Secondary Monitor Problem

Recently (Like this week) my second monitor for some reason doesn't immediatly boot up with the other one, instead the light signifying whether it is on or not blinks for a few minutes then the monitor itself turns on. It even seems to be in a confused state if that is the right word, since I cant actually shut it off when it is doing this. I got a new computer about a month or so ago, but this only recently started this week, has been running fine since then. My main monitor is an asus and my secondary is Acer (The problem monitor).

Now it actually appears to not be turning on at all.

Any thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does your graphics card still recognise both screens? If that's the case, it could be the monitor's power or HDMI/VGA/DVI cable messing up.
    Try different cables if you have them lying around.

I recently had trouble with a cable no longer being able to transmit the Green colors, and not even the Red and Blue together, so all I was getting was either blue or red colours. Swapped the cable, and presto! Solved.

Quote Originally Posted by zubaja View Post
    Does your graphics card still recognise both screens? If that's the case, it could be the monitor's power or HDMI/VGA/DVI cable messing up.
    Try different cables if you have them lying around.

I recently had trouble with a cable no longer being able to transmit the Green colors, and not even the Red and Blue together, so all I was getting was either blue or red colours. Swapped the cable, and presto! Solved.
    How would I go about checking if the graphics card still recognizes it?

Unfortunately I don't have cables around here, but can get some relatively soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    How would I go about checking if the graphics card still recognizes it?

Unfortunately I don't have cables around here, but can get some relatively soon.
    Depends on version of Windows, but if you right click your desktop and go to screen resolution or display settings or something like that it should show you a list of attached monitors you can choose from.

Alternatively, you can go into catalyst control center or GeForce Experience and look there.

Also, try using the cable from the monitor that does work on the monitor that does not. Also try using different ports on your GPU to rule out the unlikely issue it is the port itself causing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Depends on version of Windows, but if you right click your desktop and go to screen resolution or display settings or something like that it should show you a list of attached monitors you can choose from.

Alternatively, you can go into catalyst control center or GeForce Experience and look there.

Also, try using the cable from the monitor that does work on the monitor that does not. Also try using different ports on your GPU to rule out the unlikely issue it is the port itself causing issues.
    Ok ill check the monitor through one of those. Unfortunately the cord to new monitor and to the old one are different (HDMI vs DVI on the oldish one), so I cant try switching cords.

Edit: It did not detect another display. Switching ports also didn't change anything. I am guessing something in the monitor broke and now it cant be recognized.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2015-11-18 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    Ok ill check the monitor through one of those. Unfortunately the cord to new monitor and to the old one are different (HDMI vs DVI on the oldish one), so I cant try switching cords.

Edit: It did not detect another display. Switching ports also didn't change anything. I am guessing something in the monitor broke and now it cant be recognized.
    Last thing to try then would be hooking the monitor up to another PC if possible, just to be certain. It does sound like the monitor may have pooped though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Last thing to try then would be hooking the monitor up to another PC if possible, just to be certain. It does sound like the monitor may have pooped though.
    Yea, I'll be driving to my familys house for thanksgiving next week and can try it then. If not hopefully will be able to score a good black friday deal on a good monitor somewhere. (If anyone knows of any online let me know!)

Thank you everyone for your help.