Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Panic on the streets of London

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/l...n-live-updates

Thousands of protesters are expected to gather in Trafalgar Square tonight, with Westminster the focus for the now annual Million Mask March, a worldwide event on Bonfire night that is organised through the Anonymous hackers’ collective.

So far about 18,000 people indicated on Facebook that they plan to attend the demonstration, where protesters don Guy Fawkes masks in an effort to recreate the closing scenes of the cult comic book-cum-movie V For Vendetta.

Tonight’s demonstration is expected to focus on proposals to increase powers of the security services. It comes a day after the government published a new bill seen as a revived snooper’s charter. Under the plans, internet companies will be required to store details of every website visited by their customers for 12 months.

Previous years have seen fireworks fired at the Buckingham Palace and the Palace of Westminster, as well as arrests and clashes with riot police. Tonight, Scotland Yard is to deploy thousands of extra police officers and impose tough public order restrictions over fears that the protest will again turn violent.
    People posting to the page have so far given me a range of reasons why they intend to protest, ranging from alleged VIP paedophile rings in Westminster, to poverty, the environment and Article 25 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    (...)
    I called out on the Million Mask March London Facebook page asking people for the reasons why they were attending. Setting aside the bunfight over mainstream media, the most articulate and complete response came from Keith Brady. He said:

"I won’t be attending, but you want reasons? Jobs are down, educational standards are down, industry is down, public and national services are down, everything’s being sold off, taxes are being increased or diverted elsewhere and investments in infrastructure are being reduced to practically nothing by the greedy ba*ds the people who attend are there to protest too. Even the poverty stricken unemployed, who are stuggling to live on benefits they are often sanctioned on, still pay taxes on products we buy to survive with, so why is it being claimed they’re such a massive drain? Answer the question why NOT march? It’s much tougher to answer"
    While a number of the reasons given are entirely legitimate reasons to protest, this whole thing seems too incoherent and vague (shades of OWS). If anything it'll probably end up being counter-productive, giving the Government an excuse to crack down harder on protests, especially those organized online by beefing up the Snoopers Charter (and probably banning anonymous masks for good measure).

Interesting to see if a riot breaks out and there is looting.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Good on them for showing organized dissent. Hope it doesn't turn violent though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Interesting to see if a riot breaks out and there is looting.
    Should make for a interesting story if that happens

So they are going to riot and perhaps a protest will break out. Get the water cannons ready and fill them with frozen water.

10+ Year Old Account
    cinfused in why Guy Fawkes for the masks though. I mean, he did try to overthrow to get a Catholic back in...(so not really pro freedom or anarchy or anything)

7+ Year Old Account
    Are these protesters serious people who contribute a lot to society? Or are they more of the hooligan type?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    confused in why Guy Fawkes for the masks though. I mean, he did try to overthrow to get a Catholic back in...(so not really pro freedom or anarchy or anything)
    Its the symbol of anonymous
    Thats why a lot of people wear it

15+ Year Old Account
    cinfused in why Guy Fawkes for the masks though. I mean, he did try to overthrow to get a Catholic back in...(so not really pro freedom or anarchy or anything)
    Yeah, doesn't really make much sense, but it's probably more about his legend.

"The only man ever to enter parliament with honest intentions"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Its the symbol of anonymous
    Thats why a lot of people wear it
    But considering anon typical goals, why choose someone who wanted to put in his own tyrant?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Are these protesters serious people who contribute a lot to society? Or are they more of the hooligan type?
    Distaste for the current government is pretty widespread across a lot of demographics.

7+ Year Old Account
    But considering anon typical goals, why choose someone who wanted to put in his own tyrant?
    I dont really know too much about guy fawkes but wasn't he trying to fight oppression or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont really know too much about guy fawkes but wasn't he trying to fight oppression or something?
    What I read, he just wanted a Catholic back in power

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    People who have to get up early for work tomorrow are unlikely to be there, I will leave it at that.

- - - Updated - - -

No, he wanted to murder protestants to put catholics in power.

Peaceful demonstrations are always welcome, but if we see a repeat of the London Riots the police need to get far more control then they did last time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sound pretty nice to me.

Oops I read that as picnic. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    So they are going to riot and perhaps a protest will break out. Get the water cannons ready and fill them with frozen water.
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-england-wales
    Home secretary says police ‘will never’ deploy military-style equipment on the streets after rejecting request for use of water cannon
    Well, V for Vendetta is influencing it as well, since they broadened the idea to be mainly just 'Revolution' or overthrowing the established order. It's also kind of symbolic as it's seen as a threat to Parliament (to this day, Parliament still has a tradition of checking the cellars for Gunpowder, they love symbolism).

Quote Originally Posted by Fyve View Post
    Peaceful demonstrations are always welcome, but if we see a repeat of the London Riots the police need to get far more control then they did last time.
    I don't think there are enough people to replicate that.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was a religious terrorist, like a Catholic version of ISIS.

He even had a beard and funny hat, lacked the talent for beheading though.

If you consider a non-catholic king being on the throne "oppression" then yes.

He wanted to put a catholic king on the throne by force, and he wanted to murder about 400 people in what would probably still be the biggest terrorist attack on UK soil.

All these people praising somebody that was no better than anybody that is in the top brass of Al'Qaida or ISIS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems some windows have been smashed and a police car burned. Will be interesting to see where else they take it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis