Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account

Help with new PC build needed (might be troublesome).

So my old computer, aged 9 years old (yes it can run WoW on it) needs to be replaced. As you probably gathered by the previous phrase, i am not tech savvy, not happy with frequent upgrades (changed only mobo and powersupply on the old machine) and i value long lasting quality builds. Reading this forum helped me a lot to find which parts i plan to use on my new PC. So, i kindly ask of you to read what follows and give me your enthusiast opinions.

Before giving a list of parts, some background info. I currently reside in Greece which has bank capital controls enforced, preventing me to actually buy anything from the internet. Therefore, the part list will guide you to the biggest computer shop/company in Greece. If you would suggest any change in parts, please use the list their internet site provides (parts are in english, so you won't have any problems reading what is available).

Sole exception from the above will actually be the monitor purchase, as it will be possible to order this with the help of my brother who lives in Ireland. You can recommend anything you deem worthy of the build, screen wise.

Online Shop : www.plaisio.gr

Build so far :

http://bto.plaisio.gr/Machine?state=...-9-30-15-02-14

List

Case: Fazn Titan II Full Tower
    Power Supply: Corsair PSU HX Series 1000 W 80+ Platinum HX1000i Modular
    CPU: Intel CPU Core i7 4790K (1150/4.00 GHz/8 MB)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair CPU Cooler Hydro H100i GTX Extreme Performance
    Motherboard: Not Chosen Yet.
    Memory: Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance 32GB Kit 1866MHz DDR3
    Video Card: Palit VGA GTX 980Ti Super Jetstream 6GB
    Storage: SanDisk SSD Extreme Pro 240GB
    Storage: WD Black Desktop HDD 3TB
    Optical Drive: Samsung Internal Optical Desktop SH-224DB
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM

This build will be my entertainment computer for at least 4 years. That means it will mainly be used for WoW, plus any other heavily graphic game i have missed the last two years. The only addition i may want to make is a second GPU. In that case i may move to a 4k resolution screen, but i do want the GPU 4K able atm. I plan to overclock the CPU.

I would like some advice/opinions on the following parts: Power Supply (chosen for the possibility of 2nd GPU), CPU Cooler (is it enough for 4.6GHz OC or should i get something stronger?), MOTHERBOARD (have no idea where to plug in all those parts. Easier overclocking is a plus), both storage disks (plan to install OS, WoW and only 1 more game at the same time to SSD, rest will go to HDD).

I would also love if you can recommend a 2560x1440 quality monitor. Refresh rate can be 60hz, as i doubt i will be reaching 144fps while raiding. If the monitor can auto adjust refresh from 144 to 60 hz while playing WoW (open world/raids) feel free to recommend a 144hz one. If the price is right, i may get 2 monitors as well.

Last, while price is not generally an issue, i wouldn't want to exceed 4000 euros for total purchases (budget includes computer, monitor, keyboard and a gaming mouse on the 100-150 euro range, so leave some leeway for those as well). Remember i value quaility and time endurance with more than mid to high performance (but not highest currently).

Sorry if i have spent your time reading all this, will appreciate any feedback you will be able to give me.

Deleted
    4k is too much, even for the very high prices in Greece. Here's all for under 3k from a shop i usually use. You should "skroutz" for the best prices, plaisio is most of the times expensive. You will find say the gpu, in some shops even for 100euro less:
    (psu is there with enough watts for a 2nd 980ti).

(click image to enlarge)

Deleted
    The configuration from OP is bad in multiple ways - overkill PSU (yes, even for future SLI), "old" cpu architecture - I know Skylake is not a huge improvement but especially if you're going for 980 Ti SLI later on you will need the additional PCI lanes and other new features... always go for the newest architecture, especially considering the prices are very close...

32 GB RAM way overkill for a gaming PC, 8 gb is enough, 16 gb if you want to overkill and be 100% future proof, 32 GB is wasted money. Also, go for DDR4. There aren't many gains to it in gaming, but again, DDR4 is the new standard and the prices are very close to what DDR3 was until a few weeks ago.

I would probably also go for a better SSD. But I guess that does not matter too much.

All in all the config by Kostatto above is way better.
    Last edited by mmoc334322c777; 2015-09-30 at 01:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recommend using skroutz or visionstudio and pick the parts up from retailers near you (if you buy all parts from the same place they can assemble the computer on the spot, assuming they have technicians), they are by far the cheapest merchants. Plaisio has ridiculously high prices in comparison, albeit their service is usually good.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-09-30 at 05:48 PM.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the time you have spent replying to my post. I do feel, though, i have to explain my choices better, after seeing your suggestions.

