Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Recruiting Undergeared players

Do Guilds still do that?

When i played in a progress guild for a few years we always took players with shit gear if they had potential.

I recently came back to wow and it seems nobody does that anymore, even PUG groups are looking for gear this is ~20 ilvl above the Raid drops.

Deleted
    For the most part yes, just take a look at the Looking for Player forum to see 5/13 heroic players being snatched up by Mythic guilds on the chance they may work out. It's not that hard to gear someone up, but the risk is they either suck or leave.

In my own guild we have taken a few undergeared people, and aside from 1-2 who just stopped playing after a few weeks, they've turned out pretty well.

Pugs are obviously different and they always have been. They're not progression groups so want to get through the run as fast and as easy as possible, which means overgearing to make up for failed mechanics.

As long as you have something to offer (experience, availability, ...), any decent guild will take you. I never had a problem getting into good guilds even when I had just rerolled my shittiest alt.

Deleted
    Even without the legendary ring? Like im on stage 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post
    Even without the legendary ring? Like im on stage 2
    It only takes 2-3 resets to get to 715 ring if you do the catchup weekly in Tanaan and garrison missions each day assuming you do full raid runs each week, but they can be done in LFR.

We take undergeared people. It's trivial to gear them through HC runs and even the first 5 mythic bosses. We've taken a 694 person through the first 5 mythic bosses in 45 minutes and got him 11 ilevels in upgrades.

I can understand that people on high pop servers can be picky but we're on a "medium" (means low) pop realm so we try to find potential where we see it.

Guilds that aren't progressing won't give a shit if your previous credentials are in order.
    But you may have been applying to guilds that needs to fill in spots ASAP during progress; Taking in someone without the ring at 700 item level won't help them at all if they're on Manno/Archi. You'll just be dead weight for them to throw scraps at for the first 5-8 bosses, because all relevant gear will be prioritised towards the raiders who can actually contribute, and accepting you is going to take them weeks if not over a month to gear.

Deleted
    Only bad players would dismiss someone based on gear only. For instance a Method player that was in the world first kill is rerolling to level 1. Should you care his ilevel is 0?

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Only bad players would dismiss someone based on gear only. For instance a Method player that was in the world first kill is rerolling to level 1. Should you care his ilevel is 0?
    It's not really a judgement on the gear as much as it is in the time they'll have to invest in gearing said player.

Some people just don't want to run heroics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelraxx View Post
    It's not really a judgement on the gear as much as it is in the time they'll have to invest in gearing said player.

You may not have to gear them. For instance, Tier 18 is right now irrelevant for the top guilds. They can in certain cases just ignore not just the gearing, but even the levelling of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelraxx View Post

most of mythic guilds dont have nay other choice due to how bad turnover is this expansion on my server 10-11/13 mythic guidls are constantly recruiting dps with liek 700-710 itlv even though they have a small bench because they know that this expansion will still be up till septemeber and guild that is not constantly recruiting is a dead guild. ofc they wont take them to progress bosses but farm is a complete joke for them and they are desperate for fresh blood. people who are in 13/13 mythic guidl ofc wont see it as they are constantly flooded with apps but sooner or later it will hit them too in legion. cannibalizing coudl go only so far and is hitting higher and higher progressed guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    You saying this just goes to show that you've never been part of the recruiting team in any serious guild.

Put it this way - you rank the applicant on lets say, 4 points:

His current gear (1-5).
    His former experience (1-5).
    His logs (1-5).
    His availability (1-5).

So minimum of 4 points, max of 20. Anyone you offer a trial you'd want to have over say, 13-14 total points.
    So let's say we've got a returning player from a top-end guild. His score would be something like -

Gear: 1 (no legendary ring, 700 ilvl = not raided this tier).
    Experience: 5 (multiple top 50 kills previous tiers).
    Logs: 5 (stays above 75-90th percentile on most fights, hit priority targets rather than whores).
    Availability: 3 (Available all days, but can't be used for progress due to gear).

Giving him a total of 14 points, thus, give him a try.

Of course, this is all a very, very extreme way of putting it - I don't actually have a point system etc, but generally, this is the way you'd evaluate a potential trial. If you suck at one part (gear, in this case), you gotta make up for it in the other parts. Gear is a very big part of it when progressing; If I'm starting Mannoroth progress and want to recruit a warlock because having 2 to rotate cataclysms would simplify the encounter, I'm not going to go and accept a 700-ilvl warlock unless I can't find a good one with current gear. He'll be the last resort, as chances are he will not be ready to help us progress on the boss.

I've seen 13/13 M guilds taking in very low geared people for Legion. I can't tell if they have the merits to back them up but guilds are taking in lowered gear people atm. Especially if they aren't progressing anymore.

