10+ Year Old Account

[Build Help] Video card died, time for some upgrades.

When I built my computer it was with my ex boyfriend's help a little over 3 years ago. I haven't changed anything or had any major issues since. I've been thinking about getting some upgrades for awhile, and sure enough my video card completely died last night.

What I'd like some advice on is given the current setup and the age of my system, with economizing in mind, what parts would you replace if this were yours? I don't want to buy a brand new CPU for example if the current one is still great compared to what's available now. I'm still very much a PC building beginner and haven't really kept up with what's changed in the last few years.

My current build:

The case isn't included because I can't find it on PCPartPicker or anywhere, it's an old ULTRA case. It's served its purpose but I'm going to replace it for sure in favour of something with better cable management/dust protection/noise reduction. Still using Windows 8.1

Other info...

What kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)

1920x1080 resolution, one monitor (second isn't in the budget at the moment). I'd like to mostly play WoW on ultra settings with a high fps. I was getting around 85fps with the old card. Most other games (Witcher 3, Skyrim, Tomb Raider reboots; your typical popular Steam titles except stuff like CS:GO). Not really interested in overclocking.

What is your budget?

It kind of depends on how many parts I'm replacing, but I'd like to stay under $250 for a new video card (absolutely no more than $300). Under $100 for the case, $150 for the mobo if it's necessary. I'd like to add an SSD for around $100. I think the CPU is fine. So ballpark $500 for upgrades.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

Canada

tl;dr Video card died, looking to upgrade some parts when I replace it and add an SSD. Need help deciding what needs to go and what can stay.

Deleted
    hi there;
    IMO you dont need to replace anything besides ur dead GPU, and if WoW is your priority i would buy Nvidia gtx 960, since blizzard games have always run better with nvidia, BUT the AMD r9 380 is slightly better gpu than the 960 no questions ask; both are arround ur price

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($113.05 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($298.50 @ Vuugo)
    Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($126.19 @ Amazon Canada)
    Total: $537.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-07 18:46 EST-0500

edit* forgot to write, this case and the gpu are ment to be quiet ones or help to reduce the noise; if u want to get the AMD get one with aftermarket cooler to help with the noise levels
    Last edited by mmocc274989594; 2016-02-08 at 01:12 AM.

Deleted
    I agree with poster above, ssd/960/case and a new good psu. I don't think the asus gpu is worth it, sure its a little more quiet but the difference is too much while its clocked lower as well. You can get an aftermarket. cpu cooler if you haven't one with that difference.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($113.05 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($238.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.00 @ Vuugo)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.13 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $551.17
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-08 02:45 EST-0500

edit: If you are indeed using the cpu stock cooler and you want something that isn't very expensive but will cool it better while being quiet have a look at this one.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-02-08 at 07:50 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The replacement for your CPU in the current lineup is the i5-6600k. And it's BARELY faster than yours (something like 5%, and that's assuming you didn't overclock yours - you can erase the difference by overclocking a little bit). There is no performance difference between DDR3 and DDR4 in games either, so you wouldn't benefit from that switch either. DDR4 has more headroom and it's possible that later on software will be able to take better advantage of it, but right now nothing does. Really I would say you are good on everything except the GPU. The build above looks good...although I would look around to see if you can get deals on a 970 rather than sticking with the 960. I've seen really good deals on 970's before, I'm pretty sure I've seen them under $300 before.

Deleted
    Except he is in Canada Akai, so sub 300 for a 970 is very very unlikely