Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

CRZ might be the cause of rude players and everyone being so unfriendly now

CRZ causes people to hate players by level100, imo. I'll explain why:

You ding level10 and enter your first CRZ zone and try to quest. You see mobs for your quest and go to tag it, some player steals it. This keeps happening, player after player keeps stealing your quest mobs. You start to think of how to solve this problem - you get an idea! You should invite these people to your group and share credit! You try to, invitation declined. Invitation declined. Decline after decline, no one wants to group up. You start to get frustrated.

Quest after quest, this just keeps happening. You start to dislike seeing other players. They're taking your mobs, they're taking your quest items, they're gathering your nodes. You hate seeing other players.

As you continue to level, you hate them even more. You start to despise them, you want no one around, other players are nothing but a nuisance for you. They simply make everything take longer and more annoying to do. You hate standing around because of other people stealing everything.

You progress further, you're now in an expansion zone, TBC. You start to see people of the opposite faction. If you're on a pvp server, you start to get camped and killed by random level 100's on servers you don't even know exist. Even if you're on a PVE server, you aren't safe. You can't accept or turn in quests, your quest NPC's are being camped by bored level 100's and are perpetually dead. You need to do these quests because they chain, you can't do them. You cannot quest until this person gets bored of another level 100 comes and kills them.

You like other players even less, not only do you hate your own faction, but you hate the enemy faction now too.

You finally get 100, You need to group with others to continue to progress, but you have this deep seeded hatred of other players from competing over mobs for 100 levels. You get angry at people for silly reasons, you treat people badly and act really mean to them. You've become too accustomed to hating other people being around, this makes it extremely hard for you to be nice and treat others with respect.

This is why people treat players badly, this is why so many people are rude. The game causes it, due to CRZ's awful design.

TLDR: You're forced to compete with other players for 100 levels of questing for nodes, quest items, and mobs. People won't group up with you to share credit, the opposite faction is camping your quest NPC's so you can't turn in or accept quests. You eventually HATE having other people around and want nothing to do with them. Then you ding 100 and you NEED other people around and require them to progress your character, but it's too late. You're too used to not wanting them around and it makes it VERY hard for you to be nice, respectful, and understanding. You just treat other people like garbage because you felt treated like garbage for 100 levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really time for everyone to acknowledge the fact that being an asshole is a matter of personal behavior and less a function of some game feature. There were assholes in vanilla, BC, and every expansion after that. In the gaming community at large WoW has always been seen as a community that has never been on its best behavior. For fuck's sake: Most of the people that talk about how wonderful realm communities were rarely fail to mention how satisfying it was to blackball some player and eventually drive them off the realm. "Ah, for the good old days when we could lynch someone off the realm because they hit the wrong need/greed button." CRZ has little to do with people being jerks and assholes and quite a lot to do with jerks and assholes being what they are.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-03-06 at 09:48 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's really time for everyone to acknowledge the fact that being an asshole is a matter of personal behavior and less a function of some game feature. There were assholes in vanilla, BC, and every expansion after that. In the gaming community at large WoW has always been seen as a community that has never been on its best behavior. For fuck's sake: Most of the people that talk about how wonderful realm communities were rarely fail to mention how satisfying it was to blackball some player and eventually drive them off the realm. So CRZ has little to do with people being jerks and quite a lot to do with jerks and assholes being jerks and assholes.

Exactly. If someone was an asshole, they didn't get into groups, raids, or guilds. Now, people can be asshats with impunity. And it isn't CRZ, because that didn't come out until what? Sometime in Mists? If you're going to blame a feature for people being able to be shitheads without repercussions, blame LFG.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

I dunno, you could be a dick on the 2 servers I've played on and still make/join groups because most of that was just talk.

"It's not my fault, it's blizzard's fault" thread #142345

It looks like you're playing the wrong type of game
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post

You ding level10 and enter your first CRZ zone and try to quest. You see mobs for your quest and go to tag it, some player steals it. This keeps happening, player after player keeps stealing your quest mobs. You start to think of how to solve this problem - you get an idea! You should invite these people to your group and share credit! You try to, invitation declined. Invitation declined. Decline after decline, no one wants to group up. You start to get frustrated.

Quest after quest, this just keeps happening. You start to dislike seeing other players. They're taking your mobs, they're taking your quest items, they're gathering your nodes. You hate seeing other players.

As you continue to level, you hate them even more. You start to despise them, you want no one around, other players are nothing but a nuisance for you. They simply make everything take longer and more annoying to do. You hate standing around because of other people stealing everything.

You progress further, you're now in an expansion zone, TBC. You start to see people of the opposite faction. If you're on a pvp server, you start to get camped and killed by random level 100's on servers you don't even know exist. Even if you're on a PVE server, you aren't safe. You can't accept or turn in quests, your quest NPC's are being camped by bored level 100's and are perpetually dead. You need to do these quests because they chain, you can't do them. You cannot quest until this person gets bored of another level 100 comes and kills them.

You like other players even less, not only do you hate your own faction, but you hate the enemy faction now too.

You finally get 100, You need to group with others to continue to progress, but you have this deep seeded hatred of other players from competing over mobs for 100 levels. You get angry at people for silly reasons, you treat people badly and act really mean to them. You've become too accustomed to hating other people being around, this makes it extremely hard for you to be nice and treat others with respect.

This is why people treat players badly, this is why so many people are rude. The game causes it, due to CRZ's awful design.

