Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    That's what they do in countries like Pakistan...except not being a Muslim and talking about it is considered trolling there.
    That's great for Pakistan ; What's next, hitler was Evil?

You have no rational reason for excusing trolls. None.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I hate this idea we have now that people who demand privacy and anonymity are doing it only because they want free license to do bad things. I mean, I wouldn't want my employer to know that I'm posting on this site, not because I necessarily want to the freedom to type stupid and pointless shit, but because I don't really like the idea of someone potentially looking over my shoulder at all times and drawing unwarranted conclusions from reading a bunch of forum posts out of context. This is really not that much to ask for, is it?
    Yeah exactly. I'm pro union. So Good luck ever getting a job Gheld McRealname.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cbc-ne...nyms-1.3496467

Do you agree with this change?
    Would you also like if MMO champion implemented a similar change?
    How would your posting habits change if you had your real name as your user name?
    I suspect it would change a lot of people's habits, because the last thing anyone wants is some chucklehead showing up at their door or going after their family. Cause its a pretty safe bet that someone would get hurt, either the chucklehead that went to a fellow poster's home, or the poster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I would really like this, with one little change!
    You'd need your real identity to create the account and then you can use a nickname.
    That way only the site-admins have access to your real identity.
    I'm curious, why would the site admins need our real names? isnt' what OP is advocating. I'd have to say if we have to reveal our names, then we get to see everyone else's names, mods too... only fair.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    That's great for Pakistan ; What's next, hitler was Evil?

You have no rational reason for excusing trolls. None.
    I know it's hard for someone like yourself, who is perfect and completely unflawed and has never said anything that could ever be taken out of context to understand why us mere mortals require privacy and anonymity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I suspect it would change a lot of people's habits, because the last thing anyone wants is some chucklehead showing up at their door or going after their family. Cause its a pretty safe bet that someone would get hurt, either the chucklehead that went to a fellow poster's home, or the poster.
    Doesn't seem to inhibit peoples ability to post dumb stuff on Facebook.

*shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember when blizzard wanted to use our real names on forum?
    Don't sweat the details!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd have to say if we have to reveal our names, then we get to see everyone else's names, mods too... only fair.
    Browbeating people into being polite. That's exactly the world I want to live in.

Deleted
    I know it's hard for someone like yourself, who is perfect and completely unflawed and has never said anything that could ever be taken out of context to understand why us mere mortals require privacy and anonymity.
    You're on a public forum, how is that Private?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Biggest shitstorm I've ever seen.

reminds me of university and how many years ago we had to fill out this one anonymous survey which could only be accessed by connecting to the network using our own credentials, then opening a specific link only found in our own home page...

good times....

If you are really so desperate for a safe space, I would recommend factoring other humans out of the equation altogether. Read a book instead of a discussion forum.
    It's going to be a safe space for someone however CBC decide to curate it. Either a safe-space for people who want to discuss the article the comments are attached to, or a safe space for people who want to be anonymous assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I still dislike the real ID showing full name. First name, fine, all of it? Not ok in my opinion. Atleast there's battletag to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Doesn't seem to inhibit peoples ability to post dumb stuff on Facebook.

*shrug*
    I've noticed, I've only been threatened 2-3 dozen times... I just ask, are you still going to want me to post your bail the next time you get arrested?

- - - Updated - - -

Browbeating people into being polite. That's exactly the world I want to live in.
    Wont change me, I'm still the cantankerous old curmudgeon that I always have been and always will be.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    I've noticed, I've only been threatened 2-3 dozen times... I just ask, are you still going to want me to post your bail the next time you get arrested?
    I've been threatened far more in real life, than i ever was on the Internet.

And that is with acess to peoples adresses, their real names, workplaces - Stuff like that.

Also, it was not a jab at your standpoint. :P Merely a point to that the fear is irrational.

People could already find info about others, if they just try. It's all about how easy/hard that is to do.

Deleted
    And every poster became john smith or ass mic dickbags. and cbc wondered who the hell thought this would work in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I've used fake names on the internet before, how will this change anything?
    Jan Jansen reporting in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Sounds like a fantastic idea. Hold people accountable regardless of how looney their idea is. You want to advocate for a $20 minimum wage and open border, I'll be glad to point out you live with mom and dropped out of community college. You want to advocate we turn the Middle East into a giant mirror, I'll point out that you got an F in 6th grade history last semester and are terrible at Call of Duty.
    It would definitely become an interesting exposure of knowledge about some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    It's going to be a safe space for someone however CBC decide to curate it. Either a safe-space for people who want to discuss the article the comments are attached to, or a safe space for people who want to be anonymous assholes.
    Not really. Because the article might be about say... oh I don't know... a court ruling that is in favor of a Union. And I might be like "Good for that judge." And a future employer might want to vet me and just has to google search my name and low and behold here I am showing myself to be a union sympathizer.

Not everything has to be nefarious, or illegal, or douchey to screw you over if somebody else knows it about you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I've used fake names on the internet before, how will this change anything?
    Jan Jansen reporting in.
    Trond Lauperak reporting for duty...

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    reminds me of university and how many years ago we had to fill out this one anonymous survey which could only be accessed by connecting to the network using our own credentials, then opening a specific link only found in our own home page...

good times....
    Had something similar in High School. I remember the teachers mad a big deal about how this survey on drugs was anonymous, please fill it out accurately, nobody will know what you said, etc. Then when it was finished we were made to hand it in, in a manner that would allow the teacher teacher to know exactly whose was whose. I received detention because I picked up the stack of surveys and put mine in the middle. I was told that if I found mine and put it in the right place my punishment would be dropped. I didn't comply with that, despite the fact that I didn't do drugs, so couldn't get in trouble for anything on mine.

Edit:
    Not really. Because the article might be about say... oh I don't know... a court ruling that is in favor of a Union. And I might be like "Good for that judge." And a future employer might want to vet me and just has to google search my name and low and behold here I am showing myself to be a union sympathizer.

Not everything has to be nefarious, or illegal, or douchey to screw you over if somebody else knows it about you.
    Great example. This goes far beyond just bosses and future bosses. I don't talk politics at work, rarely does anything good come from it, and it can greatly polarize a work environment. If I post something political, and a coworker who disagrees sees it, it can lead to a hostile work environment. Yes, if that happens an employer should step in and end it, even if that means firing the one instigating it at work, but it is better to just avoid that situation. It doesn't even take a particularly radical stance to spark this kind of problem.
    Last edited by Utinil; 2016-03-19 at 04:18 PM.