Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Wink ‘I am a feminist,’ Prime Minister Trudeau tells adoring UN crowd

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...-un-crowd.html

NEW YORK—Justin Trudeau told a United Nations conference that he looks forward to someday being able to call himself a feminist without having it wind up in news headlines.

The prime minister told a packed convention hall that he foresees a generational shift, as more parents raise their kids to embrace the term as an endorsement of basic equality.

“I’m going to keep saying, loud and clearly, that I am a feminist. Until it is met with a shrug,” he told the UN women’s conference Wednesday, in an auditorium filled with a near-total female audience.

“It shouldn’t be something that creates a reaction. It’s simply saying that I believe in the equality of men and women and that we still have an awful lot of work to do to get there. That’s like saying the sky is blue and the grass is green.”

The high-profile event was one of several on a day where Trudeau announced to a photo-snapping crowd in the UN lobby that Canada was pursuing a seat on the security council in 2020; met with business leaders; and was to be honoured later in the day by a women’s group for having formed a gender-parity cabinet.

“With all the nods and all the clapping, I think you’re well-liked in this room, prime minister,” said the moderator at the UN event, New York’s ABC news anchor Sade Baderinwa.

Trudeau explained that in the years before he’d uttered the now-famous phrase, “Because it’s 2015,” his team worked in 2014, 2013 and 2012 to recruit talented female candidates.

He said that process was complicated by the fact women were more likely to refuse career opportunities, because they were busy caring for children and elderly parents.

Trudeau suggested policies that encourage a work-life balance. He offered one potential example of parental leave that would only be available to men.

A PMO official later explained the government isn’t actually considering this, but is looking at family-friendly policies such as changes in the House of Commons rules for federal employees.

He also suggested that companies might be moved to better gender balance just by making them address how many women are in their workforce and their board of directors.

“One of the things that has shown effectiveness is just making people report explicitly on the gender balance within their organization, within their boards at the highest levels,” he said. “That incentivizes positive behaviour in meaningful ways.”

The Conservative government’s last budget in 2015 included a proposal to require companies to either put a gender-equality policy in place or explain publicly why they don’t have one.

Trudeau stressed that Canada still has a long way to go. He cited the male-female earnings gap as one example and violence against women — especially aboriginal women — as a particularly egregious problem.

He described feminism as a generational trend.

Asked by the moderator how he started using the term, Trudeau referred to his parents. He said his mom was a feminist, but the term didn’t apply to his dad, despite having been a human-rights advocate who introduced the modern Canadian Constitution.

“He was a great guy — but I don’t think he’d ever be able to be qualified as a feminist,” he said.

He stressed he and his wife are teaching their kids — two boys and a girl — to embrace feminism. And he predicted that more and more people would do so over time, with young people leading the way.

“It’s just really, really obvious,” he said, drawing applause. “We should be standing up for women’s rights and trying to create more equal societies? Like, duh.”
    Do you agree with the Prime Minister? Are you in favour of more equal societies?

Since I am favour of equality, I disagree with the PM on feminism.

Reminds me of that one neckbeard guy advice dog with "I consider myself a male feminist"

Have fun with that Canada, seems that you got the polar opposite of Trump up there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an equalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Since I am favour of equality, I disagree with the PM on feminism.
    This

/10char

he wins the cuck of the year award, first prize takes free and timely castration

Like, duh?
    Amazing word craft there, PM Trudeau.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Like, duh?
    Amazing word craft there, PM Trudeau.
    Talking so that the regular folk can relate to him. Like what real leaders do

Just like americans affirming that they believe in god, eh? As if the parallels to it being a religious cult weren't obvious enough already.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Have fun with that Canada, seems that you got the polar opposite of Trump up there.
    Not really. He's an establishment politician like any other. He's just showboating for the SJW crowd. Many of his electorate are strategic voters from other leftist parties. So his little SJW Olympics display is really just his way of distracting everybody from the fact that one of his big big big promises going into the election was looking in to electoral reform which would empower voters not to have to vote strategically anymore, and yet he hasn't batted an eyelash about it now that he has an unquestionable mandate.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    A pretty man says conventionally popular things, ....... this is news?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I worry that he's young and a bit inexperienced. He's going to draw these labels to himself, but I worry about his ability to deliver on the job and thus tarnish the labels he has drawn to himself. I wish he'd prove himself a bit more before doing such things.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

someday being able to call himself a feminist without having it wind up in news headlines.
    That is the day feminism dies.
    Good for him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Talking so that the regular folk can relate to him. Like what real leaders do
    I guess I missed the part where a PM gets to talk like a teenage girl and that's somehow a compliment.

Women have been at the top of western society for a while now. Women lack responsibilities, but not rights. However, the cool thing about responsibilities, is that you can pick them up when you're ready for them. So have at it, ladies.

Politicians that talk like this are basically just letting us know that they're social engineers. Good luck, Canada.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did he also tip his Fedora while saying that?

isnt natural for politicians to say things people wanna hear so how is this a thing?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Not really. He's an establishment politician like any other. He's just showboating for the SJW crowd. Many of his electorate are strategic voters from other leftist parties. So his little SJW Olympics display is really just his way of distracting everybody from the fact that one of his big big big promises going into the election was looking in to electoral reform which would empower voters not to have to vote strategically anymore, and yet he hasn't batted an eyelash about it now that he has an unquestionable mandate.
    Except for the fact that he's already started putting it together by assigning minister to head the charge. Electoral reform is not a rush item, he has 4 years to push it through until the next election.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

"Justin Trudeau told a United Nations conference that he looks forward to someday being able to call himself a feminist without having it wind up in news headlines." Well, that kinda backfired then. Though the real question is, why? How dafuq is this news. It's like 6785th time this month he has said that he's a feminist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Yeah, it's a shame to see such a great and respectable country being run by the biggest cuck in the world.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.