Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pastor and family charged with killing man who tried to leave their church for good

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ew-york-church
    The pastor of an insular New York church was one of seven people charged on Tuesday with the murder of a young man who wanted to leave the congregation and the assault of his brother.

Lucas Leonard, 19, was beaten to death in October over 10 hours during a “spiritual counselling” session at the Word of Life Church in the town of Chadwicks, New York State.

His brother, Christopher, 17, received blunt force injuries when he was repeatedly struck during the same session, which was being held because Lucas Leonard wanted to leave the congregation, prosecutors said.

Pastor Tiffanie Irwin, her mother, Traci Irwin, as well as her two brothers, Joseph and Daniel Irwin, were charged in a 13-count indictment.
    WTF? What a horrible way to die...
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2015-11-25 at 08:26 PM.

I thought Christians were good god fearing people who never did anything wrong. Guess the image they portray about other religions indeed applies to them as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

executed for attempted apostasy?
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

I guess we'll hear every Christian everywhere apologizing for and denouncing them. Oh wait, we won't, because that's a ridiculous expectation of any religion.

15+ Year Old Account
    The church property — valued at $210,843, and sitting on 1.86 acres — is tax-exempt as a religious organization, according to a 2015 assessment roll.
    NYT
    Wonder if that will change. Might as well dismantle the church if the pastor in charge go killing people with his fellow church members.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

That's unfortunate. Anything else to say?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

How... how can... I don't understand... Seriously?

How can people do this... I feel bad if I make an animal feel slight pain on accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I guess we'll hear every Christian everywhere apologizing for and denouncing them. Oh wait, we won't, because that's a ridiculous expectation of any religion.
    no doubt we'll hear plenty of people saying this has nothing to do with christianity or religion, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    no doubt we'll hear plenty of people saying this has nothing to do with christianity or religion, as well.
    It doesn't. Lots of types of Christians. They're just people like everyone else. Some are assholes are find beliefs that justify being assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    The same people who say all of a group is responsible for some crazies as well!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just want to point out that Jesus told the world that the most important commandment is:

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

These people obviously didn't have that part down, and therefore evidently weren't Christians.

To clarify, going to a church regularly doesn't make you a Christian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those people aren't christians. They're businessmen that run a scheme cult to control people's minds and get rich doing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    So they spread violence hiding behind the word of god, their Christian god and they are not Christians?
    At the same time the call for terrorists misusing Islam in the same manner are muslims.
    (Going by this forum)

I for one take pride in labeling both of the above as a product of religion, hiding behind it but still a product of their different religion.
    Neither Christians or Muslims gets a free cop out from me.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    Should ban Christianity!
    Should ban all religions.
    Because of them we have the fucked up world we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    The same people who say all of a group is responsible for some crazies as well!
    Yes, the entire group is responsible. Christianity should be abolished, and so should Islam. Imagine liberating that many minds from this irrationality that infects nearly half of the planet's population.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    Who would guess that large groups of people, believing in things that would be considered schizophrenic outside the contexts of religion, would result in bad things.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Because if there was never religion, humans would have never devised different reasons to do horrible things. That's an adorable thought.

We're a nasty, cruel species. We'll find an excuse. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    It doesn't. Lots of types of Christians. They're just people like everyone else. Some are assholes are find beliefs that justify being assholes.
    i didn't say "christians", i said "christianity or religion". and such does have something to do with it, as it's informs and provides context to how the entire event unfolded.

Alternatively, maybe people are responsible for their own actions, regardless of what their favorite book is.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we can all agree that this thread will devolve in to Christians vs Atheists vs Jihadist apologists in 3....2.....1....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Alternatively, maybe people are responsible for their own actions, regardless of what their favorite book is.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we can all agree that this thread will devolve in to Christians vs Atheists vs Jihadist apologists in 3....2.....1....
    Could we also start being secular and remove tax exempt, or as in my country federal funding if applied for, for religious institutions.
    One thing to tolerate religion, another thing to actively support it.