Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How unique is surnames in your home country?

Mine is Lee and it's one of the more common surnames in the country, so it's not very unique and I feel it's a bit bland and boring with so many people who have the same surnames.
    Some places on earth have a far more variety in surnames so I would want to know how unique surnames are in different countries

Which are the most common names in your countries? Please specify the country and the name.

Smith. There's no way you do not know one where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Mine is Lee
    Is your first name Vea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine is quite uncommon, as the origin of it is a screw up in US immigration last century.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Mine is fairly rare. Prigmore.

The most common surnames in my country;the UK are Smith, Jones and Williams, going from first to last.

Extremely rare. Like: it would be too easy to find me if I wrote it here rare. Ironically it's the only one of my surnames I don't have blood relations to since my dad's stepfather formally adopted him.
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2015-10-27 at 06:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

No, it's romanized as ji-eun
    i miss Vea Lea

My surname is Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine is Lee and it's one of the more common surnames in the country, so it's not very unique and I feel it's a bit bland and boring with so many people who have the same surnames.
    Some places on earth have a far more variety in surnames so I would want to know how unique surnames are in different countries

Which are the most common names in your countries? Please specify the country and the name.
    Mine is very unique globally. Unfortunately I do not wish to submit that information to the masses. But as far as I have found, my father is the eldest with this name. And he, my brother and I are the last remaining males in the world with our name.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Extremely rare. Like: it would be too easy to find me if I wrote it here rare. Ironically it's the only one of my surnames I don't have blood relations to since my dad's stepfather formally adopted him.
    I always suspect, that threads like this are exactly for that. Fishing for peoples personal information, to be used for whatever purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

If you meet some one with my Surname, they are related to me.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

U.S. and I don't want to specify it as it's so rare that you can find my face on a Google search of my last name. I would venture to say there are less than 80 of us in the entire country/world and we're all related, albeit distantly.
    Last edited by McCulloch; 2015-10-27 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I always suspect, that threads like this are exactly for that. Fishing for peoples personal information, to be used for whatever purposes.
    I asked about how unique names are
    Don't want to know their personal surnames but it's ok to say how rare or common it is

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    If you meet some one with my Surname, they are related to me.
    That's pretty cool

According to a search i did last year, i am the only person in this country with my surname. (Parents divorced shortly after my birth, i have my fathers surname, but ended up moving to my mothers country of birth at the age of 9).

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Mine is very unique globally. Unfortunately I do not wish to submit that information to the masses. But as far as I have found, my father is the eldest with this name. And he, my brother and I are the last remaining males in the world with our name.
    I know the feeling. There are a few more, but only 1 of us has produced a son to carry the name. Told my daughter to keep her name if she gets married, my sister did the same.

Its an odd feeling, being one of the last of a family line.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty cool
    Thanks! Sadly there are only a few males left of breeding age, need to get some sons pumped out.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The most common surnames in my country, in this order, are Smith, Johnson, Williams, and Jones. My last name is not one of these.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Compared to some, mine is unheard of, I think when I put it into my old companies database there were like 10 people, compared to the Andersons, Smiths, Garcias, Lopezs, etc. Its my understanding that it might have been shortened when my ancestors came to America.

0,004% of the Swedish population has my surname.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    Both my middle name (mothers side) and last name (fathers side) are unique to those families, less than a total of 100 people with any of them.

Pretty strange tbh, never met anyone who's heard of either of them before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I know the feeling. There are a few more, but only 1 of us has produced a son to carry the name. Told my daughter to keep her name if she gets married, my sister did the same.

Its an odd feeling, being one of the last of a family line.
    Totally. I likely will not be having children (you can all thank me later) So I am really hoping my brother decides to. Otherwise, our family name will be lost forever.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.