Page 1 of 2
LastLast

October 1 Hotfixes, EU Road to BlizzCon This Weekend, Tweets, Fan Art

Holyknight3000 Wallpapers, Rank #1 4-Man GR 82

HearthPwn Goes Mobile Friendly, Deck Spotlight: Mech Warrior, Not-So-Secret, TAC #105

Test Map, Reworked Skins and Animations v2, Matthew Cooper Interview, Hottest Plays #48

Patch 6.2.2a Hotfixes - October 1
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Raids and Dungeons
    Hellfire Citadel
    • Fel Lord Zakuun
      • [Requires a realm restart] Cloven Soul should now always be applied to the target with the highest threat that is currently tanking Fel Lord Zakuun.

Collections
    Toy Box
    • Mark of the Ashtongue is now usable while in combat and the cosmetic transformation no longer breaks in combat.

Items
    • Fixed an issue that could cause naval equipment to incorrectly display as red on the naval equipment vendor, (but is still purchasable) when the item in question has been unlocked for the character.

European Road to BlizzCon this Weekend
    The 2015 European Road to BlizzCon gets underway in Prague, Czech Republic this weekend, October 3-4, and it’s going to be epic! If you’re an eSports fan, you won’t want to miss the Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and World of Warcraft European Championships being held at the event. Some of the best players in the world will be battling it out for a share of the $300,000 USD prize pool, as well as a coveted place in the World Championships at BlizzCon this November!

The Heroes of the Storm action begins earlier, when the group matches are played on Friday, October 2 from 12:00-22:00 CEST. On Saturday, crowds will pack the O2 Arena as the main event kicks off and the excitement truly begins. Tune in from 12:00-23:40 CEST to follow the Heroes group decider matches and semi-finals, and the Hearthstone and World of Warcraft group matches and semi-finals. All three grand finals will be played in front of a captivated audience on Sunday from 12:00-19:45 CEST—you won’t want to miss them!

StarCraft II fans will also want to check out the Legacy of the Void show matches! Catch Milenium vs. Team Liquid from 17:50-18:50 CEST on Saturday.

Stream
    For event and stream details, including the schedule, be sure to check out the official 2015 European Road to BlizzCon website at www.euRTB2015.com. And if you're heading to Prague this weekend, be sure to check out all the exciting activities we've got lined up!

Remember that if you watch the Heroes of the Storm Road to BlizzCon live stream using a Twitch account linked to your Battle.net account, you can also unlock a sweet in-game “Storm Watcher” portrait.

It’s going to be an adrenaline-charged weekend, so find a comfortable seat and get hyped!

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    can u confirm how many guidlies need to be in a raid for it to count as a "guild group"? thanks
    For a raid group, 80% (rounded down) of the group must be from the same guild. Minimap icon will confirm if you qualify. (WarcraftDevs)

Ghostcrawler Tweets
    Ghostcrawler still occasionally talks about WoW. Remember that he no longer works for or speaks for Blizzard.
    Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    can you list the projects you personally worked on so we can lay to rest whether this post employment praise is warranted?
    I don't think that would lay anything to rest. (OccupyGStreet)
    The truth is that nobody works on projects in a vacuum at Blizzard or Riot. (OccupyGStreet)
    Nobody changes philosophy on their own. Those are all directions that the team is aligned around. (OccupyGStreet)
    It is why I always caution players not to vilify (or deify) individual developers. That's just not the way game dev works. (OccupyGStreet)
    If you don't like a feature or a philosophy by all means speak out. But blame the studio not those few whose names you know. (OccupyGStreet)

Community Spotlight: SulaMoon
    This week, we turn our attention to the wondrous art of SulaMoon, who recently answered our questions about her creative process and what inspires her work.

Q: What influences your designs?
    This whole [Warcraft] series started because Cataclysm was such a cool looking spell that I just had to paint it. Casting it while glyphed in demon form, with horns and wings? Heck yeah! So I started sketching.

