Poll: ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Should the Internet be monitored and censored?

I think it should. The internet has gone out of hand imo. Trolling and anonymous flaming is becoming a huge problem since they cause suicide and a global wide team to monitor people as well causing illegal things should be monitored. Everyone should have their names visible such as Andrew W. with their middle name hidden and last named with the first letter only to prevent identity theft. It would be easier to catch thieves, find people's location for medical reasons and a number of other helpful things. Do you agree?

I have permission from Mallsecurity to post his quote.

I am in all agreement about an HONEST free exchange of Ideas, but there comes a point you have to realize that some bullshit ideas are a choice, and are never going to change.

So the question is, do you make everybody else a slave to these stupid ideas, or do you finally just come to the realization that the only way for these dumb ideas to be dealt with is to simply stop entertaining them as logical or rational.

And before you say, I AM wrong, LOOK at the world around you NOW, and tell me that there isn't a real war of Ideas, and some ideas that should have died a long time ago.

Because Honestly, I think on some level part of the reason we have the problems we do, is because ALL IDEAS and Thoughts are considered equal or even valuable.

Bottom line they aren't.

Death threats, bullying, saying anything and everything you want online is NOT making the online or the world a better place.
    Last edited by TheramoreIsTheBomb; 2015-12-30 at 06:36 PM.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Come online and hurt peoples feelings? NO

Come online to make vile threats, spread hatred, or incite violence towards others? Yep
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    No, we don't need some kind of thought police and 1984 esque censorship aswell as persecution just because people having different opinions offends some.

Internet is just a network. The protocols are known.
    If you manage to censor that network, we'll get another one.
    Good luck placing doors on an open field.

Deleted
    No, go live in north korea if you want to have censorship.

I think people should be allowed to say what ever they want on the internet. It should also be monitored for things that would be considered illegal off the internet and have action taken.(Threats ect)

No. Any public forum should be free and open, and the internet is a public forum. We have existing laws to punish aberrant behavior, and they by-and-large work.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Come online and hurt peoples feelings? NO

Come online to make vile threats, spread hatred, or incite violence towards others? Yep
    People kill themselves over the internet bullies you know.

no goddamn way sister.

Nope. I am in favor of free information and idea exchange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    True, but there is a a huge difference between me calling you for example a jerk face, and hurting your feelings, and calling you a jerk face every 5 mins, encouraging others to do the same, and trying to harass you as much as I can online, until I can do it offline aswell.

That is what I mean't by "Yep" when it comes to spreading hatred or inciting violence towards others.

However people simply saying stuff that other people don't like or they are offended by NO, I don't think the Internet should be monitored or censored for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    No. Any public forum should be free and open, and the internet is a public forum. We have existing laws to punish aberrant behavior, and they by-and-large work.
    I do agree it should be free and open but monitoring for threats and the like i would not have anything against. Though no censorship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Nope. I am in favor of free information and idea exchange.

Fuck THAT, there are some dumb ass ideas, better off not ever being exchanged, ISIS, being a pretty damn good example.

The internet is monitored already. If you want censored internet you could move to China though. Also I voted on the poll as to what the situation is currently when I meant to just vote no.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    True, but there is a a huge difference between me calling you for example a jerk face, and hurting your feelings, and calling you a jerk face every 5 mins, encouraging others to do the same, and trying to harass you as much as I can online, until I can do it offline aswell.
    That is exactly what people do to me 24/7

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    The internet is monitored already. If you want censored internet you could move to China though.
    No it is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, but im okay with some crazies ending themselves at a .0000000001% rate.

Suicides because of "internet bullies" can probably be counted on one hand every year.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Censorship should only be allowed when there is a world crisis on our hands which creates this band wagon of holier-than-though, throwing stones from a glass house cult of hypocrites who are constantly in your face about how they're morally superior yet suffer from intense tunnel vision.

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is exactly what people do to me 24/7
    - - - Updated - - -
    No it is not.
    Well unlike the rest of these hypocrites under some delusion they aren't already monitored and censored and have been for the better part of the last century, I voted Yes, the Internet should be monitored and censored, hell if I had my way about it, I would come up with a government algorithm that could isolate track and target some of these people online so they could be rounded up and tagged.

I am personally all for controlling thought, because some peoples thoughts are really not worth having.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monitored? Yes.

Censored? Never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Maybe, but im okay with some crazies ending themselves at a .0000000001% rate.

Suicides because of "internet bullies" can probably be counted on one hand every year.
    You do realise that those "crazies" could be anyone though? Not everyone responds equally well to anxiety or depression. And with the scale of internet bullying sometimes it may feel like there is no recourse for a normal life. Who gets to choose who is "crazy" anyway? People that kill themselves by and large mostly suffer from anxiety and depression rather than severe psychotic conditions.