Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

PG Gold as Holy priest

Hey there.
    I'll probably get flamed back into the stone age for being dumb enough to ask this, but how on earth is Proving Ground gold supposed to work as a Holy Priest?

It's virtually impossible. That tank takes so much damage, that he drops even when I spam flash heal. (I know Holy is not supposed to do that, but what else am I to do with that amount of inc damage?!)
    90% of the time he gets the bleed debuff and no matter what I spam, forget getting this panda back over 90% HP until the wave ends.

It's ridiculous how hard it is.
    I did PG gold on my Resto Shaman alt the moment she dinged 100 w/o giving a second thought.
    Yet as a Holy priest with item level 708, I still stand here going oom in wave 6 because EVERYTHING™ takes such ridiculous amounts of damage and my heals .. well ... throwing noodles at people would probably cure wounds faster.

I can heal mythic dungeons just fine, even w/o overgeared groups. And the fact that I healed through PG gold on my shaman shows that I do know how to triage/dispel etc.

Is Holy really in such a bad state? (Granted, my gear is optimized for shadow, so I have tons of crit and very little multistrike, but I do have spi rings etc).
    My Draenei: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Ifalna/simple

Seriously, what am I missing here? Such a huge disparity in difficulty between specs can't be intended for sth. that is supposed to teach a new player the ropes of PvE. Oo

I did gold as Holy and had no problems at 615. Multistrike isn't really going to help you for burst healing like you need. Ideally you want to be in Serenity and go Holy Word Serenity, FH, FH, Heal while renew is ticking. That should be enough to top the tank off. Additionally if you're having mana problems, FH less and Heal more. Make use of glyphed Binding Heal and take advantage of the AoE. Don't use Divine Hymn, it's garbage. Put down your lightspring and it's free healing. In a clutch situation use GS on the tank and 1 Serenity and FH should top them off.

Take some of your lower stat budget items off, e.g. a ring, bracers, cloak, or neck, and it'll scale the fight down without you losing much stats.

Deleted
    Pg gold as anything: Don't be a retard, it sounds rude but in fact it is true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Ideally you want to be in Serenity and go Holy Word Serenity, FH, FH, Heal while renew is ticking. That should be enough to top the tank off.
    I usually am, but that is not even close to being enough to top him off. There is no "topping him off" he is taking damage like a clothie.

You can start by fixing your talents to begin with, remove mindbender, divine insight take surge of light and twist of fate instead. Power infusion is also decent since you can use it every 2nd wave. If you have trouble at this ilvl use lower ilvl gear, the lower ilvl you have the easier it is.

I've done Proven Healer as Holy and the ilvl advice is spot-on. Find some low level gear, like well-itemized greens, and that will really make a big difference. I built a completely different set of gear other than rings and trinkets, and spent a little time learning the ins and outs of waves. I believe I dropped as low as 615-620 to do Proven Healer, just simple Gold should be more than doable.

Thanks to Zil for the awesome sig!

Deleted
    Do it in heirloom gear. Free proven healer :>

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I usually am, but that is not even close to being enough to top him off. There is no "topping him off" he is taking damage like a clothie.
    You can also talent Power Infusion for the extra haste/mana reduction if you need the burst heals. Don't be afraid to use PW: S if you need to as it gives you a bit of a buffer, not much but some.

Deleted
    Like mentioned PG scales with gear, so the higher ilvl you got the harder it gets. Thats why on your newly dinged resto shaman you had an easy time and on your 708 priest you are having a hard time.

PG is auctually pretty good as holy priest, i did endless 30 with it instead of disc (wich is my ms) cause i just felt it was way more fluid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. Thanks for all your thoughts.

I'll just have to remember doing the Legion incarnation right after leveling. It is really sad to see that Blizzard fails even at a simple mathematical problem like this.
    Guess their scaling technology is still in it's infancy stages.

@Djriff: It's not that much a problem of raw output. I can heal against the damage. But I cannot heal against that kind of absurd damage for 10 waves w/o mana breaks. These NPCs take ridiculous amounts of damage. Not just the tank, the group too. That kind of damage only happens in 5mans when the group fails very badly and these situations usually don't last nearly long enough to go out of mana. And if they do, I kindly ask the group members to stop failing. Though they usually do that on their own because wiping sucks.

Have you tried asking the NPC's to stop fucking up? It could help but you may get the same results as asking a regular player :P

That's really odd. I went in and did it last night at 739 and had a little bit of problems, but nothing terrible overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does yelling at the screen count?

It's always the same thing. In Wave IV the dumb tank gets the bleed debuff, yet takes so much damage that I cannot get him above 90%. Not even with flashheal spam. That's the point where I have to start using spells that drain my Mana FAST, esp since I myself take A LOT of damage from random Pyros these morons can't seem to interrupt.

Sadly, healers in WoW lack proper cooldowns. I could use Guardian Angel in wave IV, but since enraged dudes in wave V can pretty much gib the tank, I won't take the risk of them getting through even if I grip the tank away once they go "rawr".

I can Heal through the wave, but mana doesn't permit getting past wave 6 after that.

It feels broken. I can heal Mythic dungeons just fine, in fact people asked whether I wanted to stay for more.
    Yet, apparently I am too incompetent to complete this "Proving Ground" which is designed to teach the new players how to play their class....

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    It feels broken. I can heal Mythic dungeons just fine, in fact people asked whether I wanted to stay for more.
    Yet, apparently I am too incompetent to complete this "Proving Ground" which is designed to teach the new players how to play their class....
    Proving ground is broken, and always was broken. What Blizzard should actually do is delevel you to a fixed ilvl and balance mobs output based on that - exactly like it was in MoP. WoD's version of PG is full of bad scaling at almost every turn.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Proving ground is broken, and always was broken. What Blizzard should actually do is delevel you to a fixed ilvl and balance mobs output based on that - exactly like it was in MoP. WoD's version of PG is full of bad scaling at almost every turn.
    Can only speak for SPriest, but MoPs PG was EXTREMELY frustrating for us due to low haste.

Same would apply to WoD PG, w/o crit, AS is out.

What they would need to do is actually tailor it to each spec.
    Though I doubt that would be feasible, given the possible talent combinations.

You may not have the GCD for it, but have you tried running Solace?

10+ Year Old Account
    You may not have the GCD for it, but have you tried running Solace?
    Since I do not heal with mouse over, switching targets to enemies is something I rather not do.

I tried DPSing in dungeons etc, to get a feel for it, but in critical situations I lose way too much time during target switches to make it feel comfortable.

You can just make a macro for it though. You don't even have to swap targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can just make a macro for it though. You don't even have to swap targets.
    Hmm you mean macro it to something like tank assist target -> cast -> target lasttarget?

That could work.

Something like that, I have the macro, just can't remember the exact syntax for it. Use it as disc a lot.