I'm a returning player, been in top 40 guilds for a substantial amount of time, had to quit raiding in WoD due to university, looking to get back into the game for Legion. If you know a guild that's willing to recruit me, I'd appreciate it

But yeah, I've not seen many guilds willing to recruit undergeared players. Even with proven past experience.
    Last edited by Eyechewer; 2015-11-22 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    I'm a returning player, been in top 40 guilds for a substantial amount of time, had to quit raiding in WoD due to university, looking to get back into the game for Legion. If you want a guild that's willing to recruit me, I'd appreciate it

But yeah, I've not seen many guilds willing to recruit undergeared players. Even with proven past experience.
    If they won't take you now just wait until the last months of WoD and you'd be able to get into almost any guild with a good enough application if you have good experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    A guild my alts are in didn't want to recruit undergeared tanks a month or two back. Since then they've had to pug tanks, have people play alts, or even reroll to an alt or offspec to tank. They cancelled a raid 2 days ago due to no tanks.

At the time they decided not to recruit the undergeared tank(s) they were only just (i think) into the upper half of Hellfire Citadel on normal

You're best bet is just keep looking around and try to get the best gear and experience you can, not all guilds are as stupid as the one above. It won't often fall in your lap overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    At the time they decided not to recruit the undergeared tank(s) they were only just (i think) into the upper half of Hellfire Citadel on normal
    rofl progressing normal and not wanting to gear up tanks, that's some ego for such crap progress xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    rofl progressing normal and not wanting to gear up tanks, that's some ego for such crap progress xD
    They kinda flip flop on it. They didn't want me raiding with them because I told some undergeared people they should try getting some Tanaan Baleful loot, and so I was being too elitist. Rather than use running BRF heroic for them some loot on a raid night (this was actually suggested), I said they'd be better forming a couple of groups of 5 and running the Apexis areas, or hell, Mythic dungeons. These were people already in the guild, I was told it would be a future investment. They killed Hellfire Assault on the second or third attempt, wiped on Iron Reaver a few times then called it a night. One of the "future investments" left the guild, another stopped raiding due to uni and the third hasn't been seen for a month or more.

Ironically one of these undergeared people a month or two after this event told people they couldn't join the raid team until they got a higher ilevel. That moment of hilarious hipocrasy caused at least one person to leave the guild.

People that are "established" can reroll of new alts that are shit geared because "that new class is better synergy", than the one that's 50 item levels higher. One guy changed from priest to hunter, then a week later they denied a shaman from joining the guild, because according to the hunter (previously priest) the shaman (and thus hunter) token already had too many people fighting for it.

Yes, it makes you laugh ... a lot

In all honesty, I personally think the only reason they got Archimonde is because, compared to Blackhand, he is a lot more brute forceable. They couldn't kill Blackhand (even on normal), mechanics kept fucking them up. Archimondes mechanics diminish quite a bit if you can just output a load of damage.
    Last edited by Rixis; 2015-11-22 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    They kinda flip flop on it. They didn't want me raiding with them because I told some undergeared people they should try getting some Tanaan Baleful loot, and so I was being too elitist. Rather than use running BRF heroic for them some loot on a raid night (this was actually suggested), I said they'd be better forming a couple of groups of 5 and running the Apexis areas, or hell, Mythic dungeons. These were people already in the guild, I was told it would be a future investment. They killed Hellfire Assault on the second or third attempt, wiped on Iron Reaver a few times then called it a night. One of the "future investments" left the guild, another stopped raiding due to uni and the third hasn't been seen for a month or more.

Ironically one of these undergeared people a month or two after this event told people they couldn't join the raid team until they got a higher ilevel. That moment of hilarious hipocrasy caused at least one person to leave the guild.

People that are "established" can reroll of new alts that are shit geared because "that new class is better synergy", than the one that's 50 item levels higher. One guy changed from priest to hunter, then a week later they denied a shaman from joining the guild, because according to the hunter (previously priest) the shaman (and thus hunter) token already had too many people fighting for it.

Yes, it makes you laugh ... a lot

In all honesty, I personally think the only reason they got Archimonde is because, compared to Blackhand, he is a lot more brute forceable. They couldn't kill Blackhand (even on normal), mechanics kept fucking them up. Archimondes mechanics diminish quite a bit if you can just output a load of damage.
    did they get archimonde before he got neutered on normal? removal of wrought of chaos, and adds from nether portals? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    did they get archimonde before he got neutered on normal? removal of wrought of chaos, and adds from nether portals? :P
    Only just, but yes.

Anyway, guilds do and should (especially lower progressed ones) recruit undergeared people. You can run things like Mythic dungeons and such so they can see you putting effort in.