Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is any "correct" way how to apply thermal paste on CPU?

Good day guys!
    I'll recieve new gaming rig today and after massive google research I'm still undeciced which way should I apply thermal paste on CPU.
    I'll have i7 4790k so I'm little worried about temperatures so want to do it "right" way.

Main question is - Should I use some pattern (dot, line, X) or should I spread it via card or whatever. I read multiple articles that spreading is "bad" because of air bubbles but on the other hand other articles ssays - "spread or be dead" :-)

Maybe I'm just overthinking it but I never had high-end processor so I'm little worried.
    Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

One small blob on the centre of the grey metal on top of the CPU about 1-2mm in each direction. Then lower the heatsink on to the CPU paying attention that it applies pressure evenly, and screw down the holding points in a cross pattern in multiple steps (for example top left, bottom right, bottom left, top right).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

Here you go. Less is supposed to be better. Apparently it spreads out when it heats up.
    Last edited by Skytip; 2015-05-14 at 11:23 AM.

Deleted
    thanks for answers! So OK I'll spread paste via heatsink. Now I'm unsure if to use line, blob or X. according to video that you posted it seems that X has much better paste distribution (all over processor). So in ideal world whole CPU should be covered without any "overlaps" right? I read somewhere that only middle matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    A blob is fine. There is literally no difference between it, and an X will use too much.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I always use the pea method. Pea sized blob in middle. Unless of course you get a liquid metal. Then you do have to spread it.

Blob is perfectly fine.

Hell, unless it's going through extensive shit anything is fine. I recently baked my GPU and it's still running perfectly fine with 5 year old thermal paste that has been hardened by age. <.<
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    blob , line they are all fine . just don't spread the paste yourself let the heatsink do the job

Quote Originally Posted by jirkamcz View Post
    thanks for answers! So OK I'll spread paste via heatsink. Now I'm unsure if to use line, blob or X. according to video that you posted it seems that X has much better paste distribution (all over processor). So in ideal world whole CPU should be covered without any "overlaps" right? I read somewhere that only middle matters.
    I'd do a blob on CPUs like a 3570K/4790K and a line on a 5960X, because the actual CPU bit of the processor is quite a bit smaller on the "consumer" chips.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchmageAllayne View Post
    blob , line they are all fine . just don't spread the paste yourself let the heatsink do the job
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...echniques-170/

TLR

Do what you want, it is marginal at best what method you use as long as you are not one of those special people. I have never seen the shootout where spreading is not the front runner or just average. Those "air bubbles" are a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, with a liquid thermal interface material you'd paint it on. I don't see much point in using this stuff as its typically more trouble than its worth in most home applications.
    To add I am pretty sure that stuff is both conductive and made from gallium which eats aluminium like you can't believe. Professionals only.

Deleted
    There are a lot of methods to apply thermal paste. For GPUs or larger CPUs you might use a + or x or even * pattern. For most normal sized CPUs a blob or grain of rice is usually fine. The big thing to remember is you don't want air bubbles so do your best to mount the heatsink in one go. Don't muck about with checking coverage unless you want to reapply the paste in the same manner before reattaching. Less is more typically with this stuff though. If you have a ton of paste between the heatsink and the cpu it won't work as efficiently as a thin even layer.

This, as long as your spreading method doesn't create air pockets you're fine. I.e. don't make a square or circle, leave room for the air to escape.

Don't worry alot, just follow the instructions in video above and you'll be OK)

Yeah, with a liquid thermal interface material you'd paint it on. I don't see much point in using this stuff as its typically more trouble than its worth in most home applications.
    I don't know. I used Coolaboratory Liquid Pro on my new builds. I first used Arctic Silver, applied my OC, then ran stress tests. Removed heatsink, cleaned off thermal paste and applied the liquid pro. It was not that much of a pain. It came with an alcohol wipe to clean CPU/Heatsink, a little scrub pad to lightly score the surface and a Q-Tip to apply the stuff. Put a small drop, spread a thin layer across the surface with the Q-Tip, then another thin layer on the heatsink. Check my OC settings to double check they were the same. Ran my stress test again and there was a 5 degree difference. I think that's worth it and it's not as hard as people make it out to be.

Deleted
    i got a new rig a month ago.
    searched 2-3 hours about that problem. long story short: the paste is not as important as you might think!
    its only there to sure that you do not have air(!) between your cpu and your heatsink.

a little dot as shown in the youtube guide will work fine.
    i used a little "ice-spoon", you can gat it from your local "ice-dealer" :-)... its summertime so they opend everywhere. apply it as thin as you can.
    its really not that important. my i5 4690k runs at 32 celsius (max power after 2h // mugen 4 cooler)

i heard, the biggest mistake is too much paste!

gl and have fun building your rig.

Deleted
    thanks a lot for your feedback guys! I already mounted cooler and used only small blob method (according to video). I'll install system tomorrow and see if CPU is overheater or not. It should have about 30C in idle and about 70C in load right?

I just bought a new processor and the heatsink it came with already has paste on it ready - 3 strips of paste in a nice little pattern. Each about 6mm wide and 20mm long.

I figure Intel know what they're doing, so something similar to that is probably a good idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thermal Paste is like toothpaste. Companies show in advertisements that they use X much, but you only actually need to use a little.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I figure Intel know what they're doing, so something similar to that is probably a good idea.
    They give you the same heatsink as someone sitting at their desk using a pentium though. Its 'fine', but its not going to stop it throttling under heavy load, hence why people even buy aftermarket ones in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I just bought a new processor and the heatsink it came with already has paste on it ready - 3 strips of paste in a nice little pattern. Each about 6mm wide and 20mm long.

Intel "pre-spreads" the paste because it makes it easier to transport and cheaper to apply. Not because it is the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Intel "pre-spreads" the paste because it makes it easier to transport and cheaper to apply. Not because it is the best way to do it.
    and because it's harder to screw up.