Pretty soon I had the idea to see if I could fit my character and my friend's character into a series, making them into Hearthstone-style illustrations. The first one was my demon warlock, followed by my husband's retribution paladin. The priest is the leader of the guild, and a dear friend, so it was a gift for her.

My idea is was to make their characters, favorite transmog set, and favorite spec all into one recognizable image. Raiding with them has been an awesome experience, so cheers! That’s also why they’re only Horde characters.

Q: How long does it take to create images like these?
    I worked on this on my off-time, so I slip in a couple of minutes every chance I get. If I'd add it all up, it would be around 15 hours per piece.

I start with a rough sketch for pose and composition—the overall posture of the piece. Once that’s working, I move into adding the details to the sketch—where I'll collect references for armor, weapons, and spell effects—and add them over the initial sketch. A couple of times something breaks and I need to reorganize the whole sketch. I then do a grayscale pass to make sure the light will read and start working on volumes, and then I can move into color. There’s a lot of polishing and making sure the materials read as they should.

This is also the time where I’ll take some liberties with the original set, and imagine how they would work if there weren’t in-game technical restrictions. I particularly like painting shiny trinkets, so a lot of time is spent on highlights and sparkling effects.

Q: What other works inspire you?
    In the illustration world, Joe Madureira—his comic art but specially his work on Darksiders—and Brom is also a huge one for me, and so is Drew Struzan! I also like Todd Lockwood, Dan dos Santos, and especially Wei Wang. He is amazing. I'm also a movie fan—I love watching and studying movies and their visual languages so I can capture a little bit of their magic when I paint. Also, soundtracks—glorious, epic soundtracks by Hans Zimmer. I also play pen and paper RPGs. I really love this stuff, and I think the reason I’m an artist nowadays it's because I’m a fan of things like these. They’re what pushes me forwards and makes me aim for greater things.

Q: And what about video games for inspiration?
    I love raiding. I’ve tried it hardcore, I’ve tried it casual, and I enjoy it more than I can socially admit. I had to step down from hardcore to a bit more casual playstyle so I could work on my art too. It was weird at the time, but now that I have found a guild I can call home I am in comfortable position to keep both going.

I also love the lore in the game, and I have a couple of friends I can geek out with about the lore until my heart is content. And of course, I love the art in Warcraft—in-game, comics, and I can't wait for the movie! The heaviness of the style, the details, the scenery, the races. The community is also amazing, and I have made many friends inside the game over all the years playing.

Q: If you could add one thing to the game, artistically, what would it be?
    Customizable horns! Yes! But wait, this one is already promised. So how about Dreadsteeds that fly with a blazing trail of fire in the skies!
    Another great thing would be more detailed armor, in the chest area especially. I love the work being done over with models in Heroes of the Storm, and I'd love to see something similar in WoW too!

Our thanks goes out to SulaMoon for sharing these lovely pieces with the WoW community.

Heroes of the Storm - Respawn Timer Increases and Snowball Prevention
    The Heroes PTR got increased respawn times and smaller stat differences between levels at lower levels to try and make games more even if a team falls a little behind early on.

Last edited by chaud; 2015-10-02 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks to the current and future mods for the work you do on here. \o/

if someone needs a spare free ticket to "EU Road to BlizzCon" in Prague let me know via PM

> But blame the studio not those few whose names you know.

So, like Corporate America -- don't blame the people responsible. Blame the "company".
    What an excellent way to avoid accountability and hide. *sigh*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    > But blame the studio not those few whose names you know.

So, like Corporate America -- don't blame the people responsible. Blame the "company".
    What an excellent way to avoid accountability and hide. *sigh*
    You just don't get it.

People like you, are like an angry mob that will throw rotten tomatoes at whatever they deem bad - in pure blind hatred.

You don't constructively think, who or what did what.