1. The reason i am using plaisio is the fast service they provide and their ability to replace in quick lightning time any part that will stop working as intended, be it on guarantee or not. I am very pleased with their actual response time to my needs and i do not mind to pay a premium i know they have on their prices, just to know i can bring my computer to them in need and have it back in less than 1 day.

So, if you would be so kind, review my OP and make suggestions based on their product availability, if it is not a problem. I am grateful for your suggestions and the time you have spent to make them Kostattoo, but i will not order parts from various shops and assemble the computer myself, even if i am able to (i usually dismantle the computer myself when in need of dust cleaning). If you could visit plaisio again and suggest stuff they got there, i'd be very happy. Don't think i am stubborn, i just want to have a mostly hassle free experience with my computer and not have it be another nuisance in my life with possible returns, refunds from various sellers and not use my machine for possible extended periods of time. The Greek bank capital controls cause more problems to general product availability and i wouldn't want to put up with various extra delays because of them. That's what i meant that my computer build might be troublesome in the post title, as i am limiting myself to Plaisio's product availability, willingly, though. I will definitely query them if they can order some of your part suggestions though.

2. I chose the CPU in my OP because it is a 4GHz one and the info i managed to gather around the internet is that it can be overclocked to 4.6 easily. Funnily enough, one of the OC reviews actually reached that speed with my OP CPU cooler. Since i will be mostly playing WoW, i want my CPU to be fast on that one core WoW will be using. Is my choice wrong? Will the CPU you proposed be able to compete with WoW performance of the OP CPU? I don't mind going for the Skylakes, but their one core speed seems limited for what i want. Also, how is their overclocking?

3. While i get your point about the "overkill" RAM, i want to stress again my tendency to keep my system for long periods of time, if possible with no upgrades, unless hardware failure. The choice of 32 GB not only helps with future memory upgrades and the need to find compatible ram modules, but will also be helpful instantly, as i tend to open 2 wow clients simultaneously, plus a browser with youtube, MMO etc (that's why i also want a faster CPU as well). Recently i have been using my wife's laptop for my 2nd wow client, since my old build can't handle 2 of them (it could through MoP, not since WoD). So, thanks for the RAM advice, but my need (or desire, if you please) for 32GB stays strong. If you can suggest a better 32GB memory set (or 2 x 16GB sets) from the plaisio list, feel free to do so.

4. About the PSU, i agree it is overkill, but since plaisio offers mostly Corsair CX ones, which i read they are not overall good, i decided i'd pay something extra to have a long lasting PSU. Which one from the plaisio list you think it might meet my needs considering a 2nd GPU in the future?

5. 4k euros is the absolute maximum i would pay for the build, if you were going to suggest stuff that i could pay more and be happy about using it in the whole run. Any build suggestion that meets my needs and is significantly cheaper will be happilly considered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    So, if you would be so kind, review my OP and make suggestions based on their product availability, if it is not a problem. I am grateful for your suggestions and the time you have spent to make them Kostattoo, but i will not order parts from various shops and assemble the computer myself, even if i am able to (i usually dismantle the computer myself when in need of dust cleaning). If you could visit plaisio again and suggest stuff they got there, i'd be very happy. Don't think i am stubborn, i just want to have a mostly hassle free experience with my computer and not have it be another nuisance in my life with possible returns, refunds from various sellers and not use my machine for possible extended periods of time. The Greek bank capital controls cause more problems to general product availability and i wouldn't want to put up with various extra delays because of them. That's what i meant that my computer build might be troublesome in the post title, as i am limiting myself to Plaisio's product availability, willingly, though. I will definitely query them if they can order some of your part suggestions though.
    You can easily bring all the parts to a pc shop and ask them to assemble the pc for you for a small fee (~30 euros I think). Some shops assemble the pc for free if you buy the bulk of the parts from them.

Like I said, Plaisio service is top tier, but their prices are a big no-no.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    You can easily bring all the parts to a pc shop and ask them to assemble the pc for you for a small fee (~30 euros I think). Some shops assemble the pc for free if you buy the bulk of the parts from them.

