Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Zika in Europe: Danish man tests positive for virus

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-34400551.html

A Danish tourist has been infected by the Zika virus after visiting southern and central America, Danish hospital officials said.

The man in his mid-twenties suffered fever, headaches and muscle pain and was tested in the University Hospital in Denmark's second biggest city Aarhus on Tuesday, Professor Lars Ostergaard said.

The doctor said he saw no risk of the disease spreading further in Denmark. "His condition is good, he is recovering and he will be released from the hospital soon," Ostergaard told Reuters.

The mosquito-borne virus has been linked to brain damage in thousands of babies in Brazil. There is no vaccine or treatment for Zika, a close cousin of dengue and chikungunya, which causes mild fever and rash.

An estimated 80 percent of people infected have no symptoms, making it difficult for pregnant women to know whether they have been infected.

Three Britons who travelled to South America have also been infected, health officials said last week.

Health experts say such cases are to be expected in Europe, given the scale of the outbreak in South America and the frequency of international travel.

But Zika is not expected to pose a threat in colder countries since they are not warm enough for the virus-carrying Aedes mosquito to breed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Would someone please who is reasonably intelligent give me an update on this? Is this the Extinction Event, or am I as usual a wee bit overdramatic.
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    Would someone please who is reasonably intelligent give me an update on this? Is this the Extinction Event, or am I as usual a wee bit overdramatic.
    No - they are estimating millions of infected, not billions.

But worse than SARS, MERS, SWINE or Ebola in its reach - they are unsure what the impact will be of course.

Nice FAQ from ABC Australia:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-2...spread/7123596

Here is the danger : "About one in five people infected with the virus become ill. Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week."

That means a lot of spread, because 80% of the infected are carriers but not victims. That's really bad news for the spread, but good news (in a sense) for the infected

On the plus side, it does currently seem to require a specific species (or two) of mosquito as a transmission mechanism.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2016-01-29 at 05:42 AM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    No - they are estimating millions of infected, not billions.

But worse than SARS, MERS, SWINE or Ebola in its reach - they are unsure what the impact will be of course.
    So it will in essence, hobble our future generations.....at least two. In all honesty, did not see this coming. Kudos, M. Knight Shamalayn

So it will in essence, hobble our future generations.....at least two. In all honesty, did not see this coming. Kudos, M. Knight Shamalayn
    Nah - it could be about as big as Malaria, will spread in similar areas - and cause about as much 'end of the world' as Malaria.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nah - it could be about as big as Malaria, will spread in similar areas - and cause about as much 'end of the world' as Malaria.
    The effects on unborn children? That's what I mean by future generations

Glad my gid was already born. And by the look of his big ass dome piece ( inherited from dad) he is good to go.

The effects on unborn children? That's what I mean by future generations
    Well, the effects on unborn children are still not entirely determined, at this stage there isn't any solid science, only some strong suspicions. They have no idea what the chances of effect, the strength of the effect ... just that there is significant empirical data to suggest some kind of link.

Basically - this virus has caught the international community with its pants down, in every respect.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2016-01-29 at 06:23 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, the effects on unborn children are still not entirely determined, at this stage there isn't any solid science, only some strong suspicions. They have no idea what the changes of effect, the strength of the effect ... just that there is significant empirical data to suggest some kind of link.

Basically - this virus has caught the international community with its pants down, in every respect.
    .......so it is possible that it's an Event

10+ Year Old Account
    Except Unlike Malaria or SARS or AIDS or... the rage virus or some shit, this one doesn't really do much towards killing people.

It's the "gives you kind of an itchy rash and joint pains" kind of disease.

The only real worry is its effects on unborn children.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

One of the very 'nice' things about virus transmission generally speaking is that the stronger the effect, the lower the transmission.

A virus needs its victims to be healthy to propagate the virus better, that means very successful virus like the 'common cold' are flexible and do little harm to the victims.

The less successful virus Ebola is very nasty, but because of that can't spread easily - requires contact with dead people to get it pretty much.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Except Unlike Malaria or SARS or AIDS or... the rage virus or some shit, this one doesn't really do much towards killing people.

It's the "gives you kind of an itchy rash and joint pains" kind of disease.

The only real worry is its effects on unborn children.
    That's exactly what an Extinction Event does, it wipes out a species, and destroying a generation or two of the world's children would do it

- - - Updated - - -

One of the very 'nice' things about virus transmission generally speaking is that the stronger the effect, the lower the transmission.

A virus needs its victims to be healthy to propagate the virus better, that means very successful virus like the 'common cold' are flexible and do little harm to the victims.

The less successful virus Ebola is very nasty, but because of that can't spread easily - requires contact with dead people to get it pretty much.
    I hope you are right

That's exactly what an Extinction Event does, it wipes out a species, and destroying a generation or two of the world's children would do it

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you are right
    This is how I know I'm a bit of an asshole.

So long as my kids reproduce fine, I'm totally okay with this. They can recreate a mad max world and hopefully my son will be the war chief collecting untainted babes to mate with.

WAsn't it written somewhere that it might get transmitted sexually? I thought I read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    WAsn't it written somewhere that it might get transmitted sexually? I thought I read that somewhere.
    From what I read, only one case where "maybe" and they're not certain at all that's how it transmitted.

Deleted

Thumbs up

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you are right
    Let's not call this an extinction event before finding out if it even has an effect on unborn children shall we?

Mr. Doomsday

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Let's not call this an extinction event before finding out if it even has an effect on unborn children shall we?

Mr. Doomsday
    See above for admission of chicken little status in the OP

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is a mild disease with no known fatalities and lasts about a week.

People need to stop fear-mongering this shit like it is some super dangerous disease. You are more likely to die of a common cold.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    It is a mild disease with no known fatalities and lasts about a week.

People need to stop fear-mongering this shit like it is some super dangerous disease. You are more likely to die of a common cold.
    I'm not afraid of catching it. I'm afraid of every-EVERY-pregnant woman catching it. We'd be done. In a single generation

Deleted
    I'm not afraid of catching it. I'm afraid of every-EVERY-pregnant woman catching it. We'd be done. In a single generation
    why? the virus leaves the women's bodies eventually and they'd abort the malformed child and get pregnant again..