Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Anonymity does this along with the lack of real human contact. We as a species are made for direct human contact, and when it happens, the circumstances and result are often entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    i mean, who said this is a problem with the internet?
    Thread title is Online harassment of women at risk of becoming 'established norm'. It specifically mentions online.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Threat title is Online harassment of women at risk of becoming 'established norm'. It specifically mentions online.
    So, it´s not yet established norm, unlike in real life?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

And we should tackle this problem, just like we´re doing in real life. I don´t see how it changes the conversation, i mean, who said this is a problem with the internet?
    Tennisace, for one.

All signs indicate that tackling real-life sexual harassment will directly impact online sexual harassment, since online sexual harassment is actually more rare, possibly because of that secret fear you aren't actually talking to a female. I'd almost bet most online sexual harassment is between people that know each other in real life.

So what do we do? We teach men how to be more respectful in their advances and timing, and we teach women how to more effectively deflect unwanted advances.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, according to Tennisace it's not, but we've established that Tennisace is a bit behind the times on a number of things.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Apparently it is the established norm right? Im just saying OP specifically talked about the internet. That's who said this is a problem with the internet. That's the answer to your question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Women are delicate and tender creatures.
    delicate and tender creatures.
    creatures
    Cringeeeeee

Fetcheth mine fedora for it must be tipped in the direction of this comment.

OT: The only place I see hate directed towards ALL women (not just feminazis) is /r9k/. By no means is it a widespread problem because for every one woman-hater, there are many whiteknights there to defend and deflect.
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2016-03-08 at 02:42 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Tennisace, for one.

All signs indicate that tackling real-life sexual harassment will directly impact online sexual harassment, since online sexual harassment is actually more rare, possibly because of that secret fear you aren't actually talking to a female. I'd almost bet most online sexual harassment is between people that know each other in real life.

So what do we do? We teach men how to be more respectful in their advances and timing, and we teach women how to more effectively deflect unwanted advances.
    I´m not a fan of maybes and ifs when talking about a topic that can impact children and how they come in contact with the world. I also don´t see a harm in working against harassment, i mean, what´s there to lose? Unlike in real life where you can´t monitor the actions of everyone at everytime, online depending on the medium/service used you can. I´m not talking about survaillance here, i´m talking about simple filters that prevent harassment, based on AI comparable to googles search engine.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Just look at any online messaging board that is currently discussing "International Women's Day", and you'll see the how the neck-beard trilby brigade treats Women.

15+ Year Old Account
    Apparently it is the established norm right? Im just saying OP specifically talked about the internet. That's who said this is a problem with the internet. That's the answer to your question.
    No it´s not, at least i don´t see how that´s a problem with the internet. I mean, the internet isn´t the only place where harassment is prevalent, saying it´s becoming the norm there too isn´t saying it´s a problem with the internet but that the problem is reaching the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Just look at any online messaging board that is currently discussing "International Women's Day", and you'll see the how the neck-beard trilby brigade treats Women.
    Like infants, typically. They must be swaddled and protected at all costs!

- - - Updated - - -

I´m not a fan of maybes and ifs when talking about a topic that can impact children and how they come in contact with the world. I also don´t see a harm in working against harassment, i mean, what´s there to lose? Unlike in real life where you can´t monitor the actions of everyone at everytime, online depending on the medium/service used you can. I´m not talking about survaillance here, i´m talking about simple filters that prevent harassment, based on AI comparable to googles search engine.
    If you're allowing your child unfiltered access to any online service in the first place you're an unfit parent. Most sites designed for children already have aggressive filters in place.

Like infants, typically. They must be swaddled and protected at all costs!
    Who, Women or the Neck-beards?

No it´s not, at least i don´t see how that´s a problem with the internet. I mean, the internet isn´t the only place where harassment is prevalent, saying it´s becoming the norm there too isn´t saying it´s a problem with the internet but that the problem is reaching the internet.
    Im not debating you.

You asked " who said this is a problem with the internet?"

I replied "the OP did."

Who, Women or the Neck-beards?
    That's my typical impression of how internet white-knights treat women. At least until they snap from the lack of all the sex they "deserve" for being "such a nice guy" and go misogynist freak.

