Thread: Suicide

Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Suicide

Have any of you dealt with suicide in your life? My grandfather on my dad's side killed himself when I was really young. I never really knew him. A couple of years ago a friend of mine who I played wow with killed himself. That hurt quite a bit as there's not very many people in game that I would consider a friend. He was in my raid team back in cataclysm. It was a huge hit for all of us on the team. I suffer from bipolar disorder and have to admit that I've often wanted to commit suicide however I stay because of how it would effect the people around me. My family and friends. I don't fully understand it or the reasoning behind the people who actually have done it. I mean since you never really know what pushed them over it's hard to understand.

Have you guys had anybody close to you commited done it? How did it effect you?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

My closest friend's father committed a double suicide. He locked my friend and her twin brother in a room (they were 2 years old at the time), sent the oldest daughter (4 years old) to bed and told the oldest son (6 years old) to go upstairs and call the police. Then he dragged his wife into the bathroom and shot her in the chest with a pump action shotgun then turned the gun on himself and blew his head off.

It was pretty awful and things got worst from there actually.

My friend is quite the human being. A terrific mind and deeply compassionate.

I dont know about anyone who commited suicide, but I've tried it myself 2 times because of depressions. Without a lot of help from friends I probably wouldn't be alive right now.
    Its a huge story of my life, so I wont really get into detail... but in my case it basically effected both sides. People wanted to help me, get my life back on the road and were more "aware" of my current situation of life at that point, even though they knew I have a rough life. They tried to help as much as they can and I learned that it's just not the right way, even if it looked like it in at that point in my life, even if i'm at my lowest, I just talk to them and usually that keeps my spirit up.

I'm actually thankful that I have friends like that, that just TRY to be there as much as they can. For me personally, I'm trying to get better, help friends in certain situation as much as possible and that actually keeps me going to this day, while also trying to get my own life back on track. I do know that some of my friends actually had people close to them commiting suicide, which is why they are much more aware about it nowadays, than they were back then and couldn't stop somebody from doing it.

In the end, it looks like some kind of "freedom" for yourself, but for everyone else its just pure pain and even breaks some of them.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    I dont know about anyone who commited suicide, but I've tried it myself 2 times because of depressions. Without a lot of help from friends I probably wouldn't be alive right now.
    Its a huge story of my life, so I wont really get into detail... but in my case it basically effected both sides. People wanted to help me, get my life back on the road and were more "aware" of my current situation of life at that point, even though they knew I have a rough life. They tried to help as much as they can and I learned that it's just not the right way, even if it looked like it in at that point in my life, even if i'm at my lowest, I just talk to them and usually that keeps my spirit up.

I'm actually thankful that I have friends like that, that just TRY to be there as much as they can. For me personally, I'm trying to get better, help friends in certain situation as much as possible and that actually keeps me going to this day, while also trying to get my own life back on track. I do know that some of my friends actually had people close to them commiting suicide, which is why they are much more aware about it nowadays, than they were back then and couldn't stop somebody from doing it.

In the end, it looks like some kind of "freedom" for yourself, but for everyone else its just pure pain and even breaks some of them.
    I've attempted it twice myself. I understand the hell that you go through when that low.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Never gotten to that point myself or knew anyone close to me who did who did, although the father of a friend/acquaintance offed himself with a pistol a couple of years back. I've dealt with depression during my life, but never to that degree. I can only imagine how awful it must be to get to the point where you really think that death is better than anything you could get out of the rest of your life. =(

Also @ Fencers, holy shit. That's beyond fucked up, and it's a miracle that your friend turned out ok. How did her siblings turn out?

I'm kind of curious on how does one attempt suicide a whole bunch of times without succeeding in it? I have no wish to do suicide, but I'd imagine I'd take steps to ensure I would succeed at it the first time, if that was the thing I felt needed to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I'm kind of curious on how does one attempt suicide a whole bunch of times without succeeding in it? I have no wish to do suicide, but I'd imagine I'd take steps to ensure I would succeed at it the first time, if that was the thing I felt needed to be done.
    I stopped myself.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

My brother attempted. After his wife got implants, she attracted the attention of some bad people. She got into fuckin' around, then into hard drugs and ruining my brother's life for thrills it seemed. He has chronic pain issues that he managed at the time with prescription pain medication, but one night, things got especially rough and he took a whole bottle. Thankfully, he survived. But for some reason he got married again to someone that shares many of the same characteristics as his ex-wife. I worry about him every day.

A friend of mine shot himself in the head. He was dating a girl for a couple years, then one day she dumped him through a text message. I imagine it had been building up, but based on the way they were together the night before at dinner with friends, it seemed totally out of the blue. He went over to her house to talk to her, since a text message break up leaves a lot of questions that end up making more questions. Her brothers pretty much chased him out of the house.

The next day, he was about to go swimming and enjoy the day at a local river, and he invited the girl with a text, thinking maybe she'd be interested after having some time to think. No response. So, he went swimming with his buds. Atop one of the paths leading out of the river, the girls brothers met waiting for him. They beat the shit out him. Pissed of and confused, he went home.

Later that night he went over to her house to ask her what the fuck was going on. He made the mistake of laying hands on her. He didn't hit her at all, but he did touch her. He was arrested and spent some time in jail. He got in with some bad people in jail. I won't say what they were doing, but he wasn't shy. He told some friends about it, and they told me. Even thought the stuff was super out of character... I didn't really want to talk to him. Nobody did. Looking back, he was super scared. He was asking for help. I saw him in the parking lot as I was leaving the grocery store. He saw me see him and I kept getting into my car. I didn't want to get into gang bullshit.

