Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Dumb? No.
    Slighty 'noobish'? Yes. Just a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridiancity View Post
    It's completely wasteful and stupid, since for every class that actually uses autoattacks attempting to use an ability will cause autoattacks to begin anyway. 100% unnecessary for casters because they never use autoattacks, 100% unnecessary for physical DPS because it's redundant.
    This isn't true for every ability, and you don't always want to start with the ones that do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalus View Post
    If you want to stop auto-attack just click somewhere around the boss and clear your target. Sooo fucking simple.
    Yup, I do this, or if there's too much clutter just hit ESC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Whenever I post a screenshot, there's usually people giving me crap about having auto attack on the action bar. Their argument being "you can just right click to attack enemies". Which is true, and I do that ofcourse. Targeting an enemy and then hitting auto attack would be a major pain in the ass. But my problem is, if you want to stop attacking an enemy without losing the target, you have to hit the auto attack button. Otherwise you can't stop attacking an enemy without un-targeting it.

Am I being an idiot?
    If you need to stop autoattacking you can just press esc. That looses your target aswell but its a free keybind and you can always re target.

This came in handy in previous wow expansions where overaggroing and such was a thing. Not sure about today though

A lot of abilities automatically start your attack.
    You can always make a macro with /startattack if the ability does not do it automatically.
    You can right click on a mob with your mouse.

Keeping it on an action bar is just silly.

Deleted
    I used to keep it on action bars many years ago. Then I discovered I could stop auto attacking by pressing escape button. Some characters still have it on unused extra action bars.

Deleted
    If you want to stop auto-attack just click somewhere around the boss and clear your target. Sooo fucking simple.
    This is actually a really bad way of doing it. Chances are you will hit something else or the bosses hitbox simply being to big. It also makes you loose focus while finding a spot to click.

Esc > this by miles

Yeah kinda. You should get used to just pushing an ability to start the auto attack.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Am I being an idiot?
    No. Having a /stopattack macro (which is effectively what your bind is doing) is fine. Even ideal, depending on the situation.

It's astounding how many people are responding without actually reading your post, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    This is actually a really bad way of doing it. Chances are you will hit something else or the bosses hitbox simply being to big. It also makes you loose focus while finding a spot to click.

Esc > this by miles
    Oh ye true i use a combination of esc and clicking around. Ye esc is best. It's just a "reflex" at this point :P

Deleted
    when I started the game for the first time, I wondered why is it even on my bars. I removed it like 2 minutes in to the game :P

Deleted
    Just double-tap ESC to stop attacking, aint that difficult

it is utterly useless.

When you start attacking with any ability as melee it will automatically autoattack

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Why would you ever stop auto attacking? If some1 ever wants to stop raid dps, auto attack dmg is not gonna be enough to push any mob.
    Boss mechanick but i know only 1 boss who is prety nasty even if you autoattack it but in reallity i do not need a special button on my bars to stop attack complete just hit esc button works in same way

What with all these people and stopping to attack? You never stop to attack that's a dps loss! Who cares if it kills you.. You'll pull DEEEEPPPEEEESSSSSSS numbers like you'll never believe if you never stop attacking!!!!! /stupidsarcasmoff!

No I don't keep it. I used to keep it back on a caster to use the wand when I didn't know any better and didn't know how to conserve mana. Come to think of it.. The first kill on the last boss in Kara the last shot was from a mage that finished him. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Why would you ever stop auto attacking? If some1 ever wants to stop raid dps, auto attack dmg is not gonna be enough to push any mob.
    If you are not a complete asshole, if a mob gets a shield that heals on being delt damage, or a shield so you take damage when you attack.. then you better just stop those auto attacks aswell.. Anything else would be idiotic.. why heal the boss, even if the amount is miniscule, or give your healers more work?

As someone else has already said, you can use x to stop auto attacks..

I also don't see why you can't just hit esc? yes you lose target, but there was a reason why you wanted to stop attacking.. you probably have 2 sec to find the target again and left click it. before you need to restart attacking.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    Boss mechanick but i know only 1 boss who is prety nasty even if you autoattack it but in reallity i do not need a special button on my bars to stop attack complete just hit esc button works in same way
    As you say, it is very rare that you have to stop auto-attacking a boss, but then you can always attack something else and then you switch target anyway. When there is finally a boss, where you have to stop auto, and there is no 2nd target, then it is proberly so rare, that it is weird to keep a button on your action bar for that.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Escape does the same thing. If you need to stop attacking to ensure you dont break a trap or something you could just add /stopattack (or whatever the line is) to your trap macro.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you're not an idiot. You're just ignorant of the /stopattack command.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh ye true i use a combination of esc and clicking around. Ye esc is best. It's just a "reflex" at this point :P
    You don't use sticky targeting?! O_O
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.