Those of you that upgraded from a non-genuine Win7/8 to Win 10. How is it.

Right off the bat I want to say do not say how you got a non-genuine windows. I know this thread will border on not being allowed.

I am asking how is the performance and bugs you have delt with. I did it two times myself and I had issues where some programs didn't want to open (Like Nivida experince) and when I went into some settings windows they closed outright.

So what is your experince with a non-genuine windows.

Once again don't tell how you got said windows and please don't come in the thread ranting at those who have said windows. This is mainly a thread talking about the peformance/experince of it.

I have considered trying it a 3rd time but may just use windows 7 until they iron out everything and then buy a legit copy.

Edit: One odd issue I had was when I went to reinstall my Win7 it gave me some kinda of error about the HD being too big or something. Took forever and using linux for a few months to get win7 back on my pc.

This is that error, Sorry for the quality I took the pic on a really shitty phone awhile back.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-03-27 at 11:39 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

You have a ~1200 dollar rig spend 30 bucks at kinguin and get a legit windows 10 pro copy lol. I cant speak to non genuine (havent used one since xp, college kids cant be buying windows lol) but i upgraded through windows update when it said it was ready, everything went great except once in a while the start button didnt work. That hasnt happened since. I am on a sandy bridge system and im sure compatibility with newer hardware like yours will be an even smoother experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You have a ~1200 dollar rig spend 30 bucks at kinguin and get a legit windows 10 pro copy lol. I cant speak to non genuine (havent used one since xp, college kids cant be buying windows lol) but i upgraded through windows update when it said it was ready, everything went great except once in a while the start button didnt work. That hasnt happened since. I am on a sandy bridge system and im sure compatibility with newer hardware like yours will be an even smoother experience.
    Never used kinguin and at some point I may try to upgrade again. Just when I did I had issues.

So thats why I made this thread, I was wondering how everyone else who upgraded for a non-gen windows has been doing. There is some personal reasons why I refuse to buy a legit windows atm but that may change in a the future.

But why I don't have one isn't part of this topic.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like Windows 10. While a lot of people disagree with me, it's a lot better than Windows 7 or 8.

I did the free upgrade on my last laptop. I didn't think to much about it, just needed a complete wipe and install to fix a dozen or so issues I was having. Yet, once I picked up a new laptop that had it already installed, I have to say I like it a whole lot more.

Now there are going to be features that aren't present with a "non-gen" Windows. That is due too that fact that most of those are volume license keys. I used those for years seeing how one of the companies I work for provides you with Windows. I like to think of them as very stripped down and core, and usually the first version. Some of them allowed you to upgrade to a certain point or even allowed you to take the major updates. That's a whole can of worms I shouldn't be getting into.

As for errors, I have had none on either machine. I had one crash since launch and that was a driver issue that was auto-resolved and fixed in less than 12 hours by Nvidia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Never used kinguin and at some point I may try to upgrade again. Just when I did I had issues.

So thats why I made this thread, I was wondering how everyone else who upgraded for a non-gen windows has been doing. There is some personal reasons why I refuse to buy a legit windows atm but that may change in a the future.

But why I don't have one isn't part of this topic.
    if you have personal reasons not to buy windows the only solution is not to use it at all. That is better idea both in terms of security and morally.
    Got problem with ms? Don't use their product. Using non-genuine copy of windows is better for them than not using their product at all. Either go linux/mac or buy legit copy. There really is no excuse.

Those of you that upgraded from a non-genuine Win7/8 to Win 10. How is it.
    Microsoft reneged on their "free upgrade for non-genuine Win7/8 to Win 10" deal. I had an extra machine that I loaded up with Windows 7 and could not get the upgrade to go. I don't have the links handy but found that by the time Win 10 went live, they retracted that statement and were not going forward with the 'free Win 10 for everyone' statement...at least in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Microsoft reneged on their "free upgrade for non-genuine Win7/8 to Win 10" deal. I had an extra machine that I loaded up with Windows 7 and could not get the upgrade to go. I don't have the links handy but found that by the time Win 10 went live, they retracted that statement and were not going forward with the 'free Win 10 for everyone' statement...at least in the US.
    I still have the "Free Upgrade to 10" thing on a non-genuine system. I might test it out.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I still have the "Free Upgrade to 10" thing on a non-genuine system. I might test it out.
    I've read that some people could activate it just fine afterwards. I'm just using insider builds instead since MS is ridiculously slow at the slow ring anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Let me know if it works. I am honestly curious. Could be someone I did wrong when I tried it.

After removing the tracking, the forced downloaded apps, the other tracking and denying about 50 M$ IPs in my host file and about 500 registry edits to prevent other unsavory things I can honestly say that W10 is only ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a legit copy of Windows 7 on my desktop, still had the book and CD key. I upgraded to Windows 10, but it didn't like my key. So I wiped the hard drive, and installed Win 10 fresh. Still didn't like my key. Had to download a Win10 cd key crack. Spent the next 30 minutes cleaning all the various viruses that came with the crack off my computer.

My laptop is running a cracked copy of Windows 7. Did the Win10 upgrade without a single issue. GG Windows.

