Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yea that MAC exclusive Halo game that no one would remember today would have been something
    Yeah, MAC exclusive is exactly what I was going for there cause everyone thinks "MAC" when they are thinking about gaming. Way to play the jackass card there.

Back to the point : Halo is a very poor choice if you are trying (and in your case, failing) to prove that exclusivity is good for the consumer.

Deleted
    Didn't plan to buy any ubisoft things anyway. count me in lol
    Btw add Konami to that list...

No, just no .. heheh.

But what kinda forum topic is it when you like, try to ask everyone to take your side on something? Oh, well, actually .. I guess a lot of threads do that, huh?

Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Yeah, MAC exclusive is exactly what I was going for there cause everyone thinks "MAC" when they are thinking about gaming. Way to play the jackass card there.

Back to the point : Halo is a very poor choice if you are trying (and in your case, failing) to prove that exclusivity is good for the consumer.
    Halo was a MAC exclusive game before MS bought bungie. That is a fact. It wasn't even a shooter it was an RTS. Again, that is a fact. Sorry you didn't understand the history of the game to realize that was a reality. Without MS, Halo never becomes what it is today and is in all likely hood a forgotten franchise.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-01-01 at 03:06 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always see people bashing Uplay, but I've never had problems with it. It's slightly annoying to have different clients but it's the same deal with Origin. Actually there are quite a few other companies that use clients other than Steam when you start to look around (MyGames, Battle.Net, etc.). I shop around and if I can get a better deal on a game I'll get it directly from Uplay or whatever. If it's the same price or close I get it at Steam, no big deal. I have too many games from different places to be OCD about all of my games being in 1 client. Steam has enough of a monopoly as it is, I wouldn't want it to get worse. Plus sometimes the other clients like Uplay or Origin have some nice little perks, either free games or free in-game content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukidaruma View Post
    You don't have to launch a second program, skip Steam and just start uPlay.
    I really don't get all the praise Steam gets for being so bloated, especially in combination with the horrible support from Valve.
    Yeah, because when I buy a game on Steam I want to finishing downloading the game only to discover I need to now download Uplay and make an account for it. That sounds real fucking convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Oh yea? You magically patch the blizzard games yourself so you never have to load the launcher?

Not to mention the hilarious part where blizzard games take longer to get into without the launcher due to having to manually type in your PW and authenticator code, where as the launcher skips those steps.

Your posts get more and more ridiculous.
    ROFL, dude you are becoming ridiculous. How dare these peasants do not like your Origin! Nobody is allowed to not like what you like, nonononononono! Anything they say is automatically shit and lies because their point of view is different to yours! Go dude, go! Fetch those tools!

But if serious, yes, you can start wow and diablo3 by starting their respective .exe files directly. Those games will work without launcher. Starcraft will work without launcher as well, I believe. Also, learn2read plx. As I said since post number one in this thread, I would love to have OPTIONS. Blizzard gives us such options to play some of their games without using their launcher, that's why I respect and tolerate their launcher, because they respect and tolerate different points of view.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Dnusha View Post
    There are other ways to play ubisoft game on PC. Just saying.
    Yeah, this other day... A... Computer fell off a truck through my window right into my desk...! And it had Assassin's Creed Black Flag in it, and for some reason, it played without Uplay, as if someone magically changed the executables!!!...

Can I play it then?... ;]

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    ROFL, dude you are becoming ridiculous. How dare these peasants do not like your Origin! Nobody is allowed to not like what you like, nonononononono! Anything they say is automatically shit and lies because their point of view is different to yours! Go dude, go! Fetch those tools!
    Honestly, I can understand some of the dislike of Origin, it was utter shit for a while after it launched. But nowadays, it's largely just another launcher for games. It functions just as well as most other launchers, with its odd quirks and all but mostly just fine.

But talk to some people and you'd think that Original had personally killed their families. It's an extension of a largely irrational hatred for EA. Not because they don't deserve criticism, because they totally do for a whole lot of things. But the level of hatred directed towards the company by some people is flat out comical.

But if serious, yes, you can start wow and diablo3 by starting their respective .exe files directly. Those games will work without launcher. Starcraft will work without launcher as well, I believe. Also, learn2read plx.
    IIRC you need to alter the .exe command slightly to get that to work with D3. I don't believe it works with any other Blizzard games though. But the point remains, that all those games are designed to be launched through the Battle.net launcher and your average consumer would not know/assume otherwise.

As I said since post number one in this thread, I would love to have OPTIONS. Blizzard gives us such options to play some of their games without using their launcher, that's why I respect and tolerate their launcher, because they respect and tolerate different points of view.
    Last I recall they've been phasing that ability out as time goes on, and just about their whole library nowadays (except D3 I believe) needs to be launched through the Battle.net launcher.

Either way, you need to be connected to Battle.net for all their games, so the launcher being open or not is trivial, you're still connected to their DRM platform no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, I can understand some of the dislike of Origin, it was utter shit for a while after it launched. But nowadays, it's largely just another launcher for games. It functions just as well as most other launchers, with its odd quirks and all but mostly just fine.

But talk to some people and you'd think that Original had personally killed their families. It's an extension of a largely irrational hatred for EA. Not because they don't deserve criticism, because they totally do for a whole lot of things. But the level of hatred directed towards the company by some people is flat out comical.
    To be honest, simple dislike is not equal to "personally killing their families".

