Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    ive been able to lucid dream since always. i can choose how long the dream goes on as well so the first question doesnt even matter.

the second question is also stupid, everything that is in a dreamworld comes from reality, if you forget reality you forget dreams.

lastly, i also think this question is stupid. you have no evidence that lucid dreamers are better or worse at anything, and you arent even trying to find that info out yet you jump to the conclusion that if people could do this thing everyone would be better or worse.

i think you put way, way too much import on dreams. it seems like a very typical grass is greener situation.

i guess i should clarify question 1. unless you confuse dreams with reality, something i have never heard of anyone doing by the way, you will always know that dreams are like watching a movie. when you watch a movie, that movie can take place over a period of 1 day or a period of a million years. this is what it means to be able to control how long a dream goes. dreams will feel like theyre 1 day or a 1 million years long as well. if you want a representation that jived with my experience, that adventure time episode where he gets sucked into pillow land is a good example of "time dilation" that can occur in dreams
    I have never had a Dream so real that I could not tell the difference. If a person has dreams so vivid to them they cant tell the difference, then they most likely can not lucid dream. Perhaps the trick is in how good at picking out small details you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    I have never had a Dream so real that I could not tell the difference. If a person has dreams so vivid to them they cant tell the difference, then they most likely can not lucid dream. Perhaps the trick is in how good at picking out small details you are.
    i'm not good at picking out small details at all. i have adhd and it's one of my issues with it. i tend to skip small details.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    This was a hypothetical for funsies scenario question.
    *E.G. No fact involved at all.

I used the term lucid dreaming to give people a reference point for what I was referring to.
    The question was just supposed to be a discussion on what the world would be like if people had the ability to make their own worlds/adventures in their minds than experience the one actively playing out infront of them. I figured since a lot of people are introverted and don't like being around people, yet desire intimate relationships they might answer this question differently. So it's been interesting seeing the results from this.

I swear though some people like yourself here only come to this site looking for fights and arguments.
    I'm not about that life, I just like asking questions and gauging responses.
    looking for some answers while ignoring others is a classic and fun way to build an ivory tower on quicksand

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i'm not good at picking out small details at all. i have adhd and it's one of my issues with it. i tend to skip small details.
    I think ADHD is a made up condition that does not really exist. You just process information differently. Its a shame they use this to medicate kids into a zombie like state. I have found that people with "adhd" are often very very creative.

I think ADHD is a made up condition that does not really exist. You just process information differently. Its a shame they use this to medicate kids into a zombie like state. I have found that people with "adhd" are often very very creative.
    so its a made up condition that causes people to think differently?

so these people think differently because of no reason at all?

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/10/...scientist.html
    Alex Pietrowski, Waking Times | One of the world’s leading pediatric neuroscientists, Dr. Bruce D. Perry, M.D., Ph.D, recently stated publicly that Attention Deficit/Hyper-Activity Disorder (ADHD) is not ‘a real disease,’ and warned of the dangers of giving psycho-stimulant medications to children.

Speaking to the Observer, Dr. Perry noted that the disorder known as ADHD should be considered a description of a wide range of symptoms that many children and adults exhibit, most of which are factors that everyone of us displays at some point during our lives.

“It is best thought of as a description. If you look at how you end up with that label, it is remarkable because any one of us at any given time would fit at least a couple of those criteria,” he said.

Dr. Perry is a senior fellow of the ChildTrauma Academy in Houston, Texas, a highly respected member of the pediatric community, and author of several books on child psychology including, The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist’s Notebook–What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love, and Healing, and, Born for Love: Why Empathy Is Essential–and Endangered.

His comments are quite refreshing at a time when diagnoses for ADHD in the UK and the US are sky-rocketing and prescriptions of stimulant medications to children are also rising rapidly, with many parents and concerned activists growing suspicious of the pharmaceutical industry’s motivations in promoting drugs to children. Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse and other mind-altering stimulant medications are increasingly prescribed to children between the ages of 4 and 17.

Dr. Perry noted that the use of medications like these may be dangerous to the overall physical and mental development of the child, remarking on studies where these medications were given to animals and were proven detrimental to health.

“If you give psychostimulants to animals when they are young, their rewards systems change. They require much more stimulation to get the same level of pleasure.

“So on a very concrete level they need to eat more food to get the same sensation of satiation. They need to do more high-risk things to get that little buzz from doing something. It is not a benign phenomenon.

“Taking a medication influences systems in ways we don’t always understand. I tend to be pretty cautious about this stuff, particularly when the research shows you that other interventions are equally effective and over time more effective and have none of the adverse effects. For me it’s a no-brainer.”

Given that the problem of ADHD is complex and the term is more of a blanket term used to describe a wide range of behavioral symptoms, it is important to consider what the root causes of many of the symptoms may be before pharmaceutical intervention should be considered. Citing potential remedies, Dr. Perry suggested an approach that focuses attention on the parents and the child’s environment, while also recommending natural remedies like Yoga, and improved diet.

“There are number of non-pharmacological therapies which have been pretty effective. A lot of them involve helping the adults that are around children,” he said.

“Part of what happens is if you have an anxious, overwhelmed parent, that is contagious. When a child is struggling, the adults around them are easily disregulated too. This negative feedback process between the frustrated teacher or parent and dis-regulated child can escalate out of control.

“You can teach the adults how to regulate themselves, how to have realistic expectations of the children, how to give them opportunities that are achievable and have success and coach them through the process of helping children who are struggling.

“There are a lot of therapeutic approaches. Some would use somato-sensory therapies like yoga, some use motor activity like drumming.

