Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Systemic Oppression for Dummies

EDIT: Feelings were hurt. You're not dumb. Watch the vid, discuss.

The knowledge is out there, if you can stop being offended long enough to listen.

Part of the TRANSCRIPT:
    TIM WISE: I want to thank all of you for coming out. I want to start off by telling you that
    I think it is probably a good idea when somebody stands in front of you and is
    proclaimed by virtue of their bio and by virtue of their curriculum vitae, their resume, that
    part of which is read to you, by way of their nice comments made of them by others,
    proclaim to be an expert. Ask yourself why it is that you are listening to that person and
    not somebody else. In this culture, we are lead to believe that if someone stands before
    you, a proclaimed expert, that it must be that they are the brightest bulbs in the box –
    that they know something that the other people don’t know.
    I am not standing in front of you, and you are not listening to me, because I am the most
    informed person in the country on racism or white privilege, not because I am the best
    speaker on the subject. I am fairly good, and I intend to demonstrate that to you amply
    in the next hour. It isn’t because I am the best writer on the subject, though I am ok with
    that as well. It is instead because I, and I know this, fit the aesthetic that is needed on
    too many campuses and too many communities around the country in order to come in
    and give this talk.
    Nothing that I am going to say tonight, or at least very little, originated in my head.
    Nothing that I am going to say tonight, or at least very little, is in fact new. Almost every
    single thing that I am going to say this evening is wisdom that has been shared with me
    either patiently, or sometimes not so patiently, by people of color who have in almost
    every instance forgotten more about the subjects of racism and white privilege since
    breakfast yesterday than I will likely ever know, and yet they will not be asked to give
    eighty five engagements around the country this year or next on this subject. Not
    because they have not the wisdom to do it but because privilege, the subject that I’ll
    deal with tonight, bestows upon me that advantage, and so, as a matter of responsibility
    and accountability, I have to own that up front so that when you go away from this, this
    evening, thinking to yourself, “My goodness that was good,” and that is my subliminal
    way of telling you that you are going to think its just great. And when you go away from
    here thinking that I have filled your heads with all this great knowledge and wisdom,
    please know that it is not mine. And then, next time you hear it from a person of color,
    MEDIA EDUCATION FOUNDATION | www.MEDIAED.org
    Thistranscript maybe reproduced for educational, non-profit uses only.
    © 2008
    the next time it is shared with you, for those in the audience particularly who are white,
    the next time it is shared with you by a person of color, as it will be and as it has been in
    one form of another, please listen to it, and please know that it is from that source that I
    get virtually all of my material. We will know that we have made progress only on that
    day when a person of color can get up and give the talk that I am about to give and be
    taken half as seriously as I expect to be taken.
    THE ERASURE OF RACE IN POLITICS & CULTURE
    WISE: It is interesting to see so many people come out to these events because, to
    hear some people tell it, you would think that this conversation was almost wholly
    unnecessary. To pay attention to the American political process, and what the
    candidates for this nation’s highest office have to say and not say about the issues that
    are of importance to them and thus we are to presume importance to the Nation, you
    would get the impression that the issue of race, that the issue of racism, that the issue
    of discrimination, and certainly that the issue of white racial privilege were non existent
    issues; that they were of really no importance, or that of very little importance, because
    you will not hear and have not heard any of the candidates for the presidency of the
    United States, in either party, of whatever political ideology, make this an issue. Yes,
    they talk about poverty and occasionally they talk about schooling and education. They
    talk about healthcare. They talk about all of those things, but not once have any of those
    candidates tried to directly connect the role that racism, the role that racial
    discrimination, the role that institutional racial oppression and white privilege play in
    regard to health care, in regard to housing, in regard to schooling. It is as if those issues
    exist in a vacuum and have no relationship to color, have no relationship to race, have
    no relationship to a history of racial subordination.
    What does it say, about our Nation’s political process, and about our Nation’s political
    and social culture, that none of these candidates for political office has seen fit to tell the
    American public the following things? All of which you would think would be campaign
    issues of some importance, at least to some people, and yet they won’t say them. Why
    is it that none of them mention, that it was last year, 2006, not 1996, not 1986, not 1976,
    or 1966, but 2006 which witnessed the highest number of race based housing
    discrimination complaints in recorded history? The fair housing act was passed in 1968,
    the year of my birth, and yet it was not 1968 that witnessed the highest level of
    discrimination complaints based on race. It was 38 years later, in 2006.
    What does it say about our culture and the politicians, the choices we’ve been given for
    leader of the so-called free world, that none of these candidates sees fit to mention, as
    they talk about health care, which is a subject they do talk about with some regularity,
    what does it say that none of them mention the research that was published in the
    American Journal of Public Health in 2004, which had looked at ten years of excess
    mortality data for African Americans, from 1991-2000, looking at the number of black
    MEDIA EDUCATION FOUNDATION | www.MEDIAED.org
    Thistranscript maybe reproduced for educational, non-profit uses only.
    © 2008
    folks who had died above and beyond the number that would have died, but for their
    blackness, in effect, and the social and economic conditions that ascribe and essentially
    adhere to blackness in this country? And what they found in this study, which received
    almost no media attention again, published in an academic journal, not read by the
    average American, not read by political candidates, read by doctors and people who
    research the health care industry, but that’s about it. This study found that between
    1991 and 2000, there were almost one million black people in this country who died who
    would not have died had they merely been white and had the average health care
    quality and access of the typical white person in this country, had they been living in
    neighborhoods, like white neighborhoods, in which the levels of exposure to toxicity had
    been as low as it is in the typical white neighborhood, as opposed to excess exposure to
    toxics, pollutants, etc. in black and brown spaces. Almost one million excess dead
    people, in this case black folks, who wouldn’t have died had the system of health care
    access and exposure to toxins been equal between white folks and black folks. How is a
    million dead black people not news? You see, if James Bird gets dragged to death
    behind a truck in Jasper, Texas, you will hear about that and well you should. If one
    individual is the victim of a vicious hate crime, you will hear about that and well you
    should. But if nearly one million people die, not because of bigotry, not because of
    hatred, not because of some white supremacy organization, but because of systemic
    and institutionalized injustice, you will not hear anything.
    How is it not news, and why are no candidates mentioning...
    Full transcript (S/O to Gadion): https://www.mediaed.org/assets/produ...script_137.pdf
    Last edited by Styxz; 2016-02-26 at 10:43 PM.

