Thread: Cheap people

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    You don't get rich, nor stay rich by being frivolous with your money.
    The part about getting rich is certainly not true you can get rich by sheer luck by investing on a stock or buying a winning lotto ticket, but yeah retaining the wealth is always difficult to do with irresponsible spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Because...Not everyone actually pays back. I know this from experience. Sometimes not small sums either.
    So, nope. I would not lend again. I'd either give a sum away willingly, or not at all.
    this... unless we so damn close i have a key to your place (if then).. idon't pay anymore. If all the people that said i'd pay you back paid me back at once i'd have influx of around 20k USD.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Cheap people are the worst, it's why I don't call them my friends, you should do the same.

E: Likewise for people who don't pay you back, stop calling them friends. It doesn't have to be literally the same amount of money, a little present works as well (usually even better imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Seditian View Post
    Cheap people are the worst, it's why I don't call them my friends, you should do the same.
    How about that moment when someone pulls out their phone's calculator app to determine what everyone owes on a tab?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Is there anyone else that really, really hates cheap people? Why are they even doing this shit?
    Some people have a steadfast rule that they won't help a drowning friend with a new floaty.

If this was less than 100$, i would have to re-evaluate my friendship with that person.
    If it was more, then... ehhhh... i dunno. probably give them a pass on it.

Mostly because i would not give a second thought about helping someone out like that, and i would rather be friends with those who would also not give a second thought to helping out someone like that.

If she did not value your friendship enough to make such a small (temporary or not) sacrifice then why are you friends?

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    this... unless we so damn close i have a key to your place (if then).. idon't pay anymore. If all the people that said i'd pay you back paid me back at once i'd have influx of around 20k USD.
    Doing it wrong. Use your leverage, if any.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm extremely generous with friends when I have money. If I have Money and they need something within reason I will just pay for it. Depending on the price sometimes I don't even care if they pay it back. Things under like $50 are meh.

I never expect anything back unless they specifically say "I will pay you back" unless it is a big amount. Lent one of my friends $2000 one day because he needed it, A year later he handed me a wad of cash which was $2000 which I had forgotten by that time. Was an "oh thanks dude, forgot all about it" moment.

Cheap people are the worst, the only time I will turn down a friend is when i literally only have money left over to pay for bills, if my Bills are paid i'm fine with it.

It depends on the amount, but I would probably not do so too. Just because most of the time (especially with bigger amounts of cash) "i'll pay you back later" means "never". And some people will even be upset that you ask for your money some time later. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Next time know you have money on your card before shopping. Adulthood 101.

I wouldnt borrow a dime to any friend or family i have.

I'd give them a kidney if they needed one, but not money.
    You talk about kidney when you wouldn't borrow a dime ? How dumb are you ? I'm curious who taught you about Adulthood 101 because there is only one thing in Adulthood 101. Family. DOn't forget family is all you've got. About friends you might be right, there is no things like friends. Its just family or people. Friends are temporary thats why you have to play your game (life) very carefuly and im talking about trust wich involves friends. I know there might be families who you can't trust or are so bad you wouldn't borrow a dime to them. But thats not your true family, its up to you if you have a little respect for them depending on the situation. Your true family is the one you build and work for. That includes you and the ones you LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    We are talking about lending money. That is a 100% clearly defined term. If you do not expect your money back, it's not lending but giving. And your mental considerations are absolutely meaningless.

You realize what kind of nonsense you just said? You can't just twist definitions of basic words, that's not how language works...
    There is no inconsistency here, you're just missing the what I thought was obvious subtext.
    It may not have been - my apologies. I shall take this slower.

The quote is suggesting that the moment you seek to reclaim that loan, it's going to make a friendship sour.

To avoid that sour-ness, you have two options, usually applied on a per case basis.
    1) Never reclaim the lent-out money.
    2) Do not lend money out in the first place.