Win10 has taken some getting used to, as I've been using Win7 this whole time, never went to 8. I miss Aero Glass, and can't figure out how to get the 'classic shell' program to work properly. (third party program to make 10 look like 7) Other than that, I haven't had any performance issues. If anything, it feels like my computer boots up faster and is available for use faster after booting up, and I'm still using HDDs. There are some cosmetic issues with it, as well as ease of use issues, but I'm getting used to them. (As in, NOTHING is in the right place compared to Win7 lol.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    After removing the tracking, the forced downloaded apps, the other tracking and denying about 50 M$ IPs in my host file and about 500 registry edits to prevent other unsavory things I can honestly say that W10 is only ok.
    When folks would comment that they did not know how Win10 could be free, I explained how it gathered/tracked your info and used your computer free their bandwidth by using your PC to feed updates and uploads around the world. Seems to me it would be best they kept it free, or removed all the trackware.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    My laptop is running a cracked copy of Windows 7. Did the Win10 upgrade without a single issue. GG Windows.
    This is one of my biggest complaints with Windows. They make it so difficult to install a legitimate, licensed copy of their OS, it makes you wish you didn't bother and just got a crack version, which typically are hassle free. Sad thing is that with all the hassle, it hasn't make installing a crack version any more difficult. I've tried to explain this over the phone to MS support, when I do reinstalls and have to reactive after getting the phone supplied code (though I'm sure some gets lost in translation). The folks with cracked copies aren't calling them. The only people they are hassling are the folks who paid decent money to use their product.

Crazy backwards world sometimes.

The hell are you talking about. If he got through the system with a hacked copy good for him, but the process is the same for licensed machines lol. The only time you need to get on the horn with MS to acquire a new license key is if you got a new motherboard and the system flags you (keys are tied to motherboards), but this is obviously few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Right off the bat I want to say do not say how you got a non-genuine windows. I know this thread will border on not being allowed.

I am asking how is the performance and bugs you have delt with. I did it two times myself and I had issues where some programs didn't want to open (Like Nivida experince) and when I went into some settings windows they closed outright.

So what is your experince with a non-genuine windows.

Once again don't tell how you got said windows and please don't come in the thread ranting at those who have said windows. This is mainly a thread talking about the peformance/experince of it.

I have considered trying it a 3rd time but may just use windows 7 until they iron out everything and then buy a legit copy.

Edit: One odd issue I had was when I went to reinstall my Win7 it gave me some kinda of error about the HD being too big or something. Took forever and using linux for a few months to get win7 back on my pc.

This is that error, Sorry for the quality I took the pic on a really shitty phone awhile back.
    hell. I have a genuine copy of windows and nvidia experience will not work with it.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    When folks would comment that they did not know how Win10 could be free, I explained how it gathered/tracked your info and used your computer free their bandwidth by using your PC to feed updates and uploads around the world. Seems to me it would be best they kept it free, or removed all the trackware.

- - - Updated - - -

This is one of my biggest complaints with Windows. They make it so difficult to install a legitimate, licensed copy of their OS, it makes you wish you didn't bother and just got a crack version, which typically are hassle free. Sad thing is that with all the hassle, it hasn't make installing a crack version any more difficult. I've tried to explain this over the phone to MS support, when I do reinstalls and have to reactive after getting the phone supplied code (though I'm sure some gets lost in translation). The folks with cracked copies aren't calling them. The only people they are hassling are the folks who paid decent money to use their product.

Crazy backwards world sometimes.
    The last several times I've contacted MS because of that, it was an automated system lol. Never spoke to a person.

On both Windows Vista and one of my Win7 CD keys, I had the same key installed and running 4 different computers. I just had to call that line, write in that stupid long number, and it activated windows. A friend told me that when you do that, it will deactivate it on any other system that that key is being used with, but I never had that problem.

The key I'm using on my desktop right now (or was, before win10) was only being used on the desktop. It was a legit as it comes, it was OEM, disc and all. I never had any issues with it until I tried upgrading to win10 and it just wouldn't take the stupid key. I even used a program to pull the key out of my registry to make sure it was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Idk if you're aware but if you have 2 or more machines running the same Serial Key of Win 7/8, whichever does the upgrade to win10 first and registers claims the cd key. My brother and I didn't realize we had used the same box to install win7 on both our systems but since he hesitated to upgrade, the cd key is now locked to my hardware. It will let him install win10 but he can't install any updates, which fixes a lot of bugs that causes compatibility issues or your Start Menu/Taskbar from becoming unresponsive.

do you mean non-genuine as in just an un-activated copy? if so i cannot tell you what that is like.

but if you mean an activated copy of windows with no exchange of money, then i can tell you that my experience has been.. uh.. flawless? i installed from microsofts own official install iso, ~activation things happened here~ and i have had no issue using windows 10 since a couple days after launch.

Another good resource is the software exchange on reddit. There are sellers there who have 100s of confirmed happy customers and sell legit keys for <$10.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Tested it on a non-genuine system, there's programs that remove the nagging and enable regular features once on W10. Anyway, I didn't like it much. Even after disabling the hose of telemetry and data brokering 'services', I experienced significant amounts of lag on games like WoW, about 30ms over what I experience normally, for no discernible reason.