#WhiteLivesMatter

But seriously, whatever you want to chalk it down to, I'm not going to back and support groups who fight for equality, by using oppression themselves. I'm looking at you, #BlackLivesMatter ...

10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DW for those of you who are interested.

*ahem*

Rabble rabble rabble, nonsense, rabble, feel bad because you're white.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    #WhiteLivesMatter

But seriously, whatever you want to chalk it down to, I'm not going to back and support groups who fight for equality, by using oppression themselves. I'm looking at you, #BlackLivesMatter ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

*ahem*

50+ minute video, responses in the negative within minutes of posting. -_-

Watch the vid guys. Seriously. You might learn something.

An hour long video of some self hating loser.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Tim "I live in a 90% white area and complain about white people" Wise

Yeah, nah.
    Working on my next ban.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post

Nah, not watching it. Have watched many of the same type of "lectures", and it always boils down to the same ridiculous nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account

If I told you to watch an hour long video of Patrick yelling LEEDLE LEEDLE LEE, because you might learn something, would you?
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

I love this new tactic of SJWs trying to call other people offended in a derogatory way, as if their whole MO wasn't based around being offended. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post
    If I told you to watch an hour long video of Patrick yelling LEEDLE LEEDLE LEE, because you might learn something, would you?
    If you find me an hour long video of someone leveling legit criticism at this vid, or at the idea of systemic oppression in general, yeah I would actually.

You only need to watch the first ~4 minutes to get the gist of where he is going with the topic. Whatever "facts" and "truths" he's going to pull out, it's being pulled out his ass. I absolutely agree that there are situations where being White does get you an advantage, but there is a seriously dangerous growing social movement against being White, that it's something we ought to be ashamed of.

And as I said, I refuse to support or even give these people any consideration until they stop the self-loathing, emotional side show of nonsense. You don't get to scream and cry about systemic abuse and racism, yet demand systemic changes and racial profiling against white people.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

*ahem*

Thought so. Thanks for the heads up.

If you find me an hour long video of someone leveling legit criticism at this vid, or at the idea of systemic oppression in general, yeah I would actually.
    You aren't looking very hard if you can't find criticisms of a silly unfalsifiable idea.
    Working on my next ban.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Pile of shit.

These white guilt freaks are making us look pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I love this new tactic of SJWs trying to call other people offended in a derogatory way, as if their whole MO wasn't based around being offended. Good stuff.
    Play ground debate tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post
    an hour long video of Patrick yelling LEEDLE LEEDLE LEE
    Last edited by Hyve; 2016-02-26 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Old link wasn't working.

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Keep on shining, you glorious bastard.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

I'm pretty sure the Drunken Peasants played part of this video and tore into it before.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Are you too horribly surprised that people are starting to say 'fuck it'? There's no winning with these people, even if you go to the center of town and flagellate yourself, they'll just say that it's a token gesture, that you aren't really 'sorry'.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Oh look there is that buzzword again, white privilege.

Fucking dipshits, how dare they have all that white privilege. Us good white people need to stand up for the poor black people.