By following the first path, I expect that the money will be lost. Thus I mentally consider it a gift, while social etiquette demands me to keep pretending it is a loan. I attempt to forget the loan ever happened. If I see the money again, awesome, but if I don't, then so be it. All part of the cost of being in a social relationship with the person in question. All social links have some cost to them. It's a question of what you are willing to pay.

By following the second path I avoid the problem with losing money, but I run the risk of having people labelling themselves as my friends call me names online. Maybe I didn't really lose too much by this option, but I may obviously end up more lonely.

Feel free to call my mental guidelines meaningless. My view on this topic is definitively my view. My point, again this subtext thing which might not be obvious, was that people may have their own reasons for not lending out money, reasons for example may be similar or different to mine. But people have their principles on this subject. Expecting others to break those principles to meet your expectations is not fair.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Someone I know went full retard about money earlier, she's got a pretty good pay, I know she's got quite a lot of money saved away as well and I forgot to transfer money to my card, so I didn't have any money on my card when I was trying to pay at the store, so asked if she could pay this time.

Nope, she couldn't pay. She's got money on her card, but not paying for this time. Nope, she doesn't have the money to do that. Said I could transfer the money to her when we get back home. Nope, she didn't want to pay even then.

What the hell is it with some people? They've got money but still can't do something like that when others do it for them? Like, what the hell. And then to continue refusing to pay even though she'd get it back when we get back home.

Is there anyone else that really, really hates cheap people? Why are they even doing this shit?
    Friends never lend friends money, I lent a really good friend 1500 dollars to fix his car so he could get back and forth to college, he dropped out a month before he graduated and he always brings up he promises to pay me back. That was 13 years ago.

Deleted
    I have loaned shittons of money to loads of people.
    Never got paid back by a few and they are no longer friends, lost a good couple of grand by doing this over the years.

Some people lose trust in others when that happens, I just don't care about money so I don't.

Deleted
    If they wouldn't even do it despite you promising to pay them back it ain't about beeing cheap it's about not trusting you to keep your promise.
    That's why you don't lend money to friends.
    "Never expect a loan to a friend to be paid back if you want to keep that friend."
    Yes, exactly that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    To avoid that sour-ness, you have two options, usually applied on a per case basis.
    1) Never reclaim the lent-out money.
    2) Do not lend money out in the first place.
    Missed

3) I don't ever expect to be paid, I'm doing this because I like you, and
    4) I expect the same treatment in the future from you.

That's friendship.

I'd ask her for the money. If she gets mad and you lose a friend, she wasn't much of a friend in the first place. She knows you're not rich.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, me and most of my friends do that all the time. On your way too meet people and stopping by store? Ask if anyone else there needs something. Going to the bar to buy another coffee or beer? Ask if anyone else wants one. Someone doesn't have money with them and suddenly need some? No worries.

We do keep tabs though, but since everyone makes up for it in the end, it makes things a lot easier.

I understand not wanting to lend to people you don't know well, getting it back could be a lot of hassle, but to friends? Don't see a reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I understand not wanting to lend to people you don't know well, getting it back could be a lot of hassle, but to friends? Don't see a reason not to.
    Because the amount is likely not to come back. Had too many experiences with that. If I was the person described in the OP, depending on the amount, I would have just paid, and said to forget about it, but lending I don't do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Because the amount is likely not to come back. Had too many experiences with that. If I was the person described in the OP, depending on the amount, I would have just paid, and said to forget about it, but lending I don't do.
    I've never lent money to a friend and not have it be payed back without hassle. Guess it depends on your friends though, if you know that a certain friend won't pay back then yeah don't loan them money, but is that really the norm among them?

Eh...I learned a long time ago that I was too gullible when it came to "loaning" people money because I got burned one too many times, so I don't do it anymore. Outside of immediate family members and a few really close friends I've known for the last 15 years, I don't do loans. And those family members/friends are people who don't really have to pay me back.

If I had it to do over again, one thing I'd change about myself from my younger days is how gullible I used to be when it came to trusting people I barely knew.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.