Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Which MMOs do you feel could be awesome with a restart?

Everquest and Final Fantasy XIV did it, and they had huge successess, they also tried a lot harder with their restarts too, some recent MMOs you mjay guess haven't been as good as they could have been...which ones do you think need a restart whether active or dead atm?

P.s.
    and what would you fix/improve or consider essential in them?
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2015-09-28 at 08:25 PM.

All I can say is that it's a good time for Blizzard to start planning a new, innovative MMO with the latest engines if they still want to keep the crown in the near future.

Deleted
    Elder Scrolls Online.

Had a horrible launch filled with bugs and missing items/quests. During the year since release they've really stepped up their game. It's now running smoothly and everything seems to work fine. A re-release to spark attention would do them good...

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. Needed three factions to be really successful though. Perhaps a monster alliance with ogres, skaven, centaurs, and human flagellants?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    All I can say is that it's a good time for Blizzard to start planning a new, innovative MMO with the latest engines if they still want to keep the crown in the near future.
    I agree, but what model could they use without it just being "WoW 2"? FFXIV: ARR is the closest I've come to enjoying an MMO that wasn't WoW (well, excluding Earth & Beyond before it died). But I didn't last very long in that game because the job gameplay just felt boring. Dragoon was always my favorite way back to XI, but it just didn't feel that interesting along with other jobs. Everything just felt so predictable with only a handful of abilities. I quit WoW shortly after cata came out and returned in MoP during SOO, and every MMO I tried to play made me feel like "eh, it's good but WoW did it better." GW2, Wildstar, FFXIV both before and after ARR, ESO. That's WoW's curse. It set the bar too high.

Deleted
    I think Wildstar fresh start as f2p with big changes to the game seems promising, will play it anyway =)

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Tabula Rasa nothing really wrong with it it just launched too close to WoW's timeline
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    City of Heroes
    A thousand, thousand times this.

WoW. The current product is so far from the vision that made the game great its not even remotely the same thing anymore, its a profit driven program that happens to be a game

Stood in the Fire Lisa Frank Succubus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Blizzard's biggest problem is that they are getting too lazy with content updates and becoming more out of touch with their fans, like Celestalon's responses to shaman dps early on at WoD Launch.

I've played most of the other mmorpgs to some degree and keep coming back to WoW. Blizzard just needs to get on the ball with putting out content more considering how much money they rack in with Hearthstone and HoTs, much cheaper games to maintain.

I think a few more features and more frequent content updates would help WoW a lot. Sure if you define success as having 10 million subs then I don't think WoW will ever regain that.

Of course this probably won't happen because blizzard now more than ever is a money making company. They will go with whatever makes the most sense economically instead of trying to please WoW's declining fanbase. Its a shame too when you look at games like Everquest 2 that feel very antiquated, have far less players and yet the devs communicate with the fans and seem to care more about pleasing them. I didn't even like EQ2 that much when I tried it but yeah..I wish WoW would take that kind of attitude.

Its a crying shame because I think WoW is still a great game, even with its flaws and WoD, but I almost feel like the devs want to shoot themselves in the foot. Its the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I really think Warhammer: Age of Reckoning is a game that could actually benefit from a reboot. It had a lot of potential and I loved the Warhammer fantasy setting before GW took a big sledge hammer to it.
    Last edited by Lisa Frank Succubus; 2015-09-29 at 06:59 AM.

Currently running MMO's

Age of Conan - Flesh out the rest of the game to the quality of Tortuga
    Aion - Adding in the hundreds of quests that all but eliminated the need to grind tons of mobs/repeatable quests that turned a lot of folks off
    APB Reloaded - Make it actually work at launch and not have its studio go under almost instantly
    DC Universe Online - Launch with more powers/weapons (especially combinations of weapons with synergies) and more customization options, not to mention some proper housing/crafting to supplement content
    The Secret World - A bigger marketing push and swapping from Dream Engine to Unreal 3/4, or pretty much anything that didn't run like piss
    Star Trek Online - Simply having more than 14 months to create a MMO
    SWTOR - Taking the direction they've taken since launch of dramatically filling out side activities and max level content, while focusing less on side missions throughout leveling and more on just the main story stuff

For closed MMO's

Star Wars Galaxies - Just not launch NGE at all
    Vanguard - Launching and actually working, the game was basically in alpha at launch
    Warhammer Online - Hand it to a competent studio, I'm still largely convinced DAOC being good was a fluke more than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Currently running MMO's

Age of Conan - Flesh out the rest of the game to the quality of Tortuga
    Aion - Adding in the hundreds of quests that all but eliminated the need to grind tons of mobs/repeatable quests that turned a lot of folks off
    APB Reloaded - Make it actually work at launch and not have its studio go under almost instantly
    DC Universe Online - Launch with more powers/weapons (especially combinations of weapons with synergies) and more customization options, not to mention some proper housing/crafting to supplement content
    The Secret World - A bigger marketing push and swapping from Dream Engine to Unreal 3/4, or pretty much anything that didn't run like piss
    Star Trek Online - Simply having more than 14 months to create a MMO
    SWTOR - Taking the direction they've taken since launch of dramatically filling out side activities and max level content, while focusing less on side missions throughout leveling and more on just the main story stuff

For closed MMO's

Star Wars Galaxies - Just not launch NGE at all
    Vanguard - Launching and actually working, the game was basically in alpha at launch
    Warhammer Online - Hand it to a competent studio, I'm still largely convinced DAOC being good was a fluke more than anything else
    I'm more interested in the ones that never came out : /
    If only I was able to see Stargate Worlds or Kingdoms of Amalur.

I'd probably want to restart LotRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This. This so hard.

The Secret World. The engine is horrible. Never have a I played an MMO with such erratic performance across a variety of configs. The sole reason I do not play it more often is because it won't run reliably and looks terrible when I do get a steady framerate. TSW also needed a lot more marketing muscle.

APB Re-Reloaded (lol). As above, the performance of the game needed to be much better than what was released. Secondary elements needed to be redone, better marketing, clearer game structure, etc.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. I'd love to see that game get another shot.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I want to say LotRO, but I also love what LotRO is. I think I just want to see that world developed in the aesthetic quality of current MMOs or RPGs. To be able replay LotRO's story/content but in something like looks as good as Fallout 4 and has an updated combat system would blow my mind. I think I would abandon all other games forever and just play that game nonstop.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I want to say LotRO, but I also love what LotRO is. I think I just want to see that world developed in the aesthetic quality of current MMOs or RPGs. To be able replay LotRO's story/content but in something like looks as good as Fallout 4 and has an updated combat system would blow my mind. I think I would abandon all other games forever and just play that game nonstop.
    Was going to say something very similar to this. Update the models and combat system to LotRO and I'd abandon everything else.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR, their version of the Hero Engine is terrible.

That game could be great if it had an engine that could have smooth combat and mass pvp battles. The graphics have dated fast and it performs poorly with many people in the same area. Addons are very important for MMOs, the base UI is ugly, the cast bar is ugly, nameplates are ugly, addons fix all these issues.

Have they even fixed grass viewing distance? Or is it still stupidly short?
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2015-09-29 at 03:22 PM.

Warhammer, so much potential just needs a good developer.

- - - Updated - - -

Age of conan to, very sweet classes and I loved the raids.