Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Has there ever been a villain in a story/game/show who's motives you've agreed with?

Has there ever been a villain in a story/game/show who's motives you've agreed with?
    1. Which story/game/show were they from?
    2. What was their point point of view?
    3. Why did you agree with them?
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

Snape was a misunderstood villain.

In Hunter X Hunter there was this ant king super villain who was very interesting. He had the moral of an ant which is no moral code at all but then he experienced personal growth as the story progressed. Very well done and one of the things you'd only see in an anime show.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Plenty of 'root for the bad guy' scenarios... Walter White being the most obvious.

7+ Year Old Account
    I thought Aman from Avatar had an agreeable outlook
    In the show a portion of humanity was given the ability to control elements, while other's were just normal humans.

Aman thought it wasn't right that the people who could control elements were given special treatment for their abilities.

Later in the show he turned out to be batshit crazy but until that happened he had some pretty good ideals.

Deleted
    Gul Dukat.
    yes i know.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Plenty of 'root for the bad guy' scenarios... Walter White being the most obvious.
    I like how the cause of that show is how messed up America's Health Care system was at the time lol.

I didn't quite agree with him, but....
    Raistlin Majere from Weis and Hickman's Dragonlance series. He wanted to be a god because he believed that the gods didn't care. And I think every reader cheered him because we all saw through his eyes.

Deleted
    The Colonel from Avatar.
    Humans > Blue space indians.

Light from Deathnote.

For some reason, I kept feeling bad for the guy, because he started off doing what he was doing, IMO, the right thing. Using that power to kill criminals who were obviously guilty but couldn't be proven guilty, in my mind, is fine. Yes, its still murder, but there are plenty of superheroes we idolize that kill bad guys, that escaped the jail system.

Then he got afraid of being caught and got a god complex. No help from anyone around him of course.
    I guess I really felt for him, because he was alone. If he would have had more people around him trying to tell him, it is okay, and we are here for you, he probably would have stopped.

I guess this is really the only bad guy, that I couldn't come up with a reason to hate.

Deleted
    Many of the "villains" from Nier, especially during the second playthrough.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    The Colonel from Avatar.

Yeah!

ZoD from superman comes to mind too, I don't agree with ZoD because humans are awesome. But, I can see why he'd place the preservation of his race over that of another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tons. None that come to mind immediately, but I'm more pragmatic than I think a lot of books and movies want you to be. They want to romanticize the small guy fighting the big guy and I'm always thinking - do it. Take the money. Kill that person and save 10,000 more. Stop being so ridiculously principled.

Dumbledore from Harry Potter.

His point of view was to take a child, have them emotionally battered, then thrust into a world where he becomes the ultimate in trusted figures, mold the child through various deadly tasks, all to culminate in a situation where the child develops a sacrifice-mentality to see will be willing to kill himself so someone else can defeat the other dark lord in the series.

I agree with them because we should always be willing to sacrifice the happiness and well-being of a child for our strange worldviews.

But in all honestly, I can't think of a villain whose motives I actually agree with. I mean, there's been a lot of villains who do things "for the greater good" of whatever, but it generally doesn't balance out the means.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    The Colonel from Avatar.
    I saw him more as a Christopher Columbus to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every once in a while I'll crack open a book where it turns out someone was murdered because they were about to spill a secret that would put national security at risk and cost untold numbers of lives. So a government agent or agency orders their death for the greater good.

That's as close as I can get. "Villain" implies evil, and I have a hard time agreeing with evil. Murdering one innocent person to save untold lives is still murder, but I'm not sure where to draw the line on if I'd call that evil, if the only other option is to let them go.

Also, I have a strong tendency to play video games with fairly well defined morals and ethics. Remember that one game where Link sided with the forces of darkness? No? That's because it never happened. Letting Molag Bal come to Nirn? Not letting that happen. Letting Yu Yevon and/or Sin end all life on Spira? Nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would the Lannisters be considered villains in the GoT universe? I don't particularly agree with them but Stannis is a huge jack ass who I'd like to see lose. But then again everyones pretty shitty in that universe.

Magus from Chrono trigger.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Every once in a while I'll crack open a book where it turns out someone was murdered because they were about to spill a secret that would put national security at risk and cost untold numbers of lives. So a government agent or agency orders their death for the greater good.

That's as close as I can get. "Villain" implies evil, and I have a hard time agreeing with evil. Murdering one innocent person to save untold lives is still murder, but I'm not sure where to draw the line on if I'd call that evil, if the only other option is to let them go.

Also, I have a strong tendency to play video games with fairly well defined morals and ethics. Remember that one game where Link sided with the forces of darkness? No? That's because it never happened. Letting Molag Bal come to Nirn? Not letting that happen. Letting Yu Yevon and/or Sin end all life on Spira? Nope.
    Aha, I'll agree. Ganondorf is a royal dick who's evil for the sake of being evil.
    But in some work (more common in recent games/stories/shows) it seems like things are more Grey than black and white. Leading me to actually understand and sympathize with a few villains.

Tom from Tom and Jerry is the only old show that comes to mind.
    He just wanted to treat his owner's right and Jerry was just a fuckin' shit disturber. Fuck that little mouse. He's a royal cunt.

Smile

Nox from the season 1 in the animated serie wakfu ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GttP6wW3qDY for an exemple of this serie, which is GOOD but sometimes has the same problem as avatar the first serie : dont know if they go full teenager cuz the channel think its for little childrens - ALSO A NOTE : THIS ENGLISH DUB IS REALLY BAD, SEARCH ANOTHER ONE)
    Its a normal clockmaker until he found by accident a cube from another ancient civilization who is TOO MUCH for him/everyone except the race in question. The cube help him develloping power from his race (For a xelor, power is somewhat a control of the time like speed or slow down each second) but obsess him to the point of neglecting is family like a nasty drug, even when he try desperatly to go cuz his family quit him.
    In time, he find out is family died in a catastrophic flood and that was the final push that made him go crazy, he thn decide to find the way to come back in time to save and reunite with his family even if it mean destroy everything ; because if it happens, everything will be resolved, and if not, he dont care.
    Even if the story like this look bland, the character in the episode when you see hes creepy, but he seriously miss his family, and it even have time when you SEE that he KNOW what all he do his pure evil, but he dont care cuz he think hes right in his idea.

One of the thing that i like too about him his is voice in french who is absolutely crazy and badass, all the musical theme like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNkfqjnPv8 and THE FUCKING WAY HES ANIMATED AND HES MOVE. Its like a clock when he move his lmb sometimes its just fucking perfect.

Also, theyre a full movie apart from the serie but in traditionnal animation with a japanese artist with another style. I suggest looking at this after the s1.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuJx1LxvZO8

Im happy if i can have helped someone who looked for a little good animated serie (only 2 season 1 movie and 5 oav cuz the maker are french and were not fullly supported by the buyer channel it seem :/ )
    Last edited by telygroar; 2016-02-12 at 03:42 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Same with the Trix Rabbit, (although I'd put him as more of an antagonist than a villain)
    All he wanted was some cereal, sure he could have gone to the store but those kids didn't need to torture the rabbit. Just let him have some cereal.