Like I said, Plaisio service is top tier, but their prices are a big no-no.
    You do not understand. I want the computer built from Plaisio, because they give faster service to computers built from them, than computers who were built by others, despite accepting them for service. I repeat that my insistence is not from stubborness, but comes from the facts and experiences i have accumulated with the company and other computer services through the years (at least since 2000). In time of financial crisis and capital controls in Greece, i want an one-stop shop service experience, and plaisio has the funds, the employees, the experience and the level of service i demand. I do not need someone to build the computer for me. I have enough knowledge to do that. I just don't want (me or someone else) to do so.

So again, if you want to contribute to this thread and help me, please review Plaisio's list of equipment and suggest possible better choices i could have made. Your other suggestions will be considered as possibilities to have Plaisio order the parts, although i am not sure they will be able to. That's why i insist i want suggestions from their list, so i can have at least a ready to build system.
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2015-09-30 at 07:49 PM.

Deleted
    About the cpu it was a misclick on my part when i picked the parts fast, the i7 was the 6700k. Besides that don't compare GHz of different cpu gens or even between intel and cpu for that matter. Both will perform similarly in gaming and even if one is like a few mhz over the other you will still overclock so that doesn't matter.
    The only reason you would go on an old gen cpu is if you were on a tight budget and you couldn't afford new stuff, provided old was cheaper.

About the corsair h110i you should grab some different fans to go along with it unless you want your pc case sound like a jest engine under load. Would suggest Be Quiet! Shadow Wings2 or Noctua NF-12 i think it was, either should be 4pin, pwm.

The psu is good, i just felts it was a bit too much, for gtx980ti sli you will need like 700watts at full load.

About the ram. You definately don't need 32gb is way too much. EVen if you don't reset for a while its still alot. And if you are going to go for that much, cause you just fancy having it, then you got one more reason to get off ddr3 and go to ddr4. Grab a kit of 16gb like i mentioned and if you need more you can buy one later.

About the gpu i wouldn't get a pali one. Rather get one from asus, gigabyte, msi, evga.

I did try to make you a build from the shop you selected but was almost impossible. There is no variety only a few things from each part so...

edit: about the capital controls, thats no excuse you can buy from any online shop within Greece with a credit card. If the amount of goods to be bought is over your card limit you can do a money transfer from a bank or via e-banking. NOthing changed if you do shop inside the country.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-09-30 at 08:10 PM.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your helpful contribution, Kostattoo. Seeing you're Greek as well, your advice holds even more value for me. I have visited the site you "suggested" with your pic (e-shop.gr, i said it, not you, since i wouldn't want anyone to think i'm sneakily advertising Plaisio) and browsed it a bit. I will definitely give a more thorough search on their stuff, since their variety is humongous, compared to plaisio.gr.

You have swayed me a bit, not because of the capital controls argument (i was aware of the options you mentioned), but because your shop suggestion at least boasts the same service terms and efficiency with Plaisio. I am not familiar with them, though (i think i bought some of my first PC parts back in 2000) and they only hold one service point where i live, while plaisio has at least 3. I think my loyalty to plaisio is also based on the fact that they operate on the whole country, which was quite useful for me, since for years i have been changing residence within Greece and wanted readily available service.

Anyway, the capital controls worry me for the possibility of not finding immediately possible replacements (or upgrades, if i follow your 16GB RAM advice). For example, i could not find a single 1680x1050 monitor that could be bought immediately (within the day, in the city i live), because most computer shops do not have stocks, but order them when requested (Yeah, i know the resolution is considered special and is mostly abandoned by the manufacturers, but you get my point).

I will return to the thread tomorrow after more snooping around the net.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    About the cpu it was a misclick on my part when i picked the parts fast, the i7 was the 6700k. Besides that don't compare GHz of different cpu gens or even between intel and cpu for that matter. Both will perform similarly in gaming and even if one is like a few mhz over the other you will still overclock so that doesn't matter.
    The only reason you would go on an old gen cpu is if you were on a tight budget and you couldn't afford new stuff, provided old was cheaper.
    After some searching around i think i may be swayed a bit by your suggestion, Kostattoo. The build you have proposed to me from e-shop.gr seems solid and worthy overall. Also, they still have a service point in my city and they fulfill my one stop shop demands for service. I did not find the 6700k CPU in their product list, though. I may have to query them on that.

