Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard on Cancelled MMO: "We Failed Horrifically"

So, they are human. They do make mistakes.

Update:
    As of 2:31 PM, Friday, April 22, 2016 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

The 20 minute Blizzard interview video that was on the linked GameSpot page has been replaced with a 2 minute "News Update".
    Sorry folks.

New link:
    http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-s.../2300-6431806/
    Last edited by Mullet Man; 2016-04-22 at 02:36 PM.

Thank you captain obvious. Now let's find out what idiotic way you try and spin this into why Legacy server's are a God-given Right.

Contribute constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-22 at 02:28 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Thank you captain obvious. Now let's find out what idiotic way you try and spin this into why Legacy server's are a God-given Right.
    Ouch! Why the instant hostility?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post

WoW will always be my "Main" PC game, other pc games i'll still play but less like star trk online/star wars/final fantays and aeriagames
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

That is a cool documentary i cant wait for parts 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post

such a weird concept that they spent millions over many years and we've seen absolutely nothing of the game.
    I wonder if that same dev who told us "you think you do, but you don't" was the guy to pull Titans plug.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Who said it was hostile? A simple statement of fact. Your posting history is pretty much what like 95%+ in Nost threads and a huge part of your argument there was blizzard wasn't perfect therefore they are irrefutably wrong about legacy servers. To be quiet honest it'd be weirder if you don't tie this back into Nost somehow. I'd be quite happy to be wrong and wont continue to derail the thread if that's the case.
    It was popular enough to get blizzard to take them to court. Obv some people want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    such a weird concept that they spent millions over many years and we've seen absolutely nothing of the game.
    I wonder if that same dev who told us "you think you do, but you don't" was the guy to pull Titans plug.
    Not really. Happens for other game studios and industry. It is not unusual for companies to cancel develops and change focus.

I wonder how much the defence spends on projects that never saw completion. Some aspects of it may salvage but the majority are shelved.

The most important part of this is that team that failed creating Titan was the team responsible for the best days of Wow many of them left after what was crowned the best era of WoW that being Wotlk some maybe after or before but you have one common theme these guys on Ow made WoW the giant it is today and none of them are on it anymore other than Metz end off and on.

If you want to see what went wrong with wow after Wotlk look no further than that. Jeff Kaplan who's done so much good for OW who is constantly playing it as much as he can he's on various streams playing he doesn't hide he's the main dev he answers questions said steamers chat room has. He makes Mondays have a vlog of the future plans he patches things.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Not really if you think about it for two seconds. All new projects are risks. And Blizzard's scrapped quite a few projects, Ghost anyone, when they felt they couldn't execute. And i'd say ghost looked pretty good. If it sucks you cut your losses, even Warren Buffet has made bad investments and he's arguably the greatest investor we've ever seen in modern history.

Now let's pretend that for a second that Blizzard expects to make a loss on investing in Legacy servers. I know I know that's causing your mind to vomit at the incomprehensibility of that reality but please try. Their math/economists/market analyists/developers and all their game/market data give them the ability to predict with a very high level of confidence that it would fail and be lucky to recoup costs. You have a choice between investing in that or a new project proposed by previously successful Devs that has chance to be close in success to previous titles they've developed. Which do you choose?
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get back on topic, please. Do not attack other posters.

OT: I don't remember Titan being billed as the "successor" to WoW. I don't even remember them saying it was an MMO, just that it was a NEW IP, unrelated to the any existing ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    They often were recruiting for what they openly billed as a new IP MMO. see these results: https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It was pretty clear that, unless they were misdirecting, it wasn't a WoW successor but an MMO based on new IP. I'd be very interested in hearing why they thought it was a failure (Titan, I mean) and whether it was in the world of Overwatch or was utterly different.
    Last edited by clevin; 2016-04-22 at 02:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well they can be fairly sober and introspective about failures when they want to be. I wonder what the WoD failure article will read like.

They are always their own worst critics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The wow team isn't as good as OW team so they won't say it

a nice video basically admitting why WoW has got so much worse, blizzard was basically ready to bury it with Titan moving all the big names from wow on to the new project, i mean you can't expect people to play 2 mmo's and of course blizzard would expect you to pay a sub fee for Titan why wouldn't they, it made them a fortune from WoW charging a sub.

now blizzard is desperately trying to keep WoW going, but have they put in enough effort with legion, or is it just a life support expansion like WoD, WoW needs a full team not a skeleton team because everyone was working on a new bigger better mmo.

edit: i'm not a mod but PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT NOST.

Its sad to see the people at Blizzard still won't admit what made Blizzard special to begin with.

Battle.net 1.0.

The original bnet was amazing. It was a graphical chatroom where kids could easily meet, socialize, and maybe hop into a game or two. The games were actually not as important. Sure, you could have played Diablo, Starcraft or Warcraft on bnet, but you could have altered the course of history and removed those 3 and replaced them with any 3 decent titles and bnet would still have made them a rabid success.

The secret formula was that Blizzard offered an amazing social experience for kids. World of Warcraft used to offer that as well, until they removed global chat, adder LFR, phasing, bodyguards, etc. They sit there and say the games were great and that's what was special. But they are wrong. And they still don't get it.

I still want to know who designed bnet 1.0 and what that person or group thinks of what has happened to the social experience in Blizzard games. Bnet 2.0 is a disaster.

I watch that video and I'm thinking. "Metzen, dude, you've just gotta go. They've gotta fire you. You don't get it. You don't understand why there was success so how can you fix this?"
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2016-04-22 at 02:46 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmkyungri View Post
    The wow team isn't as good as OW team so they won't say it
    People keep wanting to believe this kind of nonsense. Clearly a lot of people move around between their various teams.

A distinct group of people on the forums really, really want to find a guy, let's call him Bob, who is single handedly responsible for everything they dislike in some or all of Blizzard's games. There is no Bob in reality, Blizzard has heaps of designers and a complex collaborative design process.

But they desperately need a Bob because then when they see something they don't like they can say "God damnit, Bob. Why doesn't Blizzard just fire Bob?".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    a nice video basically admitting why WoW has got so much worse, blizzard was basically ready to bury it with Titan moving all the big names from wow on to the new project, i mean you can't expect people to play 2 mmo's and of course blizzard would expect you to pay a sub fee for Titan why wouldn't they, it made them a fortune from WoW charging a sub.

now blizzard is desperately trying to keep WoW going, but have they put in enough effort with legion, or is it just a life support expansion like WoD, WoW needs a full team not a skeleton team because everyone was working on a new bigger better mmo.

edit: i'm not a mod but PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT NOST.
    I feel if they did create another MMO it would need to be completely different aspects from WoW, and they were probably having a hard time trying to figure out how to do that without killing WoW. For example, EQ2 tried to do too many new things while also maintain some of the EQ spirit imo which ended up not really destroying EQ1, but destroying EQ2. I feel the same about the FFXIV 1.0. Tried to do FFXI, but with a bunch of failed uniqueness to differentiate. Anyways, what I'm ultimately trying to get at is my experience with 1 company trying to create 2 similar MMOs doesn't work out when the first one is still heavily invested in.

Completely forgot about Titan. Wonder if it's possible that we'll see Blizzard attempting another MMO after WoW.