Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lawyer says freed Guantanamo prisoner wants independent UK inquiry

http://globalnews.ca/news/2311139/la...nt-uk-inquiry/

LONDON – A lawyer says newly freed Guantanamo Bay prisoner Shaker Aamer wants an independent inquiry to examine whether British officials played a role in his treatment.

Human rights lawyer Clive Stafford-Smith told BBC on Saturday that Aamer wants “the whole world” to know what happened to him so rules can be enacted to keep others from facing torture. His lawyers say he was tortured and kept in isolation for extended periods.

Aamer arrived in Britain on Friday after spending nearly 14 years as a prisoner at the U.S. facility in Cuba. He was never charged with a crime.

He is being treated in a British hospital and reuniting with his family.

Aamer, 48, is a citizen of Saudi Arabia but a resident of Britain. British officials had lobbied for his release.

15+ Year Old Account
    What kind of jurisdiction he thinks the British have to investigate Guantanamo Bay?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    14 years as a prisoner...He was never charged with a crime.
    Wonderful how that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Wonderful how that works.
    Sometimes its warranted and should even go farther. A couple other dudes had the same treatment, one of them goes by the name Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. He was interned without charges for a few years until they recommended him for release as a non-threat.

He is the current leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    What kind of jurisdiction he thinks the British have to investigate Guantanamo Bay?
    None, but think of the impact on the world opinion if the UK judicial system say X are not a terrorist but a innocent victim.... and US did keep him in imprisoned 14 year....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It says he wants an inquiry into "...whether British officials played a role in his treatment."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Sometimes its warranted and should even go farther.
    Why not import the method to mainland US, and jail you becuse you potentially could be the next Timothy McVeigh......after 14 year behind bars I am sure you hate the goverment and that justify the imprisonment.....

Sometimes its warranted and should even go farther. A couple other dudes had the same treatment, one of them goes by the name Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. He was interned without charges for a few years until they recommended him for release as a non-threat.

Chicken and the egg tho. Without the extended and as stated "unwarranted" detainment, would he have acquired the resentment and credibility required for his current position ?

Is the possibility that someone MIGHT do something bad in the future enough reason to keep them imprisoned indefinitely without cause in the present ?

Should Nelson Mandela never have been released ?

You think that's an argument in favor of just rounding up people and throwing them in a prison? Careful that they don't thank you for it:
    They had also been terrified of Bucca, but quickly realised that far from their worst fears, the US-run prison provided an extraordinary opportunity. “We could never have all got together like this in Baghdad, or anywhere else,” he told me. “It would have been impossibly dangerous. Here, we were not only safe, but we were only a few hundred metres away from the entire al-Qaida leadership.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-inside-story

Making enemies out of people who might have otherwise ended up being nobodies because you thought you were better than them and that they didn't deserve the same rights you enjoyed...well...how is that possibly going to end well?

Well the Military figured this out years ago: take fewer prisoners.

Whereas in the early 2000s there was GITMO, Bagram, and Black Sites, since the, with the rise of drones particularly, the military just killed them. Some analysts have remarked about how in Iraq and Afghanistan, this lead to a dearth of intelligence sources (on account of being dead). I find it incredibly ironic political discontent over detainment practices (which remain popular in the US regardless, despite their international unpopularity) lead to an "even worse" alternative being selective.

The lesson of Guantanamo is simply "don't build something like Guantanamo... via drones or something like Bagram, do it differently".

As for what should we do about Guantanamo now? Close it. Send the rest of the detainees to Fort Leavenworth. Give them fair trials, execute them, and throw their ashes into the incinerator and forget about another post 9/11 mistake.

As for this guy, give him a million dollars and forget about him too. Seriously, who cares, besides lawfare waging human rights crusaders too political and weak to go after the hard targets (China) and instead go after the easy ones (African countries, the West's occasional screw up). A decade of Guantanamo, and few Americans care about it, few Americans feel bad about it, and it's pretty much sole proponent for closing it is Obama, who wants it only because his most liberal base demands it.

Last edited by Skroe; 2015-11-01 at 11:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

When torture is common practise you shouldn't be surprised people get pissed.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Why would you want a UK inquiry into anything? We just bounce around wasting time for years and then when it's actual already for release we either get bullied by the US into not releasing it or it gets pushed back "because it might be unfair to Labour in the run up to an election".

I wouldn't have let him out of prison, I would have kept him in there forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I wouldn't have let him out of prison, I would have kept him in there forever.
    If I had my way I'd lock you up forever too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    If I had my way I'd lock you up forever too.
    I would lock you up forever in the same cell as I locked him up in.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    -snip-
    Yes I was watching a political discussion a few months ago and the show had on a Clinton admin Defense dept official and a Bush admin Defense dept official.

They both said that they were concerned about the loss of intelligence gathering in the middle east and summed up the situation currently in operations there as "We think they may be planning something unfortunate; what are our orders?" "Response: send in a drone."

There is very little due diligence in finding out the full measure of any extremist plans. The main worry that was brought up was that with kill-by-drone orders we are killing a great number of the grunts and maybe even the middle men however we will get few of the higher leaders and we may not be able to stop large scale and complex attacks regarding multiple terrorist cells.

We are killing the extremists cell by cell instead of going after the network of the organization as a whole.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

I would lock you up forever in the same cell as I locked him up in.
    How will you do that after he's locked you up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Got to love liberals that think they picked these terrorists up on the side of the road for no reason at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Why not import the method to mainland US, and jail you becuse you potentially could be the next Timothy McVeigh......after 14 year behind bars I am sure you hate the goverment and that justify the imprisonment.....
    That is stupid, stop being stupid. These are terrorists that should have been executed without a trial. USA is too weak to remain the sole super power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post

Should Nelson Mandela never have been released ?
    If you know anything about the man you know he should have been executed for all the crimes he and his group committed. Read a fucking history book omg/.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    If they locked me up for no reason over 14 years, I'd create an extremist army too.
    no you wouldnt cause yous a bitch that talks tough on mmoc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    When torture is common practise you shouldn't be surprised people get pissed.
    what is common practice? and please spell the american way when using the internet, thank you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    no you wouldnt cause yous a bitch that talks tough on mmoc

what is common practice? and please spell the american way when using the internet, thank you.
    Thank you for that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Just to put in perspective how much of his life this guy has lost. He has a 13 year old son that he has never seen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-14-years.html