On the memory matter, i will insist on buying a 32 GB ram kit, seeing that the skylake chipset can support up to 64. It seems that the 32 GB on DDR4 come in 4x bundles, which means if i ever want more memory i'd have to buy new memory chips, anyway. However, i am unable (not tech savvy enough) to choose which 32GB memory bundle i would buy that could be the fastest possible with an overclocked 6700K and the motherboard you suggested (ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING).

Remember, i don't want what is enough or adequate, i want the fastest possible. Does the memory frequency plays any part on the speed? Should i go for more frequency, like 2800 or 3000 MHz? on the m/b specs, the higher frequency memories seem supported, but only overclocked. Could you elaborate on this please?

On the storage options i think i will stick with my initial choice of Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB, as having a bigger one for the OS, WoW and a game, say like, GTA5 or Witcher 3 doesn't seem a good idea. I will also stick with the WD 3TB Caviar Black, as it is possible i may use a partition of it for gaming that i wouldn't want to install on the SSD.

On the OS i will go with your Windows 10 suggestion, although they are still being "calibrated" (reading about lots of issues with various computer specs, games etc).

Monitor wise, i will probably go for the ACER XB270HU, because it is IPS, supports G-sync and seems a little better choice than the Dell one you suggested. E-shop doesn't have it, though, so i guess it's order through my brother.

Any suggestions welcome.

On the memory matter, i will insist on buying a 32 GB ram kit, seeing that the skylake chipset can support up to 64. It seems that the 32 GB on DDR4 come in 4x bundles, which means if i ever want more memory i'd have to buy new memory chips, anyway. However, i am unable (not tech savvy enough) to choose which 32GB memory bundle i would buy that could be the fastest possible with an overclocked 6700K and the motherboard you suggested (ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING).

Remember, i don't want what is enough or adequate, i want the fastest possible. Does the memory frequency plays any part on the speed? Should i go for more frequency, like 2800 or 3000 MHz? on the m/b specs, the higher frequency memories seem supported, but only overclocked. Could you elaborate on this please?
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Let's just pretend for a minute that you could put DDR3 onto a Skylake Motherboard. If you did, you would notice about zero difference between having 8GB of 1600mHz DDR3 and 64GB of 2400mHz DDR4. That's right, no discernible difference. You will not even notice it. Just get 8GB of whatever DDR4 is the cheapest, then, if some unforseen thing happens in the next couple of years and all the sudden 8GB is not enough(highly highly unlikely) then you can add another 8GB of the same speed and have 16 which is WAY WAY more than enough.

On the storage options i think i will stick with my initial choice of Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB, as having a bigger one for the OS, WoW and a game, say like, GTA5 or Witcher 3 doesn't seem a good idea. I will also stick with the WD 3TB Caviar Black, as it is possible i may use a partition of it for gaming that i wouldn't want to install on the SSD.
    For the SSD, I, and pretty much everyone around here, will recommend against the SanDisk. Go for a Samsung 850 or a Crucial MX/BX 100. They are superior drives in just about every way.

On the OS i will go with your Windows 10 suggestion, although they are still being "calibrated" (reading about lots of issues with various computer specs, games etc).
    On this matter, I know a lot of people around here are suggesting Widows 10 and a lot of people are having no problems with it. Personally though, I still have 8.1 and even though I can upgrade to 10 for free, I am probably going to wait until the last month the free upgrade is available. I would recommend to do the same thing as there are still lots of people that ARE having issues with 10. By that time, the issues will have been sorted out and there will be more help available via google if there is a problem.

Deleted
    Yeah i agree with Lathais, stay with crucial,samsung, corsair (neutron) and intel.

About the ram, its been said that 2400 is better than say 2133. I doupt makes any difference in gaming, maybe in benchmarks. Also might be hard to keep the 2400+ while having the cpu overclocked high-ish. Just go with what is cheaper.

O/s go with what you want. You will upgrade to win10 eventualy so why not but it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can put DDR3 with specific Skylake boards, they have to be low volt DDR3L versions however, so you have to either undervolt normal DDR3 or pay more for DDR3L which kind of destroys the point of saving any money.

Skylake however does scale better with increased memory clock. Speeds at 2666MHz+ at Cas Latency 15 is pretty much needed to gain a decent performance over Haswell.
    http://hardocp.com/article/2015/08/0...cking_review/6
    In haswell the numbers for these kinds of test would only net a +-2% as oppose to a gigantic gap like this. Too lazy to dig up the anand article somewhere.