The next day, I was eating Taco Bell in my car on my lunch break, when I got a text from a mutual friend, telling me that our friend killed himself. I later learned the tragic details, but it was immediately heartbreaking. He was one of my most cherished friends. He inspired me artistically in a truly amazing way. He was so, so kind. And now he's dead and I could have done something. Not saying that for someone to say it's not my fault. I'm saying that because I want people to take extra care to be there for their friends when they're lost and down.
    Last edited by dir; 2016-01-16 at 05:39 AM.

I honestly don't think I'd have the balls to do it, and I feel like it I were to jump off a cliff or something I'd have serious buyer's remorse before I hit the ground.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I really think we need to reexamine our laws (Americans) that prevent people who are dying from cancer or whatever and are in horrible pain from seeking physician-assisted suicide. Obviously if we're talking about people who have severe depression or suicidal tendencies we should try to get them help, but if people are in physical pain and there's no hope, who are we to tell them that they need to keep suffering?

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Also @ Fencers, holy shit. That's beyond fucked up, and it's a miracle that your friend turned out ok. How did her siblings turn out?
    Tragic.

Gang member, abuser, drug dealer and murderer.
    Depressed, alcoholic, suicidal, drug dealer, drug addict.
    Needy, selfish, drug addict, over eater, low self esteem, runaway.

Quote Originally Posted by dir View Post
    Story
    I'm sorry for your loss. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    I honestly don't think I'd have the balls to do it, and I feel like it I were to jump off a cliff or something I'd have serious buyer's remorse before I hit the ground.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I really think we need to reexamine our laws (Americans) that prevent people who are dying from cancer or whatever and are in horrible pain from seeking physician-assisted suicide. Obviously if we're talking about people who have severe depression or suicidal tendencies we should try to get them help, but if people are in physical pain and there's no hope, who are we to tell them that they need to keep suffering?
    mental pain can be just as bad if not worse than physical pain.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I stopped myself.
    I'm glad you did, but is it an attempt if you stopped yourself before doing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Tragic.

Gang member, abuser, drug dealer and murderer.
    Depressed, alcoholic, suicidal, drug dealer, drug addict.
    Needy, selfish, drug addict, over eater, low self esteem, runaway.
    That's really tragic. It's doubly surprising that she turned out ok, I'd say. I have a brother who struggles with alcoholism (functional) and that's the worst we've had to deal with. I can't even imagine being the lone sane and well-adjusted person while my family collapses around me.

I'm glad you did, but is it an attempt if you stopped yourself before doing it?
    I ended up in the hospital the second time. It was pretty close. I swallowed a shit load of pills.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The brightest minds are often brought up amongst the worst hardship. Its the struggle that forces us to grow. Keep your head up is all you can do.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    mental pain can be just as bad if not worse than physical pain.
    I'm not minimizing depression and emotional pain; what I'm saying is that there's hope and recovery from those problems. If you have 3 months to live and you're in agonizing physical pain every hour of the day with no hope of recovery, I think you should be able to pull the plug. I guess I don't necessarily agree with criminalizing suicide either, but I'd rather not lose people with emotional problems/depression/etc. if there's any way that they can get help and recover from them, you know?

Attempted myself a couple of times 10 years ago now. I didn't because I wasn't entirely broken yet. I had a friend and her mom help me out, and I stayed with them for a little while, as I was home alone for those few days anyway.

The thing with suicide is that it's often a hole you're in, and you can't see a way out, and even asking for help is unwanted strain on other people, no matter how much they tell you that they want to help. You see yourself as a burden in everything. Your mere existance is a burden to everyone you know. You have it in your head that you know these things.

The reason why is unlikely to be singular, it's a multitude of things that just continually keep chipping away at you, and it gets internalized. It takes a long time for it to build up until the breaking point, and that kind of depression is very hard to pick up for others.

I don't know everything, but these things are never easy. The reason why, you will most likely never know, unless something was left behind that explains it. It's not any kind of closure, but that's unfortunately how these things tend to be.

For anyone who hasn't been down that hole, and pray that you never have to go through it either, it is difficult to understand.

Just my...20 cents?
    My moms friend killed herself some years back now. She wasn't exactly mentally sound though. Not in the depression sense, but more in the unstable, unhinged kind of way. She was into some more...occult things (not satanism, just general spiritualism), and something just went wrong in her head, she was hospitalized for a while, released, and then she disappeared for a while. They found her in a rented room outside of town, she'd shot herself in the head with a shotgun.

They couldn't keep her in the hospital, don't remember why, but something was definately wrong. My mom said her friend seemed like she was literally possessed by a demon. I'm not blaming spiritualism at all, but the mind is a very powerful thing, and she could've believed that she was, if she was mentally 'wrong' somehow in the first place, and then some catalyst triggered something...

Either way, it was very strange and rather unsettling. Easy for me personally to be distanced, as I didn't know her that well myself, but it definately had an impact on my mom, as it was one of her best friends.

So...if I ever have a friend do this... I'd rather not know why, than having that kind of thing like what my moms friend went through close to me, as that could have a lot more impact if they decide that they want to take someone with them for some reason...

I've been treated for severe illness for some years now with increasing suicidal issues.

Sadly - no treatment available.

Sometimes - suicide is the only option, but jeez - be damn sure before you do it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Because for a lot of people, the attempt is more a cry for help than a serious desire to kill themselves.