Thus, re-read, re-do - do right. It's not a conspiracy, it's a TEAM of Developers.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is actually my twitter question to GC (feel so proud) and there was so much more to this conversation. *if you doubt it, look at my username history*

dark_brown_eye: the problem as I see it, blizzard made design choices base on how think we SHOULD play vs how we WANT to play.
    GC: It's tough. The two at the end of the day aren't all that different. But it's not as if all players speak one voice:
    dark_brown_eye: but when do we're the vocal minority... Honestly don't know who's opinion you listening to if isn't the vocal community.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    You just don't get it.

People like you, are like an angry mob that will throw rotten tomatoes at whatever they deem bad - in pure blind hatred.

Thus, re-read, re-do - do right. It's not a conspiracy, it's a TEAM of Developers.
    My dislike for GC has been longstanding... the majority of his posts (while employed at blizzard) always made go:

I felt at the time (possibly still) that he had a severe disconnect with the community. Which stems from not actually listening. Making decisions on how they think we should play vs how we are/ or how we want to play. If you aren't making the game for the players you're begging the question, "Who are you making the game for?"

mmo-champion has been following his activity post employment, and many here have praised him for his efforts at blizzard.

Food for thought, though.

During his entire employment WoW has seen NOTHING but a decline in subs. To place that blame solely on him is both irrational and unfair, but its an interesting correlation.

Furthermore, and this brings us to my original question to him: "Can you list the projects that you personally worked on so we can lay to rest whether this post employment praise is warranted?"

To which he avoided the question entirely (like a true diplomat). I ask that question because I know one of those projects: LFR. We've seen a ton of posts from people who like to blame the sub loss on LFR. Then GC comes out and says it was a bad idea... okay fine... BUT YOU FUCKING WORKED ON IT! It does the community no good for him to be the good guy now and see the error of his ways and call the implementation crap. If it was crap, he had plenty of time to voice that opinion and affect change WHILE HE WORKED AT BLIZZARD! Because honestly who is a lead designer going to listen to more? Some rando (lots of randos) from the internet, or someone (a developer at that) from within their own organization. So one of GCs early projects puts the game on this further downward spiral... and then when he leaves he claims it was a poor idea... and is now praised for it? Anyone else see the ass backwards logic in that?

Also, LFR was in direct response to the changes to raiding that happened end of WotLK and into Cata, where character progression was not possible 10n>10h>25n>25h. Because of shared lockouts, and the to ensure that these "10m guilds" were getting their limelight flex was implemented. Bottom line is raid participation ABSOLUTELY PLUMMETED. So instead of going back to the old raid model (which clearly was working)... because that would mean they had to admit they were wrong, that GC was wrong, and that would jeopardize his career and position. They added LFR.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2015-10-02 at 04:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just don't get it.

But that already contradicts what Blizzard has said prior, that there are different teams for different aspects of the game and the devs we know and mention when critiquing features are the Team Heads and have final say over what goes in that aspect of the game. It can't be both ways. You can't say they work on it together but can't blame them because it's the whole company's fault and not the team and their head who had final word on what they developed and released to the public that was was received poorly. It is shifting the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    During his entire employment WoW has seen NOTHING but a decline in subs. To place that blame solely on him is both irrational and unfair, but its an interesting correlation.
    Well if we are doing it like that then we can also say that while he was employed with Blizzard, subs were steadily declining for a number of years but after he left the game saw subs increase by 3 mil before suddenly hemorraging them like a fresh wound within a matter of months. With that sort of logic, people would be petitioning Ghostcrawler to be rehired by Blizzard (or at least being a consultant on their work).
    Last edited by Darknessvamp; 2015-10-02 at 05:09 PM.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    But that already contradicts what Blizzard has said prior, that there are different teams for different aspects of the game and the devs we know and mention when critiquing features are the Team Heads and have final say over what goes in that aspect of the game. It can't be both ways. You can't say they work on it together but can't blame them because it's the whole company's fault and not the team and their head who had final word on what they developed and released to the public that was was received poorly. It is shifting the blame.
    It also makes it seem like no one ever speaks out internally against a perceived bad idea. (Bad ideas do exist). According to GC though... it sounds like a bad idea is brought to the table and everyone smiles and nods and gets to work. No one ever raises objections? Or perhaps it was that you signed off on it, and thought it was a good idea at the time? Whether you gave your blessing to a bad idea, or worked on a bad idea... its the same thing. Which ultimately makes you collectively incompetent as well as personally incompetent.

