Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can ignore feature hide the ignored person completely?

On a lot of other forums when you ignore someone, the system basically does one of two things:

1. Makes both users invisible to each other, like neither knows the other exists anymore
    2. There is no "you have ignored this user" spam in a thread

I have one particular poster recently who was made aware they were being ignored and now they have made it a point to basically reply to every single last thing I post just about.

When I ignore someone I don't want them to exist period, not see "this user has posted something but you have them ignored" after every single post I make.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-11-25 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    This wasn't the best thing for you to do. Telling the person they're on ignore, will likely only make them want to respond to you more, in hopes that you will read their posts, to upset you even more and to prove that you can't really ignore them. Don't tell them you're putting them on ignore - they shouldn't know you have. Doing so will cause less drama for the both of you.
    Well lesson learned for sure. And I haven't read anything they have said, but the "this user has posted something but you have them ignored" spam is stupid.

I love forums where when you ignore one party, it basically puts in a two way ignore system so neither user can see the other period.

I don't use the ignore feature very often on forums, but on rare occasion I do I'd like it to be clean and crisp and work in the background, not remind me everytime that person posts that I have them ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly not how it works. The ignore system goes two ways, you can ignore people and they can ignore you. It can't, nor shouldn't be forced that one person can ignore another, and then by system dominance, force the other to ignore him.

Of course, dislike the little bar of nothing you see from ignored people, as well as deleted comments.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sadly not how it works. The ignore system goes two ways, you can ignore people and they can ignore you. It can't, nor shouldn't be forced that one person can ignore another, and then by system dominance, force the other to ignore him.

Of course, dislike the little bar of nothing you see from ignored people, as well as deleted comments.
    I would be OK with the one way ignore system if the system didn't feel the need to remind me someone has been ignored every time they post. This is actually the only forum I am on that uses this system. So it may be normal, I've just never encountered it on the dozen or so forums I belong to.

Don't count on this site being updated anytime soon, I can't even remember the last thing that was changed.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I would be OK with the one way ignore system if the system didn't feel the need to remind me someone has been ignored every time they post. This is actually the only forum I am on that uses this system. So it may be normal, I've just never encountered it on the dozen or so forums I belong to.
    Seen many others that does worse, though. As I agreed with you, the little bar of announcement that the user is ignored gets a bit tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Don't count on this site being updated anytime soon, I can't even remember the last thing that was changed.
    Well, problem is, the site gets updated when there is things able to be updated. Some of the ideas people come with takes longer. Then again, I'm not Bibi or Chaud to answer, but I recall them mentioning a bit about it once.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

or Grow thicker skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    or Grow thicker skin.
    That isn't the answer, that is a weak answer to solve a problem if it is worse than just disagreements.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    or Grow thicker skin.
    I very rarely use the ignore function. This is the very first person I've put on ignore since I joined MMO-C and there quite a few obnoxious people on here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure you can add a filter to your Ad Blocker to filter out that piece of HTML.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    I'm sure you can add a filter to your Ad Blocker to filter out that piece of HTML.
    Interesting.... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    This works for Adblock Plus.

Open your ABP settings and add this custom filter:
    Code:
    mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored

Now you won't even see that anyone you ignored has posted but you will notice that a post# was skipped.

You can temporarily disable the filter by going into ABP and unticking the enabled box of the filter.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    This works for Adblock Plus.

Open your ABP settings and add this custom filter:
    Code:
    mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored

Now you won't even see that anyone you ignored has posted but you will notice that a post# was skipped.

You can temporarily disable the filter by going into ABP and unticking the enabled box of the filter.

This post needs to be sticked to the top of every sub forum.

Holy crap. Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely updating my Adblocker! Thanks, Twoddle!

Although, I kinda like the option of "unignoring" a specific post with a single click. Makes it easier to see if the person is still a jackass :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Definitely updating my Adblocker! Thanks, Twoddle!

Although, I kinda like the option of "unignoring" a specific post with a single click. Makes it easier to see if the person is still a jackass :P
    In my case, the user in question has quoted me no less than 30+ times since they went on ignore. I never directly responded to them, but I wanted to confirm what I figured was happening. It takes a special kind of person to hold a one way conversation over that many threads.

But alas, I just confirmed, the above fix made him disappear from view period. No more spam! Yippie!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    In my case, the user in question has quoted me no less than 30+ times since they went on ignore. I never directly responded to them, but I wanted to confirm what I figured was happening. It takes a special kind of person to hold a one way conversation over that many threads.

But alas, I just confirmed, the above fix made him disappear from view period. No more spam! Yippie!
    Gotta admit, part of me is morbidly curious enough to consider going through your history to find this poster. Probably won't, but the idea DOES tempt a bit...
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Then you are reminded why you ignored them in the first place . Personally I don't put people on ignore it's all a game here anyway, there are other more grown up forums if you wanna be serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    For some reason,ignored people's topics are still visable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    For some reason,ignored people's topics are still visable.
    I don't think that'll change, nor is there hopes to change that. A topic is still a topic on a discussion forum after all.