Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Illegal US immigrants are far likelier to be working than American men

http://qz.com/645033/illegal-us-immi...-american-men/

Men who come to the US illegally are more likely to be employed than native-born American males, according to a new paper from Harvard University’s George Borjas, an authority on the economic impact of undocumented workers in the US.

It’s not a surprise that many undocumented immigrants come to the US to work. But the Borjas study is an ambitious attempt to shed light on how undocumented immigrants in the US have typically interacted with the US labor market over the last two decades.
    The outcomes are clear. Employment rates of undocumented immigrants are sharply higher than those of native-born American men. Borjas found that 86.6% of illegal immigrants had work compared to 73.9% of native-born males when looking at a sample from 2012-2013. That 13-percentage-point gap shrinks once Borjas controlled for the fact that undocumented immigrants tend to be younger than native-born men. But it remains wide, with employment rates of undocumented workers 10 percentage points higher than native men of a similar age.

Such a revelation could influence US policy toward the some 11.4 million undocumented immigrants who resided in the US as of 2012. Their presence is a high-profile political issue, most recently helping drive the candidacy of Republican hopeful Donald Trump.
    Undocumented workers now account for roughly 5% of the total US labor supply.
    Previous work co-authored by Borjas found that their presence has driven down wages of low-skilled US workers in recent years.
    Borjas’ findings are part of a global story in which the poorer residents of the rich economies, such as the US, have been losing ground as globalization and trade have lifted large chunks of the world population out of poverty.

Rising standards of living in places such as China and among immigrants both legal and undocumented in the rich world would clearly be a good thing.

But to the extent those gains have been driven by damage to the poorer portions of the rich world as well as rising inequality in the world’s richest countries, they should be thought about carefully.
    Interesting eh. I wonder why this is the case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because they get 0 government benefits? Isn't that kind of obvious? Not to mention they are not affected by any worker laws. Can't exactly sue your employer for paying you 2$ an hour.

Deleted
    How exactly do they even know this...?

If they are harboring illegals they should turn them in to be deported no?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Stop.

There is a better reason.

Americans are fucking lazy.
    I could bring up facts, figures, and a graph to prove you utterly wrong, but I don't think there's a point in trying to change your communist, SJW mind. Do it yourself for me, will you?
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    How exactly do they even know this...?

If they are harboring illegals they should turn them in to be deported no?
    Or you could create a route for them to gain citizenship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop.

Oh right, Tennisace my bad.

Those damn American's, they're obviously so lazy! Not like us decent hard working Canadians! /s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    I could bring up facts, figures, and a graph to prove you utterly wrong, but I don't think there's a point in trying to change your communist, SJW mind. Do it yourself for me, will you?
    At best they are little more then scabs. Lowering the earnings of hard working American workers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    Oh right, Tennisace my bad.

Those damn American's, they're obviously so lazy! Not like us decent hard working Canadians! /s
    One of my best Canadian friends farms flax, works in a steel mill, and hates brown people. We are not such different places.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Of we could not screw over the weakest and most vulnerable of out own society?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    One of my best Canadian friends farms flax, works in a steel mill, and hates brown people. We are not such different places.
    Don't tell Tennisace, might shatter his delusions of grandeur.

15+ Year Old Account
    Stop.

Not really. Compared to most other Western nations Americans are work slaves. Especially compared to Europe.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Ignore this bullshit.

It is the essence of math twisting fact warping scam that obfuscates the employment/unemployment argument.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Less than 5% unemployment in the US at the moment.

And illegals pretty much have to hold a job or else return to their homeland. That or starve.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Freelance real estate flippers?

Deleted
    to be fair all of you in america are immigrants unless your native americans which i highly doubt

10+ Year Old Account
    Who are these people?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Ignore this bullshit.

It is the essence of math twisting fact warping scam that obfuscates the employment/unemployment argument.
    Damn those learned bastards trying to work their sorcery into our conversation dictated by real, lasting things. Like feelings and anecdotes!

7+ Year Old Account
    Illegals performing better than legals is all the more reason not to grant amnesty.

We did. They didn't want to take that route, thus why they are illegal.

This isn't even a shocking thing. They work for virtually for free, require nothing extra spent on them in benefits and can't revolt against their employer if they have bad working conditions. They are everything they want in a cheap worker.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    Who are these people?
    Low skilled workers and the poor who are harmed by immigrants undercutting them...

Why can't the left into economics?