That's my typical impression of how internet white-knights treat women. At least until they snap from the lack of all the sex they "deserve" for being "such a nice guy" and go misogynist freak.
    I'm still a tad confused as to who you're 'defending' here.

I'm still a tad confused as to who you're 'defending' here.
    I'm not defending anyone. I'm answering the "question" (you didn't ask one, but someone would have eventually) of how fedoralads treat women.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're allowing your child unfiltered access to any online service in the first place you're an unfit parent. Most sites designed for children already have aggressive filters in place.
    Children aren´t idiots, they have the time and interest to find ways around this problem. Heck the boy of a friend of mine found out that the site blocker his parents used can block each and every site only 32.767 times, yes he simply clicked that link 32.768 times and voila there goes that. Another kid found out that he can watch any youtube video on their parents smartphone, he used that to look up how to bypass the filter put in place on his computer.

The problem here is twofold, first you can´t control what sites your kids look up everytime and always but that´s not too different from them meeting strangers on their way to school, you can´t control for who they meet. The problem is, you can´t control how they display themselves online (age as the most prominent example). This wouldn´t work in real life, since everyone would recognize a child, and most would treat them accordingly, but online it´s becoming something else.

That´s the reason why we always had minim age requirements in the guilds i was in and also a short talk in teamspeak to be as sure as possible. Not because we´re going to harass people, but because we were adults and the way we talk to each other wasn´t what children should perceive as acceptable behaviour.

- - - Updated - - -

Im not debating you.

You asked " who said this is a problem with the internet?"

I replied "the OP did."
    Where? The one sentence he posted? I´m not seeing it.

Where? The one sentence he posted? I´m not seeing it.
    Are you really arguing just to argue?

"It's a real shame that a lot of normal women on the internet have to deal with this type of stuff."

Notice he said "on the internet"

So fucking yes man. The OP believes this is a problem with the internet or he wouldn't have specified the internet and linked an article about the internet lol. im done.

Deleted
    I fail to find where is says that men don't face the same amount of harassment.
    I figure the rape threats to the man himself are significantly lower, instead it's usually their mother.

That´s the reason why we always had minim age requirements in the guilds i was in and also a short talk in teamspeak to be as sure as possible. Not because we´re going to harass people, but because we were adults and the way we talk to each other wasn´t what children should perceive as acceptable behaviour.
    Honestly I think that's a good point that can apply to the broader issue here. The shit we say in mumble is not something kids should really hear. I think the overall issue with harassment is a combination of some people being taught to be overly offended by almost anything and even offended for others coming into contact with people who have not been taught anything and don't quite feel empathy towards others. We need less SJWs and less bigots basically. Extremes are trying to ruin things. Most of the stuff said is out of jest in our mumble. I think a lot of stuff is also said in jest online however it's pretty much impossible to truly measure 'serious' threats vs joking threats. It's all up to interpretation and understanding the situation.
    Last edited by therayeffect; 2016-03-08 at 03:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you really arguing just to argue?

"It's a real shame that a lot of normal women on the internet have to deal with this type of stuff."

Notice he said "on the internet"

So fucking yes man. The OP believes this is a problem with the internet or he wouldn't have specified the internet and linked an article about the internet lol. im done.
    It´s not a problem with the internet, it´s a problem that´s also happening on the internet. I really fail to see where OP made the connection between harassment and the internet, since it´s not ONLY happening online.

If he would´ve said online instead of on the internet, would that be that much of a difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    Honestly I think that's a good point that can apply to the broader issue here. The shit we say in mumble is not something kids should really hear. I think the overall issue with harassment is a combination of some people being taught to be overly offended by almost anything and even offended for others coming into contact with people who have not been taught anything and don't quite feel empathy towards others. We need less SJWs and less bigots basically. Extremes are trying to ruin things. Most of the stuff said is out of jest in our mumble. I think a lot of stuff is also said in jest online however it's pretty much impossible to truly measure 'serious' threats vs joking threats. It's all up to interpretation and understanding the situation.
    Absolutely, also you should be able to jump over your shadow if a person doesn´t get the joke, you should explain and apologize!