Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Any good and exceptional books that any of you can recommend?

Hey. So I haven't really read a solid legit book in a long time. Like, I mean, I read articles and specific passages in doctrines and analysis's and this and that, but not a solid story in so long.I read Kite Runner book and Margarat Atwood's: The Handmaiden's Tale and found both of them to be solid, so if anyone can help, please feel free.

Also, I am 22 years old and male. Thanks.

PS. Forgot all about the Book's section in this thread section. Up to the mods if they wish to move the thread there. Again Thanks!

...A Song of Ice and Fire! Someone had to say it!

10+ Year Old Account
    The Count of Monte Cristo. I highly recommend it.

Perks of Being a Wallflower is probably the only book I really enjoyed. It's about a high schooler's adjustment to life, but it should take you back to those times. It's a little sad, but most of the book is just about the high school experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are interested in fantasy genre, then these two series are a must!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn_series

The first one is like "Harry Potter for adults" (not in the sexual sense, mind you ). The second one is quite a heavy book, but the plot is the best I've ever seen anywhere (books, movies, games), and the character development is beyond words.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

In the Dust of this Planet by Eugen Thacker
    Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
    The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman
    An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies by Tyler Cowen
    Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy
    The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap by Matt Taibbi & Molly Crabapple
    The Just City by Jo Walton
    Slice Harvester: A Memoir In Pizza by Colin Atrophy Hagendorf
    The Threshold of Eden by Wendy Isaac Bergin

Those are the books I read this year that are on my desk. I enjoyed them all- In the Dust of this Planet and The Just City most especially.

I also read a few of the Dresden Files books; Storm Front and the second one. They were very fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently on the Well of Ascension. Excellent trillogy so far.
    Putin khuliyo

If you like Sci-Fi or wish to 'dabble in it' I recommend trying one of Isaac Asimov's books that isn't the Foundation series. I'm not saying the Foundation books are bad, but you may have issues getting all of them. So with that said I'll recommend some of his 'obscure' books like Robot Dreams (short stories) or The Gods Themselves. Full disclosure The Gods Themselves is a bit odd for a third of the book and I hated that part, but when it was over I really appreciated it. Try a Half Price Books near you if you have one. They usually have a great assortment of random stuff. That's where I get all my books.

Suggestions: Dorthy Must Die, The Wicked Will Rise, Robot Dreams, The Gods Themselves, Next. Mostly Sci-Fi and the first two are apparently 'young adult', but I enjoyed them as a 30 year old :P

The Night Angel Trilogy was a series I found astoundingly well-crafted. Easy recommendation to anyone from me.

House of Leaves is probably the best work of fiction I've ever read. Not an 'easy' read per se, due to how it's set up, but well worth the time.

Cryptonomicon was also excellent, though I felt that the end was a bit rushed.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The Count of Monte Cristo. I highly recommend it.
    I am going to second this. (Its my favorite book ever). It has elements of action, romance, adventure, etc. all rolled into one. Also Paradise Lost is a good book if you don't mind reading epic poems. Into Thin Air tells a really good story about climbing Mount Everest and all the crazy shit that can happen, and is a true story to boot. The Picture of Dorian Grey is another entertaining read, and a fairly easy one as well.
    Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.
    -- George Bernard Shaw

I'm following this thread extremely closely for good fantasy series. :P

Pawn of Prophecy
    With a Single Spell
    Magic Kingdom for Sale–Sold!
    Another Fine Myth
    White Plume Mountain
    Saga of Old City
    Pool of Radiance

Just some a couple to get you started.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    If you are interested in fantasy genre, then these two series are a must!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn_series

The first one is like "Harry Potter for adults" (not in the sexual sense, mind you ). The second one is quite a heavy book, but the plot is the best I've ever seen anywhere (books, movies, games), and the character development is beyond words.
    to be fair, anything by Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Series author - is spectacular.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Hey. So I haven't really read a solid legit book in a long time. Like, I mean, I read articles and specific passages in doctrines and analysis's and this and that, but not a solid story in so long.I read Kite Runner book and Margarat Atwood's: The Handmaiden's Tale and found both of them to be solid, so if anyone can help, please feel free.

Also, I am 22 years old and male. Thanks.

PS. Forgot all about the Book's section in this thread section. Up to the mods if they wish to move the thread there. Again Thanks!
    It really depends on what type of books you like, meaning genres

https://www.goodreads.com/series/114...he-early-years
    Repairman Jack series is probably the best series I've ever read, its addicting as hell though. I'd start with Cold City/Dark City/Fear City as its one of the first parts of the series and it explains how he becomes an urban mercenary. Its funny and inventive, entertaining and deals with real life events including an encounter with the NY mob. All the characters are well described and entertaining. the book is mostly real but has a touch of sci-fi in it that doesnt overdo it.

http://www.kimharrison.net/TheBooks.html - Kim Harrison's the hollows series. The series is told in the first-person point of view of Rachel Morgan, a detective/bounty hunter witch who works with local law enforcement agencies and faces threats both mundane and supernatural in origin. 13 books in total.
    Its very funny, the main character is quite entertaining and shes always getting into trouble. The neat thing is it still mixes ordinary events of human life within the supernatural. Dead Witch Walking is the first book.

Let me see..here's my list:

Terry Pratchett's books (all of them, he's an amazing author who left us far too early)

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (warning: long)

Steven Erikson's Malazan books (seriously awesome, on par or better than mistborn series imo)

Scott Lynch's Locke Lamora series

Orson Scott Card's Ender books

The Wars of Light and Shadow series by Janny Wurts

Literally all of Raymond E Feist's fantasy books holy cow they're awesome

Echoing the mistborn series recommendations too

Robin Hobb's Fitz/Fool's series

If you want old school sci-fi, try Greg Bear's books

.....I read a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    This one is pretty good, really all I have ever needed.

Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    /lit/ has a great book recommendation wiki page. If you really wanna get into literature, I suggest starting with some of the modern classics:

If you wanna get to the actual source of western literature by which a huge number of books stem from, I highly recommend starting with some of the Greeks (specifically Homer's "Iliad" and "Odyssey", Herodotus' "Histories", Plato's "Republic" (or better yet get the complete works that include the Socratic dialogues), Aristotle's "Metaphysics" and "Nicomachean Ethics", Sophocles' Oedipus plays and Thucydides' "History of the Peloponnesian War", in that order.) I guarantee they will really knock your socks off.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-12-31 at 11:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Gonna give you the same advice as I always give. If you are looking for excellent fantasy, read Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen. It is a series of 10 books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Gonna give you the same advice as I always give. If you are looking for excellent fantasy, read Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen. It is a series of 10 books.
    This is in my to-read list.