TLDR: You're forced to compete with other players for 100 levels of questing for nodes, quest items, and mobs. People won't group up with you to share credit, the opposite faction is camping your quest NPC's so you can't turn in or accept quests. You eventually HATE having other people around and want nothing to do with them. Then you ding 100 and you NEED other people around and require them to progress your character, but it's too late. You're too used to not wanting them around and it makes it VERY hard for you to be nice, respectful, and understanding. You just treat other people like garbage because you felt treated like garbage for 100 levels.
    I do agree CRZ needs to be removed.. isn't that why you have players on your own server and guild to help you with no need to have other servers hogging quest zones and or mobs, thena gainw ithout crz we wouldnt be able to use the pre macde group finder for world bosses etc etc.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

I agree with: There have been douchebags since day one. Even before. Before WoW ever existed, douchebags in games existed. People who don't care about YOUR progress, they just want the mob etc. and are antisocial as Hell.

I also agree though: CRZ causes people to give no care to their reputation. Pre-cross realm anything days, there were people on my (piss awful) server who no decent players would invite. Now nobody cares because you're unlikely to ever see anyone in that zone or dungeon again.

I should also add though that you're discussing an issue of CRZ when people take your mobs non-stop, but that's always been an issue on anything higher-populated.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    I do agree CRZ needs to be removed.. isn't that why you have players on your own server and guild to help you with no need to have other servers hogging quest zones and or mobs, thena gainw ithout crz we wouldnt be able to use the pre macde group finder for world bosses etc etc.
    CRZ was implemented to stop people on shit servers from whining.
    CRZ were to disappear, you'd be inundated with "x realm is dying" threads within the hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's be realistic for a moment:

- How many new players do you really think there are that are leveling from one to end game? Especially since new players now come with a boost.

- Those that are bothering to level from one to 100 have their reasons and are probably less likely to be brand new players. Not that there are all that many new players anyway. There clearly aren't. If they aren't onto CRZ by now I'm not sure that there's anything I can say.

- If you are on a PVP server and getting ganked, I've never much thought that this line of logic made any sense: "I'm really fucking tired of instantly dying for the 27th time but it's OK because it's someone from my realm."

- CRZ is generally turned off in the expansion zones for any part of the expansion where there's a lot of leveling going on.

Which is why the post at the top of this thread really doesn't make any sense.

@Snorlax: Thank you. My point exactly.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    I think you missed the point, the blackballing was horrible.
    not everything is black and white. the blackballing was not as effective as people are making out, famous ninjas and arseholes on my realm still made groups and repeated their same patterns week in and week out, no matter how many realm forum threads and how much trade chat outrage occurred. similarly though, not everyone was guilty of doing what they were accused of, and accusations of ninjaing/general bad play could result in a much less rewarding experience for new players in particular. WoW chat was toxic before 'toxic' was the adjective de jour around online gaming.

CRZ causes people
    CRZ doesnt cause anyting - people cause people do stuff - and those who are dicks would be dicks regardless of circumstances - the only at fault is blizzard for not noticing idiotic behaviour and not acting according to it

Doubt it, Its more the anonymity. You don't know and have almost 0 way of finding out who the unfriendly person is so the chance of you ever encountering them is crazy small. When there are no consequences people do silly / stupid things. You ever seen someone on their last day of work before moving to their dream job? Yeah they normally stop giving a fuck becasue it almost never comes to bite you on your ass.
    "We are not in Azeroth anymore"
    *1 months later*
    "We are back in Azeroth"

10+ Year Old Account
    This has nothing to do with CRZ. It has everything to do with the archaic and idiotic mob tagging Blizzard insists on using.

I hated seeing other players back in TBC as well.
    Granted, back then you didn't get thrown out of the dungeon queue when forming a manual group, so them accepting invites was infinitely more likely compared to today but still, many had no interest in grouping, so you tag as fast and as hard as you can.

After having played GW2 and FF-XIV with "open tag" systems I can say that open tag is 110% superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    After having played GW2 and FF-XIV with "open tag" systems I can say that open tag is 110% superior.
    Even worse. It's 110% better than Blizzard's attempt to copy it back on Timeless Isle wherein we had 14 months in which an add-on would announce to players that a rare had spawned and if they were more than 30 seconds away they would almost never make it in time, and then have to wait another hour, for the majority of that patch cycle. It was so bad I would honestly consider TI to be worse than WoD entirely.

GW2 and FF14 have the decency and foresight to make sure a boss takes longer to beat than the walking distance is to traverse from the nearest quest hub.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem with rares on TI was that their HP was ridiculously low. Esp, considering that people had no access to flying.
    As a raid geared player I killed these in under 10 seconds. Solo.

It is a wee bit better in Tanaan, but not much. If I encounter a rare by myself, I actually restrain my DPS so other people get a chance to reach it and get credit too.

Deleted

But...you don't need to be in group for shared credit.

If people don't see others out and leveling, the game is dead due to whatever reason (flying lfg, lfr, heirlooms, bla bla bla).
    When people do see others out and leveling, they're being "jerks".

I remember there being plenty of jerks in the game long before CRZ, LFR, LFG and all that jazz became a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    But...you don't need to be in group for shared credit.
    On most "normal mobs" you still do.

Hell not even the elite mobs on KJ's throne are open tag. Noooope have to form a group .. and get booted out of whatever queue you were in. ... ridiculous.
    Only targets that are shared are named quest mobs and rares.

I already noticed people getting less friendly during late Vanilla and BC. Most people are friendly and helpful when they themself need some help and like to share what they know and learn new stuff. When everything is known and there are 100 guides and how-to and help files and FAQs out there and the game is several years old and somebody asks basic questions that are covered in all those guides, many don't answer or answer pretty rude. Has nothing to do with WoW. I experienced the same in AION, SW:TOR, GW2 and Tera.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    @Kryos: That's true. And the reason for that is, that typically the person asking is just too lazy to find the information for himself. Personally I do answer normally, albeit if the question cannot be answered in a one liner I prefer to link the guide in question.