Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    I think people drilled into a routine is also what causes obesity.

I know many people where clock strikes 12 and its lunch time doesn't matter if they are hungry or not, it's lunch time. They always have break feast lunch and dinner regardless. IMO you can get by with just 1 big meal a day and a few snacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    as usual i think it's the growing trend of fat draenei to blame.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Because no matter how efficient and automatised our production / workspaces are, we still have to work way too much hours. The remaining leisure time has not increased, despite the dreams of humanity, that "nobody would have to work when robots can do anything". Why? Because capitalism and things like that.

Anyway, we have too few leisure time, and many people are simply too tired after work to do a proper workout, as long as they are not really interested in sports. So, we excercise not enough.

The other thing is, which goes hand in hand with time shortage: We don't have the time for proper cooking anymore. And especially industrially manufactured food has too many calories for the usual need of a working person.

So, we have not enough time for excercise, and not enough time for proper food, now it's not a wonder that people become obese. Especially when they are not really educated and don't know what soda drinks do to their body. It's a drink, it does not have sugar in it... or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Just give fastfood the cigarettes treatment.
    Fast food isn't an addiction, its a fast, easy solution to hunger. How many people do you know that cook every night anymore, and whip up pot roasts every sunday?. None, no one cooks anymore every night.

Fast food isn't cheaper than healthy food, its fast.

Healthy stuff is too expensive. That's why obesity is most prominent in poor countries or lower classes of rich countries.

people not drinking enough water

Deleted
    We're nicely on our way to the world from Wall-E:

I guess it's good that in poorer countries fast food like McDonald or Subway is more expensive then normal food.

But I think it's everything. Lack of movement, way how we grow food to make it to grow faster, how much we eat, how much we eat other things to balance our diet.

I n t e r n e t p o r n!

those statistics don't mean much to me
    and at what level are you labeled a fatty?

I wouldn't trust those numbers since when a person is overweight cam vary by race. Like.. Polynesians don't see negative effects till 29 bmi while whites at 25 and blacks at 26.3 and Asians anywhere from 21 to 22 (excluding south Asians)

Excessive carbs. In the west, this was from horribly flawed dietary advice.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

It's mainly due to the fact that horrible food is cheaper, portion sizes are larger, and that people are just lazy now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    What do you think is driving global obesity rates?
    The price of healthy food vs. the price of unhealthy food.
    The shift away from traditional diets and physical work.
    The pre-processed chemical shit that passes for food these days.
    The abundance of easily-avaliable junk food.
    The subsidies given to corn syrup production.
    Etc, etc...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolascancer View Post
    if you think about it the "global obesity epidemic" isnt hard to figure out, we (as "developed" nations) have lives that are increasingly sedentary. You can literally sit on you ass all day at your job, then go home and sit on your ass doing whatever you do. Sitting does not lead to weight loss or calorie burning. Sedentary lifestyle combined with high calorie meals eaten in a very short period of time. You can blame fast food but any restaurant ive been to also has too big of portions, lots of cheese, lots of fried foods, and lots of sauces. These foods are all high in calories, fried foods are what i call hidden calories cause you dont realize how much is in something as small as a cheese stick.

We don't stay outside (temperature regulation is part of metabolism, we no longer have to do such a thing because of housing/AC)
    We have cars as opposed to walking
    I can't really explain well because its a really simple idea, we stopped living the natural human life when farming took over, then really went away from our natural state with the industrial revolution. Without a kickback in the other direction (like people who go to the gym or exercise regularly/religiously) becoming fat is inevitable.

And all of you people talking about carbs.. shut up. jesus you really have no idea how nutrition works. Carbs make up 50-60 percent of your diet, fats 20-30 and protein 10-30. I bet you are the same people who lift weights twice a week and chug down protein shakes because you saw a commercial saying it was a good idea.

If youre fat its not because you ate too many carbs/prot/fat. its because you at too much, simply that.. too much, of anything. without proper recompense like muscle building. Lean muscle burns calories, wanna lose weight? build muscle. And stop eating american portion sizes

edit: i see a lot of emphasis on "healthy" foods.. ok.. there is no such thing as a "healthy" food. not in reality. IN fake reality there is, someone might say a salad is healthier than a burger. but is it really? lettuce is damn near worthless, those few carrot strings you ate were negligible in terms of nutritional benefit, and then you topped it with a gallon of honey mustard or ranch, gg. It really is all about portion sizes and amount (if were talking about weight gain/ being fat or whatever) thats it. calories in vs calories out
    A professor at some college (sorry no source, im a bad student) literally ate nothing but slim jims and peanut crackers from a gas station for a few months and lost weight... because he only ate the amount of calories he was supposed to for his body size and physical output.(exercise/fitness level)

I'll allow that all of our processed carbs and fake macro/micronutrient replacers can have a negative effect on your metabolism, thus making it harder for you to return to a more normal ( i like the word natural) state. The human body adapts, eat a buncha shit? body adapts (to a certain extent) to process it, start eating more normal foods like fruits/vegetables and your body wont be ready for it, your mind wont like it, and you'll feel like shit, because you aren't used to it.
    This is the answer.

nailed it on the head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    This is the answer.

nailed it on the head.
    I'd also add that there is a very low correlation between fat intake and obesity.

The only solid proof that we have, scientifically, about a causal effect with obesity is with Calories intake. 300 calories of carrots or 300 calories of meat are all and the same. Yes, you feel "fuller" when you eat carrots, because to get as many nutriment in carrots, you have to take a humongous amount of them. In reality, what you take when you eat a carrot is in majority... water.

Our lifestyles have changed dramatically, we get less and less exercise in our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by RareShine View Post
    Our lifestyles have changed dramatically, we get less and less exercise in our lives.
    One observation I've made: Most professional cooks I know are thin. We work around food all day, snack all day. But we're on our feet all day doing physical work.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.