“All have some efficacy. If you can put together a package of those things: keep the adults more mannered, give the children achievable goals, give them opportunities to regulate themselves, then you are going to minimise a huge percentage of the problems I have seen with children who have the problem labelled as ADHD.”

Many people may disagree with the assertion that ADD/ADHD should not be considered a disease, however, the fact remains that the myriad symptoms that are associated with these increasingly common ‘disorders’ can often be addressed and relieved without creating an addiction and dependency on pharmaceutical medications, which disrupt the mind and body in ways that are not fully understood or even researched.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think your full of ignorance and bullshit. go ahead argue with established medical science.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

that article states that ADHD is a disease, just that it shouldnt be treated how its currently being treated

thread successfully derailed #swag

Imagine a world where you had 100% control over your dreams, while dreaming you were essentially a god of your own universe. You'd still feel and experience all sensations as if they were happening in real time, but you would be in complete control of how events played out.

1. If you had this power, would you spend more of your life sleeping or awake?
    2. Would you end up forgetting about the real world in order to keep living in your dream world (only taking care of your real world needs for survival)?
    3. If the ability were made available to the entire world. Do you think society would be made better or worse as a result of it?
    1. Having this ability has not changed my sleep patterns.
    2. This is unlikely to happen, the fact that you dream lucidly means you are aware of what is reality and what is not.
    3. I don't think it changes the world at all, lucidity takes practice, so in theory is available to everyone.

Side note: While able to change the content of my dreams, sometimes its fun to see where they go on their own.

It's funny, because the most common type of medication for ADHD are stimulants, which prompt users into anything but a zombie-like state.

But it's good that you shared your lack of knowledge and experience on this subject, now we can summarily discard all your future and current opinions to the proverbial rubbish dump.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

i think your full of ignorance and bullshit. go ahead argue with established medical science.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../business.html

If you had this power, would you spend more of your life sleeping or awake?
    I'd probably get a good 8 hours sleep each night, something I don't do right now. But that's it.

Would you end up forgetting about the real world in order to keep living in your dream world (only taking care of your real world needs for survival)?
    Nah. Lucid dreaming isn't that amazing. Pretty sure the fact that it is a rare occurance is one of the things that makes it so good.

If the ability were made available to the entire world. Do you think society would be made better or worse as a result of it??
    Since the two most common practices while lucid is to fly and fuck, it might help people reduce some sexual frustration. And that'd be beneficial in a lot of ways.

Quick question. How many of you while lucid dreaming have gone 3rd person and observed yourself from a distance? I've found this option difficult to replicate, only doing it a few times per year.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It's funny, because the most common type of medication for ADHD are stimulants, which prompt users into anything but a zombie-like state.

But it's good that you shared your lack of knowledge and experience on this subject, now we can summarily discard all your future and current opinions to the proverbial rubbish dump.
    Hmm lets see, a Nephew who was diagnosed with it and given Ritalin that turned him into a drone while he was on it, many friends children with the same and even a doctor who try to say I had it as a adult...yeah I think I have a bit of experience with it. And the drugs do turn these kids into little zombies.
    Have a Nice day

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyldragon View Post
    Since the two most common practices while lucid is to fly and fuck, it might help people reduce some sexual frustration. And that'd be beneficial in a lot of ways.
    As my first act of Mayor of Dream town, I instate that every First Tuesday of the month is massive flying orgy day, and as such will be treated as a civic holiday!
    Rejoice people of sexy dream town! Rejoice!
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Quick question. How many of you while lucid dreaming have gone 3rd person and observed yourself from a distance? I've found this option difficult to replicate, only doing it a few times per year.
    I have. It does not usually last long and tends to wake me up fast. It does not happen often and if I try to do it, most of the time it ends the dream and I wake up.
    Last edited by Dystemper; 2015-10-27 at 01:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    my first act would be to make it mandatory for elven females to walk around naked.

As my first act of Mayor of Dream town, I instate that every First Tuesday of the month is massive flying orgy day, and as such will be treated as a civic holiday!
    Rejoice people of sexy dream town! Rejoice!
    That could be messy

7+ Year Old Account
    That could be messy
    for the people on the ground! lol.

- - - Updated - - -

my first act would be to make it mandatory for elven females to walk around naked.
    I forgot you could dream up things like that.
    I guess in this scenario you could live out the rest of your days as a cartoon in your own little dream world.

I'm changing my answer, to sleeping forever and collecting welfare to only sleep forever.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

Deleted
    You assume that you'd "still feel and experience all sensations as if they were happening in real time".

1: If it would feel as real as reality feels, then I'd not spend any time in reality any more - provided random things would still happen in my dreams, even if I could steer or control them. Without random things, dreamworld would get boring. I would spend all of my time dreaming lucid, if that were an option, if randomness (say, meeting random people, or random events interrupting whatever you're doing) remained intact.

2: Possibly. Not sure if you can 'control' that to that extent... I can't choose what to forget. But as long as the dream experiences feel as real as reality does, I'd see no reason for preferring reality over the dream.

3: People would stop working and unless robots could provide for us, that might be a problem. Entrusting our lives to robots completely might be a problem, also.
    I do think the world would be a (MUCH) happier place for those living in it, even if the human race would slowly die out as a consequence. At least it died happy.

There are many things I'd like to do but can't (or won't) do in the world that I live in. Controlling 'real' dreams would allow me to do anything, and I'd like that.
    Last edited by mmocbc5645dc6c; 2015-10-27 at 01:51 PM.