Idle Temperatures way exceeding normal.

I have a GTX 970 and for a month or so since getting it idle temperatures were running at 30-35c, but today it shot up to around 60. After messing around I got it down to 40 or so but thats with the fan running where before without the fan it sat at the 35 range. The only thing changed was I took out a defective second monitor today, although I am not sure if it was running around there before I did this I just noticed today. Fan is idling around 1000 rpm, GPU clock says 1189 on precision x. and voltage is at 1006mv. Not sure what could have happened, but if anyone has any adivce or ideas I would appreciate them.

If you need any more information just let me know.

NVIDIA GPUs won't clock down if they need to drive very high resolutions or refresh rates. While taking out the old monitor, did you add a new one or change resolution/refresh rate of the remaining ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    NVIDIA GPUs won't clock down if they need to drive very high resolutions or refresh rates. While taking out the old monitor, did you add a new one or change resolution/refresh rate of the remaining ones?
    No to both of those questions. As of now I have moved the fan curve higher so that while idle it should run cooler, but this means the an is running on pretty high almost all the time which wasnt required before.