youtubers are Pewdiepie you know.

Personally I prefer JonTron and Game Grumps.
    Speaking of. Arin got his start at Newgrounds, before he got hired at Fox.