Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    I'm very much against legalising this drug outside of medical usage.
    Why?
    But a part of me wants it legalised just to see the outcome, if it does more good than harm then gg, I concede, but if it is a total fuck up then hopefully it will end this nonsense once and for all and everyone can agree to just keep it illegal.
    You have a growing number of states that have already legalized. Colorado has had it legalized for a few years now and there isn't much negative about it.
    As of right now, people are just throwing "it could to this" "it will reduce that" we don't actually know what impact legalising it will have. I'd legalise it, give it time and if it is a total mess I will make it illegal once more, if not then meh, I guess I will just have to wallow in my minorityness
    What impact are you talking about? States like Colorado have seen 10's of millions of dollars in extra tax revenue, reduced crime, more jobs, etc.

So pretty soon they'll be round on the outside and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Again cops are still going to be involved. They won't be stopping most people for possession, but if someone gets in trouble for something else and also happens to be in possession questions will be raised and things will have to be looked into. Lets also not forget it is only going be legal for adults, which means they will be stopping those under 21 for possession and dealing with cases involving little Timmy getting into his neighbors stash etc.. The cops are still going to have to deal with this so no it isn't going to be a hands off revenue stream for Ohio to use exclusively on others things like heroin.
    So your assertion about it being a problem because they have to divine the provenance of the pot is bullshit (this was your original argument remember).

Just because someone was in possession while committing a crime doesn't raise a question. Things don't need to get looked into. That's the whole point of it being legal. It would be like running a bookie while having a bottle of whiskey in your drawer. The police don't give a shit about that bottle. You're just trying to invent things while not understanding what legalization actually means.

The youth comparison is the exact same thing for alcohol. Except that it's currently harder to get alcohol as an average kid than it is to get marijuana. Go figure, by having legal drugs cheaper you push out non-regulated sellers. If you regulate who the sellers can sell to it becomes harder for kids to get it. The amount of resources expended by confiscating drugs from young users is laughable compared to the resources currently devoted to busting drug distribution.

I'm not even registered to vote, nor do I use marijuana, but this is almost tempting enough to vote for.

Hope it passes. The statistics of other states that have legalized it are overwhelmingly positive, and the war on drugs is a nasty business.

Please legalize it Ohio!

I'm sick of so many people moving to my home state of Colorado and driving up rents.

I hope the whole country legalizes it soon.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason that matters in the end is that marijuana prohibition is both undemocratic and unamerican and reeks of a police state. That kind of shit might have flown with the cold war paranoid generation but not anymore.

Today is the day people in Ohio! You guys better get out there and end Prohibition!

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I don't want marijuana legalized to begin with. Having it shoved in my face multiple times a day for the past few months just made me absolutely certain of my decision.
    you're allowed your opinion, but it'd be nice if you made an informed decision rather than act on reflex.

there's a lot more to it than just fliers on your car windshield, don't be an ignoramus

edit: it's also worth noting why cannabis is illegal in the first place:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-google-answer
    <insert witty signature here>

Well I must say I'm rather shocked. Ohio said no by a large margin.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ohioans reject legalizing marijuana

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...marijuana.html

Ohioans pushed a monopoly marijuana-legalization proposal out the door Tuesday by a nearly 2-to-1 vote.

But the question is, will pot make a comeback?

Although Issue 3 was handily defeated, the debate and conversations about the issue have convinced House Speaker Cliff Rosenberg, R-Clarksville, and other state lawmakers who were staunchly opposed to legalization to now say it may be time to move ahead with medical marijuana.

“After going through this process, myself and many of my colleagues realize there’s tremendous support for medical marijuana and something we should have a bigger discussion about,” said Rep. Ryan Smith, R-Bidwell, a leader in the House.

That could be in the form of a pilot program or some other narrowly written legislation, Smith said. He noted that Rep. Wes Retherford, R-Hamilton, already has proposed a medical marijuana bill.

“In talking to people, it was surprising to me how many said they support medical marijuana,” Smith said. “We obviously want to help the parents with children that are ill and the elderly that are suffering. We just want to make sure the scientists tell us it will help and we write it in a responsible way.”

Some advocates were already talking about another ballot issue in 2016 even as ResponsibleOhio backers were stinging from a sound thrashing at the ballot box after spending an estimated $25 million on the campaign. The issue appeared headed to defeat in all 88 counties, according to incomplete results from Husted’s office.

“At a time when too many families are being torn apart by drug abuse, Ohioans said no to easy access to drugs and instead chose a path that helps strengthen our families and communities,” said Gov. John Kasich in a statement. He and the other four statewide, non-judicial officeholders opposed legalization.

