7+ Year Old Account

Question Pre-potting and second pot.

Heya guys. Having been recently enjoying raiding in using both Blood and Frost specced DK.

So I have a little confusion with the working of the second pot as dps, I've only been using the Draenic Strength Potion on pull (while being quite silly in completely skipping this as tank). As a tank, I'd use the BA pot as a D-CD? Will that be available mid fight after using a strength prepot? And would a strength pot be available as a second while in dps after using one as a pre-pot?

All in all, some massive confusion on the mechanics of second potting.

Much appreciated guys ♥

For your main point, yes, the point of pre-potting is that you get to use 2 potions over the course of the fight because you are not in combat when you use the first one.

Secondly, for most tanks (I'm sure on DK, Warrior and Paladin) armor potions give you more dps than strength ones, so you should just use those instead. And yes, keep the 2nd one as a defensive cooldown if you need it, otherwise just use it to maximise your dps.

How it works is: When you use a potion, the game checks to see if you're in combat. If you are, the potion cooldown timer won't start ticking down until you exit combat.

However, if you use a potion before you enter combat, the timer will be ticking down and you can use another one as soon as it's finished while you're still in combat.

So you use your potion ~1-2 seconds before the pull and then again at any point in the fight where it be most beneficial.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ahhhh, fantastic info guys. Thank you so very much as both posts shine a massive amount of light on the subject.

Very much appreciated ♥

Though a BA potion shouldn't be underestimated, it is a quite minor defensive CD on its own. Yes it provides a minor physical damage reduction, but the more important factor is the 1500 increased AP, hence its important to use your BA potion alongside abilities which are amplified by AP (eg. Pump out some even more amped up death strikes or a BoS) rather than set it and forget it.

(For the record agility potion is the best when using heart of the wild (guardian), your pot outside of hotw should still be an armour pot though. Irrelevant because OP is a dk tho)

As stated in 2nd post never ever Str Pot as a tank. It is less damage than a armor pot to being with and there is just no reason to not Armor pot.

Deleted
    Never, ever, ever, use anything other than Bonus Armor pots as a tank, its really not worth it. You'll get 500 AP more from using the Armor pot, and decent defensive stats, even though thats not the main reason to use the pot. You use the pot to enhance your abilities, since almost everything scales of attack power anyway

As a tank I very rarely use the bonus armor pot as a defensive cooldown, but much more as a dps boost with the ring aswell, just to help push dps. The situations where using the ring or the pot as a defensive is far between. Maybe Mannoroth mythic on a p3 slice with no externals/personals avaliable, Xhul when both adds are up instead of externals or Tyrant p3 (But you already used it p2 to nuke boss right?).
    Its quite easy to push 100k+ dps with the ring and pot active as a tank in decent gear, its important dmg during Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Ebayed View Post
    Maybe Mannoroth mythic on a p3 slice with no externals/personals avaliable
    Glaive ignores armor and armor doesn't work on blast cuz its magic.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Ahhhh, fantastic info guys. Thank you so very much as both posts shine a massive amount of light on the subject.

Very much appreciated ♥
    I think you should RELEASE THE KRAKEN!