There's also this for an additional.
    http://anandtech.com/show/9607/skyla...-optimizations

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    O/s go with what you want. You will upgrade to win10 eventualy so why not but it now.
    Because many people still have issues with it currently. Not all, maybe not even most, but there are people out there having issues. I have always found it best to wait for Microsoft's newest OS to be out for about a year so all the kinks can get ironed out. That's just me though.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    On the SSD, my choice was based on: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3269.html . Could you redirect me to a review where Sandisk performs poorly or quality problems were stated? I do not ask this to counter your opinion, it's just that i haven't read or heard anything about the poor quality of the Sandisks.

Lathais, on the matter of memory, i am sorry you find my preferences ridiculous. I also didn't ask you to judge my decision, but to help me make one on the type AND NOT THE AMOUNT of memory. If you think you're helping me by telling me i shouldn't do something i want because i can (and as long as it doesn't concern you or any other person), then i guess this comes from your personal problems, not mine.

As i have stated before, i plan to use this computer with almost no upgrades at all (if possible) for a matter of years. I would very much like to not even touch the case lid for a long time if nothing breaks apart. Furthermore, i do tend to have MANY applications open at the same time. I know my computer habits, you don't. So can you please stop the criticism and either suggest which 32GB 4x memory bundle i should get or leave this thread. Your contribution already is on the borders of trolling, since i have already explained my reasons for my choice.

Kostattoo, thanks for your continous calm contribution. The reason i ask about the memory speeds is that i don't mind paying the current premium price to have my system futureproof. My memory choice may be on the boast side now, but i feel i can abuse it (For example, i wouldn't mind having all 4 of my wow accounts open at the same time to multibox one ONE machine, plus youtube, browsing and other background working software at the same time) and i know it will come handy 3-4 years down the road.

Remilia, i do not plan to use DDR3 memories with this build. I plan to buy a 32GB (4x8) DDR4 memory bundle with the fastest frequency the proposed motherboard (ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING) can handle. I wouldn't want to pay for a 3000MHz memory set if the motherboard can't support or use it. I may be stubborn on the amount of memory i want, i am not an idiot to pay for something i will never be able to use though. As i have said before, the specs of the motherboard seem to include the 3400MHz memories (see http://www.e-shop.gr/asus-z170-pro-g...l-p-PER.524409 , sorry for the greek page, the memory specs are included on the 4th bolded dot), but almost every frequency above 2133 MHz seems to be only be achieved with overclocking (that's what i presume OC means, i have no idea why there's a star on the 2400-2800 frequencies).

Two reviews i found ( http://www.play3r.net/reviews/mother...rboard-review/ & http://www.hardwareheaven.com/2015/0...gaming-review/ ) were made with 2666MHz, another ( http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainbo...gaming/?page=3 ) with 2133Mhz. Remilia's link says the default is 2133 MHz and that with overclocking they reached 3600MHz. What do you guys make of this?
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2015-10-01 at 08:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certified speed by Jedec is 2133MHz, which is why anything above that is considered overclock. Technically they can go through another verification process to make it higher but I don't know if they care enough to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Because many people still have issues with it currently. Not all, maybe not even most, but there are people out there having issues. I have always found it best to wait for Microsoft's newest OS to be out for about a year so all the kinks can get ironed out. That's just me though.
    I did 1 upgrade, and 1 fresh new install, on 2 completely different machines and have 0 issues. Win 10 is miles ahead of any previous Win launch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hello Fabinas!

I am seeing some bizarre recommendations in this thread.
    First off, get an SSD for your OS. Samsung is the best hands down. I have 240gb and it is a little tight for size. If you only keep the OS on the drive then 240 is more than enough. Know this, SSD does NOT increase frame rates over a 7200rpm HDD (this has been proven). It does however reduce load times significantly...run wow on your SSD as there are lots of loading screens.

RAM. Timing are much better with just 2 DIMM slots used as opposed to 4. Anything over 16gb is not needed unless you are using your computer as a bukit server for minecraft. GTA 5 is the only thing that comes close to needing over 8gb of RAM. Anything over 2400mhz is NOT an improvement on frame rate. 2133mhz seems to be the sweet spot for gaming with CAS latency being far more important. You want CAS9 if possible for 2133mhz. The difference from 1600mhz to 2133mhz at CAS9 is about 2-5 fps and that depends on the game. I personally use 16gb 1866mhz CAS10.