is it me or that horned BE looks like a chick, or is it a dude or all BE look the same?

Bottom line is raid participation ABSOLUTELY PLUMMETED. So instead of going back to the old raid model (which clearly was working)... because that would mean they had to admit they were wrong, that GC was wrong, and that would jeopardize his career and position. They added LFR.

What the F are YOU talking about???

We've literally just experienced them reversing their stance on a major aspect of the game (flying) and then reversing it AGAIN! Why on earth do you think they would hesitate to change the raiding model when they have LITERALLY CHANGED IT EVERY EXPANSION? His career and position??? People at his level with his experience and tenure do not just get fired at any company, not just Blizzard. Reassigned -maybe- but not fired for all kinds of reasons but most importantly because you need people to take chances and be willing to steer the ship through rough waters. There can't be a guillotine at the end of the line for any failure.

As for raid participation, are you talking about specifically 25 man guilds or something? Because i can promise you that more people are raiding at all difficulty levels except maybe the top tier than ever before. EVER. Between LFR, flex raids, cross server raiding, the group finder, and open raid, there is no way that there are less people raiding now than there were in vanilla when it was the most hardcore shit in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcryix View Post

What the F are YOU talking about???

We've literally just experienced them reversing their stance on a major aspect of the game (flying) and then reversing it AGAIN! Why on earth do you think they would hesitate to change the raiding model when they have LITERALLY CHANGED IT EVERY EXPANSION? His career and position??? People at his level with his experience and tenure do not just get fired at any company, not just Blizzard. Reassigned -maybe- but not fired for all kinds of reasons but most importantly because you need people to take chances and be willing to steer the ship through rough waters. There can't be a guillotine at the end of the line for any failure.
    It hasn't changed "EVERY EXPANSION" the last major change to raiding was between WotLK and Cata, and they have just been tweaking the same bad idea ever since, progressively making it worse and worse.

So what you are saying is people at his level should be encouraged to make bad ideas? Lulz...

Flying... you are really going with flying as your example? I want to laugh into your mouth so hard right now! They didn't change their stance, they act 100% self righteous and justified in their design decision despite the overwhelming hate behind it. So they gave us flight... now... when it is practically irrelevant and the xpac is over. Oh and btw it will be the exact same model for legion. No flying until it is irrelevant. Them even adding flying came across more like, "Okay, Okay, here it is, shut the fuck up already." Something that just inspires all kinds of touchy feely good feelings within me regarding their development team.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davidcryix View Post
    As for raid participation, are you talking about specifically 25 man guilds or something? Because i can promise you that more people are raiding at all difficulty levels except maybe the top tier than ever before. EVER. Between LFR, flex raids, cross server raiding, the group finder, and open raid, there is no way that there are less people raiding now than there were in vanilla when it was the most hardcore shit in the game.
    Oh really, can you? Can you promise me? Because your promise is so compelling... I for one am totally convinced.

If you care to back that up with some data I would be happy to concede. But your promises mean dick to me.

I'm not comparing it vanilla, if anything I'm comparing it to WotLK, which by simple virtue of its all time high in subs says that more people were raiding then than now.

Everything raiding has become since the changes in raid design at the end WotLK, have been in direct response to less and less people ACTUALLY participating in raids and trying to get it BACK to the participation levels of WotLK.

