Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Money is forcibly taken from you to pay for road maintenance. However, properly maintained roads increases your freedom of movement. Which freedom is more valuable?
    Well, forcibly and forcibly. Here money is just taken for road maintenance if you actually use the roads. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    My grandfather never went to the doctor.
    The fact you a speaking about him in the past tense makes me think he probably should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    It's selfish that you expect people to pay 200+ a month for health insurance when the government could provide it to everyone for less than 100 a month.
    Then start a voluntary single payer program.

What is really selfish, is demanding that other people pay for the things you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Taking this example, I'd have $100 a month after bills.

I've been sick 0 times in the last 6 years.
    I've been to an ER 0 times in the last 20 years.

So I'd basically have to lower my standard of living, lose my house, or exist rather than live (no video games/books/fun, no movies, no Netflix, no dining out with friends) for the rest of my life so I'm covered in case something maybe happens someday that I need it. And that wouldn't include the fact that I'd be incapable of putting money back for vacations or even for home repairs or vet bills for pets, etc.

That's why people are reluctant to jump on the "take 1/3rd of my pay" bandwagon. Selfish? Maybe. But that's what a lot of people see when the topic is brought up.
    That is the whole point of an insurance type health care system whether it be gov or privately funded. To average out the costs over the covered population so that it does not impinge too much on anyone person. So 50 people in that pool might not need it but then 1 person does and the total payments by that 50 cover that 1. Right now you are lucky and not that 1. But do you feel lucky for the rest of your life?

Deleted

What is really selfish, is demanding that other people pay for the things you want.
    But its cheaper with collective bargaining...then you have a safety net which benefits all of society.

Do you have health insurance? You can't take his 30% number and apply it to your income.

I pay 40 dollars a month for my government funded health insurance.
    I do, good point.

Okay, putting that money back in my pocket, I'd have an extra $180/month or so. So $280 a month for non-essential spending. Still not going to build up emergency funds or have much of any leisure activity with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    The fact you a speaking about him in the past tense makes me think he probably should have.
    Well, he died at th e age of 68 after being kiled instantly in a car accident.

10+ Year Old Account
    So start a voluntary program where everyone will get a minimum income.
    This isn't how society works or has worked, ever. Taxes are absolutely necessary for it to function.

It's easy to compromise when you are demanding that others do the sacrificing so you can get the things you want.
    What on earth makes you think I wouldn't be paying a levy towards single-payer healthcare?

My grandfather never went to the doctor.
    Nobody gives a shit. It's an anecdote and nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    But its cheaper with collective bargaining...then you have a safety net which benefits all of society.
    If the system is so great, then you should have no problem getting everyone on board.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

I dont want health insurance, but it's a necessity. You're being selfish by arbitrarily increasing the price of it but decreasing the pool size and efficiency.

You keep calling for a "voluntary single payer program", which is just insurance. You've been told this several times already. You're either a troll or a very, VERY, dense individual, who would probably benefit from a state funded mental health program.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This isn't how society works or has worked, ever. Taxes are absolutely necessary for it to function.

What on earth makes you think I wouldn't be paying a levy towards single-payer healthcare?

Nobody gives a shit. It's an anecdote and nothing more.
    And taxes are a restriction of freedom. Theore you take away, the more freedom you strip from others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, he died at th e age of 68 after being kiled instantly in a car accident.
    Well, thanks for confirming yourself as a troll.

- - - Updated - - -

And taxes are a restriction of freedom. Theore you take away, the more freedom you strip from others.
    Your point being what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    If the system is so great, then you should have no problem getting everyone on board.
    Live in the UK, everyone (apart from some right wing shit bergs who want to privitise it and get rich) does.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    It is a good system with high quality equipment and medicine but that is mostly because of the private aspects of it.

Japanese doctors are just awful, they essentially go to medical school to monkey around for a few years and then learn everything they need to while on residency. I would never let a Japanese doctor in a public hospital preform surgery on me unless I was literally dying. This is part of the reason why the top profession for expats in Japan outside of business is private practices in medicine.

http://www.economist.com/node/21528660
    https://michaelperelman.wordpress.co...h-care-is-bad/

It is just an undeniable fact that American doctors are the best in the world, there is a reason why half of the top 50 medical schools in the world are in the United States.
    Wow... just... wow. You're properly indoctrinated. Jesus... It's like Cybran only... the opposite of it.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I dont want health insurance, but it's a necessity.

You keep calling for a "voluntary single payer program", which is just insurance. You've been told this several times already. You're either a troll or a very, VERY, dense individual, who probably benefit from a state funded mental health program.
    Why is health insurance a necessity? That's right, some fols in govern made it mandatory.

Then start a voluntary single payer program. Otherwis3, you simply want to take away the freedoms of others in order to buy the things you want. That's pretty selfish of you.
    Again I and others have shown how it increases peoples freedoms more than it reduces them, and which you have not been able to refute.

So why are you saying something you now know to be factually wrong and perpetuating falsehoods?

And before you come out with more whataboutery, if it decreases freedoms then show how the points on it improving peoples freedom that have been made are factually wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Well, thanks for confirming yourself as a troll.

- - - Updated - - -

Your point being what.
    I'm a troll because my grandfather died in a car accident?

My point is the same as it has always been, people often have a problem with their freedoms being taken away.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is health insurance a necessity? That's right, some fols in govern made it mandatory.
    I didn't realize government made it mandatory for people to get sick or injured.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look a thread with Machismo in it - Let me guess:

Taxes & Laws = Taking Away Freedoms, Pushing Beliefs On Others, Stealing Money From People, and my personal favorite....False Analogies to back up his trolling?

That about cover it?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Oh look a thread with Machismo in it - Let me guess:

Taxes & Laws = Taking Away Freedoms, Pushing Beliefs On Others, Stealing Money From People, and my personal favorite....False Analogies to back up his trolling?

That about cover it?
    That about sums it up.

Oh his grandfather died, probably because he couldn't afford to get the required medical attention after his car accident.