Processor. You do not need a hyper threaded i7 for gaming. It only provides benefit for video encoding. The i5-4690K is at a great price now with the launch of Skylake. If you anticipate using DDR4 RAM than go with Skylake but I strongly recommend the awesome i5-4690K Devil's Canyon. It can OC to 4.4ghz at 1.2 volts needing only a hyper 212 evolution air cooler with temps reaching 70C under stress test load. Every chip is different and OC over 4.4 varies. 4.6ghz is pretty common with this chip.

Motherboard. If you go with the Devil's Canyon you will need a board to handle to 1150 chipset. I personally use the MSI Z97 Gaming 5. LOVE IT! I hear very good things about the Asus boards though. One of the biggest reasons I went with the MSI is I also have the MSI GTX 970 4gb (3.5 really >.<).

Video Card. If you can afford the GTX 980 than go with it. If you are playing on a big screen TV than you do not need more than a 970. Do not listen to those that tell you to get 2 cards in SLI over the single 980. You will get far more out of a single 980 than 2 lesser in SLI. Not everthing supports SLI well. I am huge on Nvidia due to superior driver support. They update drivers with every major game release. I love my MSI GTX 970. It is without a doubt the quietest card available and looks sexy to. The cooling on MSI cards are second to none.

NOTE: My recommendations are for an air cooled setup but if you want to water cool the Phanteks can fit a complete loop setup just mind radiator height on the top.

Case. Phanteks Ethoos Pro is the best case under $150 and it is only $99. This thing is so build friendly, it truly is awesome. The cable management makes a clean build a breeze. I cannot recommend this case enough. You will thank me bro.
    Last edited by Animalhouse; 2015-10-01 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

I'll never understand why people ask for help, and then insult the people giving it.

Seriously dude, the SanDisk Extreme Pro is like twice as expensive as the ones we recommend for so little gain you will never even notice the difference.

Everything you described can easily be done with 16GB RAM for the next 4 years.

Only trying to save you money, if you just want to blow it regardless of what people tell you, then why bother asking us, just buy what you want.

and seriously, gonna call me almost trolling just for trying to help you?

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    Hello Fabinas!

I am seeing some bizarre recommendations in this thread.
    First off, get an SSD for your OS. Samsung is the best hands down. I have 240gb and it is a little tight for size. If you only keep the OS on the drive then 240 is more than enough. Know this, SSD does NOT increase frame rates over a 7200rpm HDD (this has been proven). It does however reduce load times significantly...run wow on your SSD as there are lots of loading screens.

RAM. Timing are much better with just 2 DIMM slots used as opposed to 4. Anything over 16gb is not needed unless you are using your computer as a bukit server for minecraft. GTA 5 is the only thing that comes close to needing over 8gb of RAM. Anything over 2400mhz is NOT an improvement on frame rate. 2133mhz seems to be the sweet spot for gaming with CAS latency being far more important. You want CAS9 if possible for 2133mhz. The difference from 1600mhz to 2133mhz at CAS9 is about 2-5 fps and that depends on the game. I personally use 16gb 1866mhz CAS10.

Processor. You do not need a hyper threaded i7 for gaming. It only provides benefit for video encoding. The i5-4690K is at a great price now with the launch of Skylake. If you anticipate using DDR4 RAM than go with Skylake but I strongly recommend the awesome i5-4690K Devil's Canyon. It can OC to 4.4ghz at 1.2 volts needing only a hyper 212 evolution air cooler with temps reaching 70C under stress test load. Every chip is different and OC over 4.4 varies. 4.6ghz is pretty common with this chip.

Motherboard. If you go with the Devil's Canyon you will need a board to handle to 1150 chipset. I personally use the MSI Z97 Gaming 5. LOVE IT! I hear very good things about the Asus boards though. One of the biggest reasons I went with the MSI is I also have the MSI GTX 970 4gb (3.5 really >.<).

Video Card. If you can afford the GTX 980 than go with it. If you are playing on a big screen TV than you do not need more than a 970. Do not listen to those that tell you to get 2 cards in SLI over the single 980. You will get far more out of a single 980 than 2 lesser in SLI. Not everthing supports SLI well. I am huge on Nvidia due to superior driver support. They update drivers with every major game release. I love my MSI GTX 970. It is without a doubt the quietest card available and looks sexy to. The cooling on MSI cards are second to none.

