Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What do you think is driving global obesity rates?

This is something I've always been curious about. We've long known that the US is the king (or queen) of the muffin top. But what drives the obesity rates in other developed nations?

Is it a sign of overall better health? Just lucky genetics? Or is it something special about that country's diet?

Below is a list of mostly developed nations by the prevalence of people who are overweight. What factors do you think effect these numbers?

United States : 66.3%
    Australia : 62.1%
    United Kingdom : 61.8%
    Greece : 61.3%
    Portugal : 59.2%
    Ireland : 58.4%
    Russia : 57.1%
    Germany : 56.7%
    Israel : 56.5%
    Canada : 56.5%
    Brazil : 55.7%
    South Africa : 54.9%
    Spain : 54.4%
    Sweden : 52.1%
    Denmark : 51.9%
    Italy : 49.8%
    France : 49.2%
    Netherlands : 49.0%
    Singapore : 38.2%
    South Korean : 32.3%
    Japan : 23.3%

Source : http://healthintelligence.drupalgard...sity-worldwide

the fact that healthy food is way more expensive than unhealthy food.

10+ Year Old Account
    What we're eating, quite frankly.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Below is a list of mostly developed nations by the prevalence of people who are overweight. What factors do you think effect these numbers?
    Eating too mcuh with sedentary lifestyles. When people leave home, they take the car to go where they're going, even if it's within their town instead of walking or taking the bike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Eating too mcuh with sedentary lifestyles. When people leave home, they take the car to go where they're going, even if it's within their town instead of walking or taking the bike.
    Walking or riding your bike to work where I live isn't really feasible, as people live far away from commerce centers, and there are no bike lanes.

That said, it's not just "eating too much." It's literally what we're eating.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The fact that the criteria for obesity diagnosis was arbitrarily changed from having a certain body fat % to having a certain body mass index, which in turn caused people with above average musculature to fit the definition of obesity. And if somebody is a little bit chubby and very muscley they will be morbidly obese.

For example, I almost meet the BMI required to be considered morbidly obese, the last time somebody guessed my weight though they guessed 160 lbs.

EDIT: But really, there's nothing more to it than what I said. Yes, there are a lot more unhealthy people out there than there were 30 years ago, but it is nowhere near the levels being reported by the CDC. (Assuming you used proper body fat % and not estimation via BMI)

Deleted
    Fat people /thread end

Everything people eat is full of sugar and carbs, processed crap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Walking or riding your bike to work where I live isn't really feasible, as people live far away from commerce centers, and there are no bike lanes.

That said, it's not just "eating too much." It's literally what we're eating.
    I've never watched what I'm eating, only how much. Most I've weighed is a bit over 60 kg. Been hovering around 50-55 kg otherwise for ages.

It should also be mentioned that some people become insulin resistant before they reach the point of obesity and will actually suffer from many of the exact same health risks as somebody who is obese but won't be able to get fat anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Everything people eat is full of sugar and carbs, processed crap.
    This. The entire food pyramid is upside down. I just saw that the ice cream tubs I used to get have all been replaced with "low fat" ice cream. So no more tubs of ice cream for me. What did they do? They took fat out of the ice cream and replaced it with more sugar.

People need to be eating more fats/protein and fewer carbs. Carbs in general (sugar in particular) is what causes weight gain. Not fats/protein.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of Japan's obesity rate doesn't count as they are sumo wrestler doing it on purpose XD

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    This. The entire food pyramid is upside down. I just saw that the ice cream tubs I used to get have all been replaced with "low fat" ice cream. So no more tubs of ice cream for me. What did they do? They took fat out of the ice cream and replaced it with more sugar.

People need to be eating more fats/protein and fewer carbs. Carbs in general (sugar in particular) is what causes weight gain. Not fats/protein.
    Chapmans has released a no sugar added lactose free ice cream...

14 grams of carbs per serving, but 8 grams of them are malitol (half calorie low glycemic sugar alcohol), meaning there's only 4 grams of actual sugar per serving.

Tastes just like the real thing... but with less guilt.

You see mostly advanced nations on that list, and nations which allow if not reinforce in many ways sedentary lifestyles.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You see mostly advanced nations on that list, and nations which allow if not reinforce in many ways sedentary lifestyles.
    Yup... carbs make you fat... but only if you don't exercise within an hour of consuming them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how accurate are the Greece and Russia figures, both of these countries majority of the nation can't afford to feed themselves properly

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Yup... carbs make you fat... but only if you don't exercise within an hour of consuming them.
    You could just not eat carbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you seen how broad the definition of obese really is? People who look perfectly healthy and seem to be a normal weight can classify as obese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Convenience and taste.

It's easier, and quicker, to order a pizza than cook a healthy meal. McDonald's for lunch as opposed to eating kale or some shit that's actually good for you but tastes like crap. So the answer is fast food / processed food is to blame.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    farm subsidies.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-