I do not like Origin and I am not using it. Why does this simple and logical fact turns so many irrational Origin fanboys (secretly Steam haters maybe) angry, I don't know. Not liking something is absolutely fine. I don't like broccoli and I don't eat it. I don't like dogs so I have a cat pet instead. I don't like cars so I drive a motorcycle. I don't like rap and electronic music so I don't listen to it. I don't like Origin so I am not using it. Simple dislike is reason enough to not use a product. Even if you dislike the color theme and/or you don't like a size and shape of "add to the cart" button, that is enough reason to not use a product. And when you're forced to install a separate launcher for every game you play, and you don't want because you don't like that, you certainly can avoid doing that, and can express your feelings about the whole situation as well.

Also, talking to some people, you'd think that Origin is a flawless, perfect launcher coded by God itself.
    Last edited by l33t; 2016-01-01 at 08:13 AM.

I had already come to that conclusion myself.

Bought a game through Steam, it somehow got linked to an account I can't access.... no username, e-mail, id combination I can think of is helping. Tried to contact Ubisoft, told them I'd bought the game through Steam and just needed to know what ID it was linked to, offered to provide any proof of ID they required by any means desired, basically got told "sorry, next time don't buy through steam, just buy the game again directly from us."

My wife bought a game through them, it launches just fine but UPlay slows everything down and likes to crash randomly. No other launcher has given her issues, nor any other program; just UPlay.

That's leaving aside the numerous errors and issues I tend to see in Ubisoft games to start with.

So.... yeah, crap program, crap customer service, and shoddy QA work on the games themselves. No reason to buy from them.

To be honest, simple dislike is not equal to "personally killing their families".
    I agree. But when reading what some people write about EA/Origin you'd think they/it had committed some unforgivable sin and that they had a blood feud with them/it. It's pretty hilarious to me.

I do not like Origin and I am not using it. Why does this simple and logical fact turns so many irrational Origin fanboys (secretly Steam haters maybe) angry, I don't know.
    Honestly, I'd be surprised if anyone found an Origin fanboy. I don't think anyone likes it enough to even come close to fanboy status. But there are those of us who, while we may not love it, don't harbor any permanent ill will towards it and see it as what it is - another digital distribution/launch platform on PC that while not providing as many services or as large a library as Steam or GoG isn't much of a negative either.

I'm not trying to dismiss casual dislike of it by any means, I have a very casual dislike of it. I'm more continually perplexed by some peoples dedication towards hating it in its entirety, even after most of its initial problems have been addressed and it's gone from broken trash to a functional piece of software which exists as a minor annoyance at most.

Also, talking to some people, you'd think that Origin is a flawless, perfect launcher coded by God itself.
    Who? Anyone in this thread? Because I've not seen any indication of that by any means. I doubt you'll find anyone who hasn't had issues with Origin over the years or feels that as it stands now it's a perfect piece of software.

Who? Anyone in this thread? Because I've not seen any indication of that by any means. I doubt you'll find anyone who hasn't had issues with Origin over the years or feels that as it stands now it's a perfect piece of software.
    Well then I don't get it. I had 10x more problems with origin using that for 1.5 years than I had with steam using it for 5 years. Maybe that's where one should search for the roots of the hate? I am not your "allforgiving, always giving another chance" dude. I tried it, it failed my expectations, annoyed me with bugs. That's it, I won't use it anymore. Why is that called irrational hate, I can't even.

Well then I don't get it. I had 10x more problems with origin using that for 1.5 years than I had with steam using it for 5 years. Maybe that's where one should search for the roots of the hate?
    Honestly, at this point I've seen just about as much "THIS WON'T WORK AT ALL FOR ME!" complaints in the past few years for Steam as I have for Origin, uPlay, GoG Universe, Battlenet launcher, and any other launcher. Most of it seems to be largely isolated incidents rather than anything widespread.

That's not to dismiss them, because I've had those types of issues before with various launchers and they're always a massive pain in the ass.

I am not your "allforgiving, always giving another chance" dude. I tried it, it failed my expectations, annoyed me with bugs. That's it, I won't use it anymore. Why is that called irrational hate, I can't even.
    And that's fair enough. Can't fault someone for that, as it's based off of a personal experience with it. But it's rarely I see justification for any dislike, especially the louder and angrier dislike of the platform.

It's an extension of a largely irrational hatred for EA.
    There is no "irrational" hatred for EA. They're a terrible company who make/publish terrible, overpriced games.

Deleted
    What is up with all those launchers anyway ? Is it the new hot potato, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    What is up with all those launchers anyway ? Is it the new hot potato, and why?
    EA is greedy so they don't want to share their profits with Valve, Ubisoft is full of morons, and GOG Galaxy is an actual necessity. You don't want Valve to actually have complete control over the PC gaming market. Their customer service is already terrible and their "big" sales have gone down the drain.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate Ubisoft for a different reason.. For completely butchering Might and Magic, and in particular Heroes. Dear lord it's painful to watch.

sign me up!

I love that fuckin ad uplay puts up after u close a game!
    "Thanks for buying our game here have some ads aswell!"

I once tried to download a demo of an Ubisoft game on Steam. It still made me go through Uplay. And it didn't even work! The demo was nowhere to be found in Uplay, even after having downloaded the files from Steam and it would not run at all, because it had to go through Uplay. Foiled from playing a free demo by DRM. Absolutely brilliant.