Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Immigrants must improve English in two-and-a-half years or face deportation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...portation.html

Prime Minister also says he feels Muslim women should remove full face veil when going to schools or courts where there is official uniform policy

Immigrants will have to demonstrate how they have improved their English after two-and-a-half years or face being deported, David Cameron has said.

The Prime Minister admitted that the crackdown could see families being broken up.
    the changes would apply from October this year to immigrants who arrive in the UK on a spousal visa.

Mr Cameron also said that he felt Muslim women should remove the full face veil when going to schools or courts where there is an official uniform policy.

Currently, immigrant women who come to the UK on a five-year spousal visa have to demonstrate that they can speak basic English.

Under the new plans, Mr Cameron said he would “toughen” up the rules to force them to demonstrate that their English language skills has improved after two-and-a-half years or face deportation.
    What's your opinion? Personally I am pro immigration but completely agree with this

How else are they going to work if they can't even speak the language? So yes this is good imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk about deportation but there should be mandatory lessons in learning the language imo. Where I live the majority of people speak spanish and while that's not a problem for me also speaking the language its annoying when they've lived here for more than 20 years and refuse to learn more besides very basic and slowly spoken english. My own grandmother moved here in 1971 and still can't form an entire english sentence to save her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Idk about deportation but there should be mandatory lessons in learning the language imo. Where I live the majority of people speak spanish and while that's not a problem for me also speaking the language its annoying when they've lived here for more than 20 years and refuse to learn more besides very basic and slowly spoken english. My own grandmother moved here in 1971 and still can't form an entire english sentence to save her life.
    It's the only effective way to get them to do it. Most of them don't give a shit about what they do until the "D" word starts popping up around them.

Since it's UK where English is the primary language, I think immigrants should learn the language as fast as they can. Maybe even check it after 1 year, not 2,5. (since it says they want to check how they improved their English, not if they speak it perfectly)

I didn't have uniforms in my schools, so I don't know how a veil would make that a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    It's rude, immoral and will hurt the economy.
    I fail to see that. It's not rude for a country to require from people that they are able to use the country's language.
    Nothing to do with morality, even if it's "forcing them" to learn a language so they can function properly. And how is any of this hurting the economy? Do you think immigrants will leave if they need to show a bit of english after 2,5 years?
    Last edited by Archon14; 2016-01-20 at 08:23 PM.

I disagree because it's too authoritarian. Forcing people to learn the language instead of just letting it come naturally, and sure break families apart just because a language barrier that will be broken within a generation? Because what that country needs is more broken families with family members living overseas and their families sending the money over there instead of spending it on their own country.

I would had taken advantage of it pretty easily tho, because I learned english in a year. Maybe it would be good if they gave you residency for this, not just to fucking kick you out. The people who say these things must have a lot of issues trying to put in other's people's shoes. Do you even know more languages than your native tongue?
    It's none of the things you name. It's fine but since 'improve' is a ultra subjective standard I don't think it's enough.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree because it's too authoritarian. Forcing people to learn the language instead of just letting it come naturally, and sure break families apart just because a language barrier that will be broken within a generation? Because what that country needs is more broken families with family members living overseas and their families sending the money over there instead of spending it on their own country.

I would had taken advantage of it pretty easily tho, because I learned english in a year. Maybe it would be good if they gave you residency for this, not just to fucking kick you out. The people who say these things must have a lot of issues trying to put in other's people's shoes. Do you even know more languages than your native tongue?
    The issue with 'letting it come naturally' is that for many migrants, it won't. Immigrants tend to stick to their own clades, and this can be very isolating. Often there is no need to learn the language of the country in which one resides as long as they can keep to their own little enclaves. And this is damaging to a society built on shared experiences.

So I would not say it's immoral, or ultimately hurting the economy. Rude? Maybe a bit.

Deleted
    We should generally deport anyone without a London accent. Tried talking to a Geordie, Scouse or Glaswegian?

10+ Year Old Account
    As for full face veils, I agree with a policy that disallows obscuring one's face for official business. I don't think there should be religious exemptions for laws that would otherwise apply to everyone.

Should be a little bit longer, but it sounds about right. Don't want to integrate and/or learn the language of the country hosting you? Kbai.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    How else are they going to work if they can't even speak the language? So yes this is good imo.
    A lot people just create businesses within their booming communities and seldom need to speak english, I see it all the time here. I don't disagree that they should learn the language to integrate but this seems too heavy handed.

I have no problem with this.

Recent events have shown that immigrants/refugees should be integrating into the local culture to avoid problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    It's the only effective way to get them to do it. Most of them don't give a shit about what they do until the "D" word starts popping up around them.
    Well I still think that's a drastic measure but some sort of consequence should come of it. A fine perhaps? I also think a little more time than 2 and a half years. Took me quite a while to learn spanish enough to carry on conversations

I think it's a bit over the top personally, but there's not enough details for me to decide fully.

Are they offering classes to teach? Or are they just throwing them into a river without a boat? Do they just need to show that they're attempting to learn, or do they need to flawlessly know a good amount?

If there's assistance and they're not expecting them to know every nook and cranny, I wouldn't see an issue if it's applied to all immigrants from everywhere.

Deleted
    The immigrants shouldn't be accepted in the first place, only refugees.

Immigrants communities all over the world avoid having to learn the native tongue by having extremely insular communities. This law is a good step towards nudging them towards joining the mainstream culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds reasonable. Two and a half years is more than enough to learn basic language skills. Getting people to learn it is also vital for integration and work force participation.

Difficult situation when it comes to language as there are so many variables. What if the person has a learning disability and has a hard time learning the language - do they get an extension?

Better question, does the people of the country (not super familiar with UK culture) have the cojones to watch a child being ripped from their parents arms while that parent is deported? I mean it is all well and good but if you don't have the will to enforce a law, you are better not making it.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    ~Vernon Howard

"The truly rich are those who enjoy what they have"
    ~Yiddish Proverb

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    If they cant integrate they are just a burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Krzywuz View Post
    The immigrants shouldn't be accepted in the first place, only refugees.
    Err you know that article specifically mentions muslims so it's people being accepted as citizens rather than being kept in uncertain standing.