Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    We could, of course, always send our soldiers fight their wars on Mars. Make it a "war planet". Perpetual peace on Earth, perpetual war on Mars. Mars is, after all, the god of war.

Should people be locked up for participating in mutually consensual actions? I don't think so.

So to answer the question - yes. But I would not be promoting such events and don't think many would nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    I don't see the point. There are plenty of athletic disciplines that focus on the application of determined skills in combat, for sport and entertainment. Anything going further than that would likely promote violence for the hell of it and that would be an obvious regression of our society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I don't see the point. There are plenty of athletic disciplines that focus on the application of determined skills in combat, for sport and entertainment. Anything going further than that would likely promote violence for the hell of it and that would be an obvious regression of our society.
    I would like to see fencing and other forms of weapon-based combat return as a decently watchable sport though.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the death? No. Non-lethal? Depends I guess.

It would be fun, but its just a bad idea. Of course, it would be fun to see Oprah vs. Donald Trump or Kim Kardashian vs. Kayne West.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, gladiatorial games were not generally fought to the death. They were little different from current high impact martial arts competitions and therefore still exist.
    But a gladiator could still just be either killed of during the fight, or killed by the order of the ruler. This is a huge different compared to martial art, not to mention the usage of lethal weapons. So no, we shouldn't bring those back.

gladiator were essentially slaves because no one in the right mind would risk their life to that, they were not owning their life.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Yes, use it for the world leaders to settle their grievances.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, I'd like to think mankind has moved on from being ruthless savages, that kill people for mere entertainment.
    I agree. However, we still are at the " Enjoy watching blood fly from fights inside rings and cages" stage. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Yes, use it for the world leaders to settle their grievances.
    Lol! We would want to have our Ultimate Fighter Champion to run for President? Of course inside a ring with light armor and weapons being used is a different type and style of fighting. They might suck at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    gladiator were essentially slaves because no one in the right mind would risk their life to that, they were not owning their life.
    Gladiators were (mostly) slaves - however they did have the choice, again in most cases, to actually become a gladiator (Virgil writes that it had to be signed by the slave that he wished to become a gladiator - and also by his owner, but Virgil also says that the slaves signature was legally property of his master, so take from that what you will) - in fact it was a sort of quasislave social caste used to move up the social ladder. If you won, you could become a 'freedman' literally meaning you won your freedom and possessed all the rights of a Roman, the same term was given to slaves who fought in the Imperial Roman Army for set periods of time which seemed to change by Emperor. This arrangement probably wasn't for the benefit of slaves of course, it worked well for the owner as he received the winnings whether the slave became a star 'freedman' or died after a few bouts.
    Last edited by tobzhax; 2016-01-03 at 02:21 AM.
    "Hacker:... an aficionado of computers - someone who enjoys making computers do new things, or do old things in a new and clever way." - H. S. Warren, JR "Hacker's Delight"
    "The process of preparing programs for a digital computer is especially attractive, ... it can be an aesthetic experience much like composing poetry or music." - Donald E. Knuth "The Art of Computer Programming"

Deleted
    UFC 195 is live now!

Fact of the day: Gladiatorial fights originated in Etruscan funerary custom.

OT: I think we should. Mandatory for convicted criminals (the US prison system is there for profit anyway; what bigger profit could you get out of it than 100,000 seat sporting events?), voluntary for the population at large.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

From every intro Classics textbook in circulation:

The Etruscan's
    "Hacker:... an aficionado of computers - someone who enjoys making computers do new things, or do old things in a new and clever way." - H. S. Warren, JR "Hacker's Delight"
    "The process of preparing programs for a digital computer is especially attractive, ... it can be an aesthetic experience much like composing poetry or music." - Donald E. Knuth "The Art of Computer Programming"

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd personally love to watch some Gladiator coliseum matches.

To the death? No fucking way, even if it was deathrow inmates fighting to the death I would still think people fighting each other to the death for the amusement of others to be wrong.
    if you want to see people kicking the everliving shit out of each other watch UFC or something like that.

Could be interesting if it were strictly voluntary. How that would be done, I have no idea.

But in principle, no. Sports already meet the desire for self-validating conflict well enough, in my honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Algythor View Post
    Were you able to freely decline those or was there a penalty?
    I'd assume you could just stay the fuck away from the place where the duel was supposed to take place. You'd probably be branded a coward though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lol! We would want to have our Ultimate Fighter Champion to run for President? Of course inside a ring with light armor and weapons being used is a different type and style of fighting. They might suck at it.
    There would be no rewards in this fight (other than the winner gets to live) so need for that. It would only serve as a means to prevent idiots in power dragging a country into a war. If you're a peaceful leader you don't need to participate.

I only support a four way gladiator battle between Sir Riptor, Jaylock, Jayburner, and Tennisace.
    Beta Club Brosquad