When I talk about raid participation plummeting I am referring directly to Cata. Cata raid participation was atrocious until they added LFR with DS. But it is still not on the level of participation as it was in WotLK era. This lack of participation was in DIRECT response to the raid changes. Right then and there was their opportunity to save face and revert the change. Instead they keep putting band-aids on a bad idea.

In MoP at least you could still acquire similarly looking set pieces. In WoD they slapped you in the face and said well LFR isn't really raiding, if you want to keep doing it fine... but we're gonna give your crappy rewards for it. (making a bad idea, worse) Because who did that benefit?

I can tell you that hardcore, truly hardcore raiders, don't give a fuck what is happening in LFR whatsoever, whether or not their rewards look the same or not does not matter. What matters to them are world firsts, that people recognize the guild name.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2015-10-02 at 06:41 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He started working for them during Sunwell and was there during the ENTIRETY of Wrath. You know that point where WoW had its LARGEST EVER SUB INCREASE AND COUNT.

At least research some shit before talking out of your ass.

Deleted
    It hasn't changed "EVERY EXPANSION" the last major change to raiding was between WotLK and Cata, and they have just been tweaking the same bad idea ever since, progressively making it worse and worse.
    Wut?
    WotLK to Cata was probably the smallest change to raiding in that they bumped 10 mans in difficulty and redesigned the LFR from a manual search to automatic grouping.
    Flex alone was a huge change in MoP and the WoD changes destroyed guilds with the new formats on a scale only TBC managed before.

Vanilla: (10n), 20n, 40n
    TBC: (10n), 25n
    WotLK: LFR (Manual), 10n, 25n, 10H, 25H (10 easier then 25)
    Cata: LFR, 10n, 25n, 10H, 25H (10 equal to 25) (XRealm added)
    MoP: LFR, Flex, 10n, 25n, 10H, 25H
    WoD: LFR, Flex, Flex H, 20M

(n=Normal, H=Heroic, M=Mythic)

Deleted
    Quick question: how will I know if I got the Storm Watcher portrait? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by tellos0 View Post
    Quick question: how will I know if I got the Storm Watcher portrait? Thanks in advance.
    You won't until they activate it. And since it's not actually in the game currently, the very earliest opportunity to know is on Tuesday/Wednesday, if indeed they activate it the moment it's in the game files.

Deleted
    Thanks, Nerraw

Deleted
    Wildstar is not free-to-play ... if you haven't bought the game you have to be in a 4k+ queue... Which means minimum 20 hrs waiting. So basically you have no chance to login without premium account.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhru View Post
    Wildstar is not free-to-play ... if you haven't bought the game you have to be in a 4k+ queue... Which means minimum 20 hrs waiting. So basically you have no chance to login without premium account.
    That isn't how free to play is defined. Also new servers have been added so it should stem the queues a bit now.

Deleted
    Why does this undead lady smile? Shouldn't light magic burn her?

You just don't get it.

Well then -- ok, so since we're having massive drops in subscriptions -- let's fire the entire team. Since it's all their fault. Every.Single.One.Of.Them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kilmir View Post
    Wut?
    WotLK to Cata was probably the smallest change to raiding in that they bumped 10 mans in difficulty and redesigned the LFR from a manual search to automatic grouping.
    Flex alone was a huge change in MoP and the WoD changes destroyed guilds with the new formats on a scale only TBC managed before.

Vanilla: (10n), 20n, 40n
    TBC: (10n), 25n
    WotLK: LFR (Manual), 10n, 25n, 10H, 25H (10 easier then 25)
    Cata: LFR, 10n, 25n, 10H, 25H (10 equal to 25) (XRealm added)
    MoP: LFR, Flex, 10n, 25n, 10H, 25H
    WoD: LFR, Flex, Flex H, 20M

(n=Normal, H=Heroic, M=Mythic)
    Agreed there. The "Big" change between Wrath and Cata was the "casual" -> "Hard" of dungeons. Pretty much everything else stayed the same.