NOTE: My recommendations are for an air cooled setup but if you want to water cool the Phanteks can fit a complete loop setup just mind radiator height on the top.

Case. Phanteks Ethoos Pro is the best case under $150 and it is only $99. This thing is so build friendly, it truly is awesome. The cable management makes a clean build a breeze. I cannot recommend this case enough. You will thank me bro.
    Thank you for your time and recommendations. I do plan to get an SSD for the OS, WoW and an extra game (rest are going to a WD Caviar Black 3TB, partitioned for games, music, general storage). It seems you missed my previous post, where i proposed the Sandisk 240GB Extreme Pro, because of http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3269.html , but you guys keep suggesting the Samsung ones. I will definitely check them, i just don't understand the Sandisk dismissal.

As for the memory, i do not understand those technical terms (only vaguely), though i do understand your point for 2 ram chips. However, the http://hardocp.com/article/2015/08/0...ocking_review/ review, both inside and on the conclusions states that with Skylake, the higher the memory frequencies, the better the results (tests were also run with DDR4 memory underclocked to 1866 MHz for comparison). It also recommends as minimum the 16GB (4x4) 2666 MHz memories (see conclusions). Any comments?

As for the Skylake decision, my initial choice was the I7-4790K, but Kostattoo changed my mind, given i plan to keep this sytem for a long time. My GPU choice is the 980Ti, because of 6GB memory, which will also last me for a long time. Memory will be 32GB because i say i need it (i do not want to see a swap file EVER in my life) and because i work with many programs simultaneously. I understand your suggestions, but on the amount of memory nothing will sway me. And i will not feed the trolls anymore (not referring to you, Animalhouse).

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for your time and recommendations. I do plan to get an SSD for the OS, WoW and an extra game (rest are going to a WD Caviar Black 3TB, partitioned for games, music, general storage). It seems you missed my previous post, where i proposed the Sandisk 240GB Extreme Pro, because of http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3269.html , but you guys keep suggesting the Samsung ones. I will definitely check them, i just don't understand the Sandisk dismissal.

As for the memory, i do not understand those technical terms (only vaguely), though i do understand your point for 2 ram chips. However, the http://hardocp.com/article/2015/08/0...ocking_review/ review, both inside and on the conclusions states that with Skylake, the higher the memory frequencies, the better the results (tests were also run with DDR4 memory underclocked to 1866 MHz for comparison). It also recommends as minimum the 16GB (4x4) 2666 MHz memories (see conclusions). Any comments?

As for the Skylake decision, my initial choice was the I7-4790K, but Kostattoo changed my mind, given i plan to keep this sytem for a long time. My GPU choice is the 980Ti, because of 6GB memory, which will also last me for a long time. Memory will be 32GB because i say i need it (i do not want to see a swap file EVER in my life) and because i work with many programs simultaneously. I understand your suggestions, but on the amount of memory nothing will sway me. And i will not feed the trolls anymore (not referring to you, Animalhouse).
    Sounds like you are on the right track. Read those reviews for every piece of hardware ESPECIALLY the negative ones to see a trend.
    I know very little about the Skylake series and am ignorant about DDR4. My RAM recommendations are just for the Haswell architecture. Read multiple sources just to verify consensus (I am sure you will). The SSD you got there looks just fine. I run a PNY and my computer loads in 10 secs. I will replace it with a Samsung 1 TB+ eventually. I rock 7TB of total storage in my rig with a WDMYCLOUD NAS for plex streaming movies for the whole house. Great selection with the 980ti, My computer is just for the living room and connects to the big screen so I went with the 970, nothing drops it below 60fps on ultra at 1080p. I had it in my mind that I would go with 32gb myself as I run a WoW emulator for 3.3.5a WoTLK for my kids. They just love my custom server that dings them to 80 with 200k gold for the mall I have on GM Island . Kids...they will never understand the grind >.>. I settled on the 1866mhz cas10 16gb and even the buggy memory leaking GTA 5 does not cause an issue...don't get me going about the GTA 5 memory leak, I can prove it but nobody will acknowledge it. 32gb will at least give you piece of mind for the next several years. Honestly RAM at a certain point does not make a noticeable improvement so all this min maxing is really only for OC competitions.
    Last edited by Animalhouse; 2015-10-01 at 10:20 PM.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”