2160p over 50' HDMI

Hi everybody,

I recently bought a cheap 50' HDMI cable to use my 4k TV as a second monitor. Unfortunately the cable will not carry a 2160p signal (and only occasionally works at 1080p resolution). Can anybody recommend a fairly priced HDMI cable for this? The cable must be at least 35' (prefer 40'+), as it is run through the walls and attic.

Related: I need to change the resolution on my second monitor (TV), but plugging the HDMI cable in and turning the TV on disables my primary display and shows "no signal" on the TV. How can I switch from "Use only display 2" to "Mirror this display" without being able to see anything?

For one thing, not all HDMI ports are compatible with 4k video.

Unless you have a a GTX 950, 960, 970, 980 or 980Ti, you dont have an HDMI 2.0 port and cant run 4k over HDMI anyway.

Even if you do, youll only get 30fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    For one thing, not all HDMI ports are compatible with 4k video.

Unless you have a a GTX 950, 960, 970, 980 or 980Ti, you dont have an HDMI 2.0 port and cant run 4k over HDMI anyway.

Even if you do, youll only get 30fps.
    I have an R9 380, which supports 2160@30Hz. Which I'm fine with, but I'm also having problems running 1080@60.

I'am fairly sure the issue is the hdmi cable being 50'. Cable's signals degrade the longer the length and also based on the type of interface (hdmi vs dvi for example). 50' is probably the point where you struggle to get anything. For very long lengths you would need to use an hdmi extender/booster. I would try buying the shortest cable you could use possible and it might be good enough. Just buy the cheapest one you can find, probably 10 bucks on ebay. If it doesn't work or isn't good enough you are going to need to look into using a hdmi extender/booster.

Btw have you tried running a lower resolution than 1080? I'm curious if you get a reliable signal then or still none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxle View Post
    I'am fairly sure the issue is the hdmi cable being 50'. Cable's signals degrade the longer the length and also based on the type of interface (hdmi vs dvi for example).
    Except DVI and HDMI pass the exact same electrical signal. HDMI is simply an outgrowth of DVI-HDCP. So while your statement is correct (signals degrade over the length of the cable), comparing HDMI to DVI is a bad example.

50' is probably the point where you struggle to get anything.
    In our business we use 100' cables to mirror tournament screens on projectors so the crowd can see what is going on. We've never had an issue, but they were not cheap cables. Some HDMI cables use different materials and are rated for longer lengths. If its just a plain old HDMI cable it might not even make it 35 feet. (im not at the warehouse to look but im fairly certain ours are "Active" cables, which means they have a small booster in the cable itself).

For very long lengths you would need to use an hdmi extender/booster. I would try buying the shortest cable you could use possible and it might be good enough. Just buy the cheapest one you can find, probably 10 bucks on ebay. If it doesn't work or isn't good enough you are going to need to look into using a hdmi extender/booster.

Btw have you tried running a lower resolution than 1080? I'm curious if you get a reliable signal then or still none at all.
    You can also run HDMI over CAT6, up to 150 feet (or, alternatively, a pair of CAT5e cables). Here's a set of the adapters:

https://www.elvessupply.com/Vanco-28...YLYRoCc_3w_wcB

50' is the max length you can use to get a stable 1080P signal. That's in a perfect world. You should be able to get a booster for cheap. Still not sure if you'll get 60hz though... monoprice claims their 50' active HDMI cable will work. no reason you couldn't use an amp and the cable though right?
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13760
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10249
    It appears this amplifier will do 4k but not at 60hz, only 30hz.

I don't know your budget, so I went with the least expensive items.
    Last edited by Gilgemesh; 2016-01-12 at 06:32 AM.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    50' is the max length you can use to get a stable 1080P signal. That's in a perfect world. You should be able to get a booster for cheap. Still not sure if you'll get 60hz though... monoprice claims their 50' active HDMI cable will work. no reason you couldn't use an amp and the cable though right?
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13760
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10249
    It appears this amplifier will do 4k but not at 60hz, only 30hz.

I don't know your budget, so I went with the least expensive items.
    HDMI 1.4 wont do 60hz anyway. Only 2.0, which he does not have in any case.

You can get 200+ feet on an "Active" cable (the cables have built in amplifiers). They just cost more.

I've used 50' HDMI cables without issue. As long as its a cable with good shielding and the output source has a strong signal, it will work fine.

As others have stated, HDMI 1.4 only supports 4k at 30hz. In order to get 60hz, you need hardware to support HDMI 2.0 at both ends. The cable itself isn't a big deal as long as its a 1.4 cable. You just need the output and the input connector to support HDMI 2.0.

I have a 3 metres long cable and it works just fine with 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    I have a 3 metres long cable and it works just fine with 4k.
    well, 3 meters is only about 10 feet, so not even close to the 50 feet they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    well, 3 meters is only about 10 feet, so not even close to the 50 feet they are talking about.
    I took ' as inches.

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    I took ' as inches.
    He was talking about running it up walls through attic, back down walls. 3 meters or ~40 inches would not even get you up the wall to begin with, much less through the attic and back down.

Also 6'5" means 6 feet 5 inches. ' = Feet, " = inches.

at that distance, dont get cheap cables. Make sure you know the gauge wiring inside the cable. Lower gauge = thicker wires = more able to travel signal over longer distances. Plus you are trying to push a 4k signal through it.

The thinnest gauge that HDMI spec calls for is 28AWG. For 50ft @ 4k, I would look for 24AWG, preferably 22AWG. It won't be cheap.

edit: google-fu shows at least $55. I've never used this brand before, so take it with a grain of salt. https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-prem...d-plated-50-ft
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2016-01-12 at 09:22 PM.