Poll: Do you know how to drive a stick shift?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    This.
    I once drove an automatic M4. You have to rev the damn thing to 5000 RPM to get the gearbox to change up, or you'll be stuck in third on a 100kph class road, which means it is drinking fuel like crazy. And the gaps between the gears could contain two gears. Rev to 5000-5500, it changes up, and the revs drop down below 3000 and your torque just disappears.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2015-11-28 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    Your grandchildren will neither own a car nor know how to operate one.

The self-driving cars are coming, and instead of owning one you'll just call one when you need it, it will arrive in less than 5m, and will cost a small fraction of what car ownership does.

No more maintenance.
    No more driver-caused accidents.
    No more drunk driving and its associated human and legal costs.
    You don't need a garage or driveway any more. Reclaim all the land used by parking lots.
    No car industry.
    No filling stations.
    No service stations.
    No auto insurance.
    No taxi/uber/lyft/rental agencies. Everyone just uses Google/Apple car service.
    No commercial driver jobs.
    No traffic cops/enforcement

This shift over the next 50 or so years will dramatically change human society in almost every way.
    how about no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I was better with an Eaton Fuller ten speed before I really learned on a standard 5 speed you would find in your average car.
    Bad decisions make good stories.

SMITE, free to play MOBA!

My main car is a 2013 Veloster Turbo I bought new 2 years ago and I got a manual since I find it more fun and with the mods I've put into it, it just works so well together! Got a nice SRI with a custom turbo down exhaust and a professional tune and she has a mean bite now! My truck on the other hands is automatic but I only use it for house work/winter etc.

I am a truck guy through and through now, but even I had my time as a "ricer" back in the day...

Like I said, manual transmissions make any car fun lol

In my defense I absolutely refused to put any stickers on it though. I was more into the "highly detailed" portion of the car show. Good polish and wax job type stuff.

And no metal rear wings! My front lip and rear wing were from a genuine Type-R.

Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-11-28 at 06:09 PM.

Yes, my first car was a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I had later moved on to a Mitsubishi Evolution 8 in 2007 but sold it a while after. My next car will be manual for sure. There is nothing like the feeling of driving stick shift. I also think that it made me a better driver because I had that extra thing to worry about. After bumping and tapping into a few things while driving my Eclipse I have never been in any automobile accident.

Now watch me go cause a 20 car pile-up on the Verrazano Bidge just for saying that. :-)

Edit: Adding this just for kicks. I had a job as a vallet driver back around 2006-2008 where I got to drive a bunch of really nice sports cars. Anyhow, when the initial rush of people arriving (think weddings or sweet 16 parties and the like) was over we would pick out cars that we really wanted to drive and take them out for a little joyride. The Lamborghini or Ferrari/any other fast car, 150mph+ type joyride. Looking back I know i was an idiot but i am glad that i got it out of my system. I would never do anything like that unless it were my own car these days.
    Last edited by matters; 2015-11-28 at 06:17 PM.

My taste have changed over the past 15 years, if I were to own another car (as oppose to truck) I want this:

I don't care if it doesn't handle as well as a Mustang, Camero, or otherwise.

Out of all the old school muscle car companies that still exist, Dodge is the ONLY one in my opinion that managed to pull the retro look correctly with their Challenger.

The new ford and chevy muscle cars look like they want to be euro-autos.

In US yes I do, but I don't really like driving one

Sure, you would have to search quite a while to find an automatic transmission car here in Germany.

Yep, my car has a manual transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Sure, you would have to search quite a while to find an automatic transmission car here in Germany.
    See thats funny, in North America its the exact opposite.

Deleted
    Most people in the UK drive a manual car, and for most of Europe too I think.

I think you can take your test in an automatic car here but can then only drive automatic cars.

Nope, but then I don't know how to drive an automatic either. I have a bike and I take trains, sometimes I take my bike on trains.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Going to be even harder when self driving cars gets common lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgim View Post
    Most people in the UK drive a manual car, and for most of Europe too I think.

I think you can take your test in an automatic car here but can then only drive automatic cars.
    I did that in Norway, cba with manual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    And it's reversed with heavy trucks. In Europe automatics and semi automatics are way more common . In North America 10,13, and 18 speeds still continue to rule the highways.
    Bad decisions make good stories.

SMITE, free to play MOBA!

Yep, have for years. They're a lot of fun in the rural area in which I currently live, but I abhor stop and go city driving with a manual.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I loved manual transmission, unfortunately I didn't like replacing the clutch plates and fly wheels every few months lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am currently still driving manual car, however when I get my next car (planning on the 3rd gen TT next) I plan to go auto as I really hate the clutch.

Deleted
    I haven't driven any car since I got my license years ago. But theoretically I should be able to!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can, poorly. It's that neutral to first that always gets me, once I'm actually driving, up-shifting and downshifting is easy. I'm certain it's all in my perception of things.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.