Curt Steiner, campaign director for Ohioans Against Marijuana Monopolies, said, “Never underestimate the wisdom of Ohio voters. They saw through the smokescreen of slick ads, fancy but deceptive mailings, phony claims about tax revenues and, of course, Buddie the marijuana mascot.” Steiner’s group expected to spend about $2.5 million on the campaign.

Ian James, executive director of ResponsibleOhio, the group backing Issue 3, said he and supporters will begin a new marijuana campaign immediately.

“Life and legalization are a journey. We have taken the initial steps here to bring legalization here to Ohio. We have always said we will listen to the voters. We trust the voters. The voters said clearly they did not like this plan,” James said. “While we’re disappointed, we will start a new conversation tomorrow.”

James said he expects many of the funders who joined ResponsibleOhio to remain on board for Round 2.

Companion State Issue 2, an amendment hurriedly proposed by state lawmakers to make it more difficult for special economic interests, like ResponsibleOhio, to amend the Ohio Constitution in the future, didn’t have universal support. There was considerable confusion about the issue and it lost in several counties, including Athens, Ashtabula, Hocking, Pike and Preble. The fate of Issue 2, while important for the future, is irrelevant in this election with Issue 3 losing.

When implemented, Issue 2 will require supporters of monopolies, oligopolies and cartels to secure voter approval twice at the same election — once to exempt the issue from the monopoly ban and a second time for the proposal itself.

Tuesday night’s vote-counting process was set back 90 minutes when ResponsibleOhio went to court complaining that problems with electronic poll books at some Hamilton County polling places caused voting delays. Common Pleas Court Judge Robert Ruehlman ordered polls there to stay open until 9 p.m. instead of closing at the normal time of 7:30.

Husted subsequently told boards of election not to release statewide issue totals until polls closed in Hamilton County.

Issue 3 would have legalized marijuana for recreational smoking and in edible form for Ohioans 21 or older, and in medicinal form for those of any age with qualifying medical conditions. Commercial growth was to be controlled for at least the first four years by investment groups at 10 specified locations around the state.

A core of about two dozen wealthy investors, including former NBA star Oscar Robertson, two descendents of President William Howard Taft, and boy-band member Nick Lachey, contributed about $25 million to the Issue 3 campaign.
    Bolded will make future votes for legalization more difficult.
    Last edited by ezgeze; 2015-11-04 at 06:36 AM.

I don't smoke marijuana. I used to be against legalization... but now I just see that really... the societal harm of marijuana far outweighs the societal harm of the prohibition of marijuana. Just fuckin legalize marijuana already.

Ohio doesn't like money I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I think the main reason they voted it down was due to the fact that attached to the passing of it bill was a monopoly on the supplier end. All state sales would have been supplied by 10 vendors making them all extremely rich and I think that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I think the main reason they voted it down was due to the fact that attached to the passing of it bill was a monopoly on the supplier end. All state sales would have been supplied by 10 vendors making them all extremely rich and I think that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
    Yeah that would do it.

I mean... with the Trudeau majority in Canada, like i said.. I don't smoke the stuff... especially with anecdotal evidence of it triggering schizophrenia (which runs in my family) but if it was legalized, and if any supplier was legit, I'd totally plant some primo bud in my back yard for the money.

Ohio seems to have voted no and specifically seems to have voted no because a small coalition of growers tried to write themselves into the amendment as the only legal in-state supply. lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Our state budget is like $36 billion. The tax on weed would only be like $100 million if it had similar pricing and consumption rates as Colorado... That is nothing. The recent budget that was passed cut $1.7 billion in taxes (revenues) over the next two years, to put how insignificant that is in perspective.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Actually, according to states like Colorado, any taxes generated from legalization of marijuana has been..........shockingly, a wash.
    https://webcom.colostate.edu/colorad...udy-final2.pdf

4. marijuana tax revenues may not cover the incremental state expenditures related to legalization.
    After meeting the obligations for BEST and funding the regulatory and other public health and safety budget demand, revenue from marijuana taxes will contribute little or nothing to the state's general fund.
    Last edited by ezgeze; 2015-11-04 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    Actually, according to states like Colorado, any taxes generated from legalization of marijuana has been..........shockingly, a wash.
    https://webcom.colostate.edu/colorad...udy-final2.pdf
    130 million in tax revenues is enough to build a few bridges, or a few schools.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    130 million in tax revenues is enough to build a few bridges, or a few schools.
    to which I linked a quote from the report......
    4. marijuana tax revenues may not cover the incremental state expenditures related to legalization.
    You cant spend the same dollar twice.

I suggest reading
    http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...ld-just-say-no

Its a pretty thorough rundown of some pro's and cons

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have anything against with the legalization of marijuana but when I come across people that obsess over the drug and it's all they talk about;

It should have passed though. (opinion)
    Last edited by Crackleslap; 2015-11-04 at 07:29 AM.